Got a Question

Options
I am trying to put on muscle but I want to get rid off the fat I have too. Is It possible to do both those things at the same time or are the two mutually exclusive?

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    yes thats why there s c ardio/ strength training
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Of course its entirely possible,
    eat a slight calorie deficit, do strength training 3x a week and cardio 3x a week, and one day of rest, so you can recover, there are no absolutes in any of this, make a good fitness plan for yourself, look at your overall health goals , and make a plan that works for it , get some good long term supportive friends in on it and go for the gold.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it is you cannot do both at the same time. Gaining anything (muscle or fat) means eating extra, so your body can build something. Losing anything means eating less than you burn, so your body is forced to get rid of excess mass. Strength training while eating less than you burn can help you retain muscle by convincing your body that you need the muscle more than the fat (since you could be lifting heavy things at any moment, your body better be ready), but it won't really let your muscles get bigger.

I've seen people on here do "bulk and cut" cycles, which is when they take a period of time to eat extra and work out toward the goal of building muscle, alternated with periods of time eating at a deficit and working out toward the goal of retaining muscle while the body uses up excess fat.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but you're going to have to have a really strict diet and intense exercise routine, and your body is going to hate you (i.e. you are going to feel like ****). I put on muscle and lost weight with the following: approximately 1800 calories per day. At least 100 grams protein. Around 150 grams carb. Training 6-7 days per week. Boxing 90 minutes 5 days per week, bootcamp 1 day per week, and trail running one day per week. After a month, I lost 2-4 lbs, but my arms had increased 1" in diameter and my bodyfat had gone down 5%. However, my performance was horrible, and I felt like I was dying.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

Unless you're a serious bodybuilder it's not so hard. But be realistic about your expectations. If you are pushing so hard that your quality of life is affected then it's probably time to back off a bit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    may be possible, is very hard... do one then the other, in a series of bulk/cut cycles till you get where you want to be.
  • cameroneedy
    cameroneedy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone for the info. You guys are a big help.