Increasing weight for lifts - best way/time?

Options
savithny
savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
I'm lifting weights at home with dumbbells. I'm old and had let myself lose a lot of muscle, so I started low (3#) to get technique down, but I've pretty quickly advanced to 5#, 8# and now 10#, and I"m feeling great about it.

At 10#, I looked at the cost of the next set of dumbells and bought an adjustable set instead. However, because of the weights that came with it, the next weight I can make with my set is 15#. I know that's not "heavy," but its a 50% jump over what I'm on now. I'm still at the point where I'm on the edge of losing good form on the last rep of my set at this point.

What's the best way to increase when your increments are that big a percentage? Should I stick at 10# until its pretty easy and then go to 15#, or should I go to 15# as soon as possible even if I can't do the full 8 reps/set for the program I'm following?

Replies

• bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Start with lower reps until you can comfortably do them all.

For example, if you are supposed to do 3 sets of 8 reps, do 3 sets of 5 reps.. Then move up to 6, then 7, and finally 8. That way you don't hurt yourself.
  • savithny
    Options
    Thanks!

I'm thinking I should be able to do at least 4-5 reps with good form to move up, though?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i'm betting that you're capable of lifting a lot more weight than you think you can
  • bonitacash08
    Options
    Thanks!

I'm thinking I should be able to do at least 4-5 reps with good form to move up, though?

Weeellll that depends on your program. If you're strictly sticking to that, then you should get to your 8 reps.

However, if you're open to trying something new I would recommend trying Stronglifts 5x5. That program has you lifting as heavy as you can (AS HEAVY AS YOU CAN WITH GOOD FORM) for 5 sets of 5 reps. You'd be surprised at how strong you are.

Like I said, it all depends on what you're looking to accomplish
  • savithny
    Options
    To the best of my understanding, Stronglifts would require a gym membership for me for the equipment?

My current goal is to work at home on getting up to a good baseline.
    I used to be pretty strong, but I'm over 40, and just not doing the physical lifting I used to do, I really lost a lot of strength over the last couple of years, and I didn't realize it until I picked up the light weights and felt like a puny weakling.

I don't want to go to the gym and find out I can't even lift the bar with good form :-( It's a university gym (I work in a college town) and there's not a lot of patience for little old ladies -- so I'm going to keep at it at home for awhile yet.
  • bonitacash08
    Options
    No actually the program can be started with dumbbells. There are modifications so that you could still squat, overhead press, barbell row, bench press, and probably even deadlift all with dumbbells up to a certain weight.

I wouldn't be too worried about going to a gym though. Honestly, everybody had to have a starting point you know? Everyone had a beginning and everyone has to get over the initial discomfort.

There's a Stronglifts 5x5 group here for women. They can answer more questions about modifying the program for dumbbells at home. You'll find that you'll move up in weight pretty quickly though.