Is there any reason not to eat a Steak every Day?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of any specific health concerns that come with that much beef that are not caused by overall fat consumption?

Red meat has been associated with an icreased risk of disease, but the problem is the most studies put processed red meat like bacon and sausage in the same category as non-processed red meat like steak. I saw a meta-analysis recently that found little to no risk associated with non-processed red meat. But really there needs to be more study that differentiates between them to know the full story.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that these are baseline needs for strength training, and not what is considered optimal. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of conclusive evidence for what the optimal amount of protein for building and maintaining muscle mass is, so the common wisdom of 1 gram or slightly more per pound of LBM is probably a wise move.

Thanks BI!

The research is out there and easily found at a website called scholar.google.com

I had a few articles until Monday when I had a full windows meltdown and lost ALL DATA. Basically, there is research showing that .6-.8g is optimal. Over it is waste. Again, go look it up, don't take my word for it.

I'm not going to argue about what may or may not be on google. I'm having pretty good luck listening to a few key people and I've seen the difference in myself with higher protein intakes. Feel free to go with the baseline numbers.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    mmm heart disease!!!!

red meat is disgusting.

How exactly does red meat specifically cause heart disease?
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that these are baseline needs for strength training, and not what is considered optimal. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much in the way of conclusive evidence for what the optimal amount of protein for building and maintaining muscle mass is, so the common wisdom of 1 gram or slightly more per pound of LBM is probably a wise move.

Thanks BI!

The research is out there and easily found at a website called scholar.google.com

I had a few articles until Monday when I had a full windows meltdown and lost ALL DATA. Basically, there is research showing that .6-.8g is optimal. Over it is waste. Again, go look it up, don't take my word for it.

I'm not going to argue about what may or may not be on google. I'm having pretty good luck listening to a few key people and I've seen the difference in myself with higher protein intakes. Feel free to go with the baseline numbers.

I think the whole issue is more a thing of faith and believe. it may also depend on the amino acid profile or the individual but i don't really know. I eat the amount I eat because it works.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I had steak twice this week to break my fast-cubed it up and pan cooked it with butter, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Pure awesomeness.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Thanks BI!

There are a lot that show more than that is optimal for most of the population on here - on a caloric restriction and exercising.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    mmm heart disease!!!!

red meat is disgusting.

As stated somewhere above: Processed Red meat is linked to heart desease in some studies.

But this is about Steak.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Did you read the article?

"“The studies of red meat and heart disease in humans are conflicting,” says Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian, associate professor of medicine at Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women’s Hospital. “This new research was well-done and compelling, but it’s too early to decide that this molecule, TMAO, causes atherosclerosis in humans or that this is responsible for some of the associations of meat intake and risk.”

Dr. Mozaffarian, a cardiologist and epidemiologist, studies the health effects of dietary habits and other lifestyle factors in large populations. His team has previously pooled the findings of the best studies available on red meat and health and found that people who eat unprocessed red meat regularly have, at worst, only a slightly higher risk of developing heart disease. Unprocessed red meat includes virtually all fresh cuts of beef, pork, lamb, and the like.

“If you look at people who eat unprocessed red meat, there is a relatively weak association with heart disease,” Dr. Mozaffarian says. “It’s not protective—and healthier dietary choices exist—but major harms are also not seen.”

In the bigger picture, we do have pretty damning evidence about the harms of eating a particular type of meat. “Processed red meats—bacon, sausage, salami, deli meats—are associated with much higher risk of heart disease,” Dr. Mozaffarian says.

Research at the Harvard School of Public Health has shown that people who eat the most processed meats have a higher overall risk of death. The ultimate reason for this is not yet clear, says Dr. Mozaffarian, but it may be the huge doses of sodium delivered by all those low-fat deli sandwiches and salami-festooned platters.

And here comes other spoilers against the L-carnitine study: Processed meats generally contain less L-carnitine than does fresh red meat. Heart-healthy fish and chicken also contain L-carnitine, Dr. Mozaffarian points out—although five to 10 times less of it than red meat. “TMAO needs to be studied more in humans to understand the implications for public health,” Dr. Mozaffarian says. “This new research is very interesting but is not yet the final word.”

