Serious craving for chips

Options
Hi guys,

So I basically have a chip addiction. I can (and often do) literally eat a full-size bag to myself, every day. Obviously, this does not bode well for my calorie count. I've been really good at reducing the volume I'm intaking (I can now make a bag of chips last for 2, maybe even 3 days) but every time I eat them, I'm appalled at how much of my calorie count they consume. I want to get away from them completely, but that's really hard. So, I'm wondering, what do you guys turn to when you're craving something salty, crunchy, and convenient?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You could try cracker chips, like these: http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kelloggs-special-k-cracker-chips-cheddar.html

They probably won't kill your calorie count like regular chips do. You could also even try the baked version of regular chips - a lot of brands have a version like that. I don't really care for these as much as I do cracker chips, but I have always liked crackers better anyway. x3
  • segoviaj048
    Options
    You could always buy some individual bags (I think they're like 150 calories each?) and see if that curbs your craving for the day? I know it's easier said than done, but maybe give that a try just to see if you can make it with just that.
    Special K makes some good chip products...they have popcorn chips and 'crisps' that I used to get. Even my 4 year old begged for them.

Good luck!
  • lynseytaylo
    lynseytaylo Posts: 10
    Options
    I have a munch on rice cakes with some low fat philly and even sprinkle some fresh coriander on the top. hits the spot for me.
  • kgillis87
    kgillis87 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Awesome suggestions guys. Thanks for sharing!
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I eat the Special K Cracker Chips as well. They come in all sorts of flavours and you get the crunch with the salty taste at only 80 calories for 20 chips. I take them for lunch every day and I've lost 152 lbs, so they haven't hindered my progress at all.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Weighing your portions for things like this can be sobering. So I'd suggest allowing yourself a single serving of this stuff a day.

Suggestions for alternatives: try seasoned nori. It's nutritionally amazing and very low in calories, and if you prefer a savory snack, it should satisfy the craving. They sell it at Whole Foods-type stores and of course in Japanese and Korean groceries.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I used to have those cravings, too. Then I switched to cereal. No chips, just dry cereal. I will get Fiber One in a variety of forms, weigh out a single serving and I get my crunch craving covered! (how's that for alliteration!?)
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Try pop chips! They are made with potato and have no artificial whatever in them. They are tasty too :)

If you really need the chips in just exercise a bit more to get more of a calorie allowance :)
  • FenTwinsMama
    Options
    I love my chips too. I thought my heart was going to stop when I read the calories tho. I buy the small bags in an assortment. They are between 150-160 calories a bag and they satisfy my craving.
  • kklemarow
    kklemarow Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Popchips! Salt & Vinegar or the Cracked Pepper flavours are delicious!
  • Fisherdh13
    Fisherdh13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out the allure? Crunch? Salt? Fat? For me it was crunch and salt. Yes, individual portions helps. Keep it out of sight. :-) Lightly salted brown rice cakes cover it for me. When I really want something, restaurant style tortilla chips (less salt than you would expect) works for me. Keep after it, you'll get it under control. :-)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Oh, also kale chips. You can buy them or make your own.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    When you said chips, I thought you meant these: :laugh:

chips600_zpseeb29b27.jpg

So, obviously I'm from the UK so I don't know how many of these 'crisps' :wink: you will have there, but these are some of the things I eat, and they are tasty!

Quavers
    Squares
    Skips
    Ryvita Minis
    Individual bag of Twiglets
    Walkers French Fries

All under 100 cals.

Or, try making your own popcorn and just using salt for flavouring. Low in cals and to be honest, most of the time I prefer it to crisps.
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Low fat pretzels, special k chips, fat free pringles,, but still you have to eat them in moderation. You can also eat celery with a shake of salt on it , it is crunchy and salty.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Special K butter flavor popcorn chips or pretzels and hummus...LOVEEEE!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Lentils! You can roast them yourself; they are a great source of fiber and can be a salty crunchy snack.

Soak lentils in 4 cups of water in a medium bowl for 4-6 hours. The longer you soak, the less chance the lentils will cause gas or bloating when you eat them.
    When the lentils are ready, preheat oven to 350F, drain and rinse them really well before spreading across a 13×9 rimmed baking sheet and sprinkling with salt.
    Bake in preheated oven on the middle rack for 30-35 minutes, or until lentils are crisp and crunchy. When complete, allow to cool to room temperature.

Source: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/04/beach-bum-lentil-trail-mix-nut-free/
  • vjm7981
    vjm7981 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love the fat free Pringles Sour Cream and Onion. I am also obsessed with Andy Capp Hot Fries :laugh:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    haha i'm in the uk - i thought you meant fries. do you guys have quavers, wotsits etc - they are pretty low cal. or salted pop-corn, if you make it yourself :)
  • Silver14
    Silver14 Posts: 141
    Options
    Fresh air popped popcorn with EVOO and salt. Yummy!
    Or roast some chickpeas in EVOO and your fave spices! Salty, crunchy, high protein!
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Try carrots or celery. It helps with the need to chew on crunchy chips. Fills you up too.