To further complicate matters, a study published online today in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings suggests that supplements of L-carnitine may help heart attack survivors reduce the chances of dying prematurely or reduce symptoms of angina (chest pain with exertion or stress)."

And this is from Harvard who are very biased with regard to their stance on meat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    mmm heart disease!!!!

red meat is disgusting.

As stated somewhere above: Processed Red meat is linked to heart desease in some studies.

But this is about Steak.

Yep - that was why I asked.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Does your family history lead to concerns over cholesterol, etc? My 80 y.o. father has eaten two fried eggs for breakfast (plus a slab of ham and bowl of oatmeal) and a steak for dinner most days of the week for the last 50 years. No cardiac issues. No cancers.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

I'll feel free to go with whatever I please.

Best of luck listening to your chosen experts. I'll follow existing science. BFD as long as it ends up in results.

Sarauk2sf - I've not seen many that show a correlation to better performance being achieved at higher numbers, but the studies I specifically kept were more for the "everyman" the weightlosers and the weekend warriors as compared to competing athletes. I would expect the competing athletes to have considerably higher needs straight across the board.
  • jmessina205
    jmessina205 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had steak twice this week to break my fast-cubed it up and pan cooked it with butter, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Pure awesomeness.

Minus the mushrooms that sounds like heaven!!
  • BeachIron
    Options

I'll feel free to go with whatever I please.

Best of luck listening to your chosen experts. I'll follow existing science. BFD as long as it ends up in results.

Sarauk2sf - I've not seen many that show a correlation to better performance being achieved at higher numbers, but the studies I specifically kept were more for the "everyman" the weightlosers and the weekend warriors as compared to competing athletes. I would expect the competing athletes to have considerably higher needs straight across the board.

Rather than being argumentative for the sake of burning the extra calories, go read what some of the respected experts actually do have to say on the subject. So far you've cited google. Try Lyle McDonald, for example.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    As long as you can handle the cholesterol, go for it!

9aojzm.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does your family history lead to concerns over cholesterol, etc? My 80 y.o. father has eaten two fried eggs for breakfast (plus a slab of ham and bowl of oatmeal) and a steak for dinner most days of the week for the last 50 years. No cardiac issues. No cancers.

I'm glad to hear your father is healthy, but it's pretty meaningless to this discussion. My grandfather lived into his 90's smoking cigarettes every day. No cancer. That doesn't mean smoking won't cause health problems.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Only if you have problems with awesome and deliciousness
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    [
    Rather than being argumentative for the sake of burning the extra calories, go read what some of the respected experts actually do have to say on the subject. So far you've cited google. Try Lyle McDonald, for example.

Then after I can take a heaping dose of Contreras.
    This is not an expert:
    This led him to pursue a bachelor's of science degree in Kinesiology from the University of California at Los Angeles.

I didn't quote google specifically, but gave a link to scholar.google.com, which is where google has a search engine for peer reviewed scientific articles. I prefer my experts to have PhDs.
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I just know I've heard a lot of bad things about red meat on the regular.

Could always just see what the research out there has to say on the matter, but there will always be something new.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    [

Then after I can take a heaping dose of Contreras.
    This is not an expert:
    This led him to pursue a bachelor's of science degree in Kinesiology from the University of California at Los Angeles.

I didn't quote google specifically, but gave a link to scholar.google.com, which is where google has a search engine for peer reviewed scientific articles. I prefer my experts to have PhDs.

Then try Layne Norton. Look, I've read the one of the recent studies that discuss the .7/.8 per pound of LBM and I tried it in this cut that I'm still on. I've lost strength and muscle mass in the process at a surprising rate. Then I again started listening to what these experts are saying and I've bumped the protein back up as a result. I know you want to read some perfect information and do it exactly that way, I do too, but you're going to have to be willing to accept that it doesn't always work that way. Keep up your weight loss, go through a few bulk and cut cycles, learn about how your body works when sub-15% body fat, and then let's talk. I'm finding that the details that I didn't worry about when I was losing the first time around matter now. Do they matter to you right now? Probably not.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Only if you have problems with awesome and deliciousness

Here's my problem with the awesome and deliciousness of steak EVERY SINGLE DAY. It will get to be old hat. There is plenty of other food out there that is also awesome and delicious (bacon for example) and if you have the other awesome food 2 days a week then the bloom will never be off the steak rose...