HELP! INDIAN RESTAURANT!!

Options
13»

Replies

• staceybradleywells
    staceybradleywells Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Chicken Shashlik is a winner with me. It's a tandoori dish, so no sauce, and is served with salad. :D

I agree any tandoori dish would be good no/less sauces. One of my fav's is tandoori Salmon, but anything tandoori is good.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I would eat lightly for the rest of the day and enjoy myself at the meal.

One day out of the week will not be "two steps back"

I agree with this fellow pal
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I would do this.

Order biriyani as well as chicken tikka masala, 2 aloo naans, and a ton of mango chutney.

Then I'd eat all the things.

and get on with life. It's a single meal.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Biryani. Been doing it for years. It works.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Just order whatever you want, the only way you can take a step back is by not enjoying these "special" occasions!!!

Also Indian food is terrible!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Eat and don't beat yourself up about it.
    Are you seriously planning on never really enjoying food again?

Eat less earlier in the day. Exercise more. Write it all down and move forward without guilt.
  • Libi_KK
    Libi_KK Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    .... and after reading this I desperately need to go for Indian food. Sigh, too bad its two hours away! *angry first at rural community*

Also, dont be afraid to throw out your left overs! Eat half of your plate, or until you are full, and dont feel that you have to bring the rest back with you. It isnt wasteful to get rid of it, its wasteful fo them to give us so much more than we need.

Agree with the fist shaking there.

You can always plate half immediately as take away for lunch the next day, then you won't be tempted to eat until it is gone.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I would say enjoy it but just a little planning goes a long way. See if you can find a menu online. Chose lean protein dishes that are obviously not fried and try and take it easy on the bread and starches. Chicken Tandoori and Chicken Tikka Masala are good choices. Ask for the vegetables without additional oil, butter, or salt added.
  • mrsowen2012
    mrsowen2012 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I think I am just more worried about it as it is my first time eating out since starting my new healthier me regime!

Thanks for all your hints and tips. I will have to go for something completely opposite to what I normally would go for so I'm excited about trying out new food.

Thank you all for giving me the confidence in this. I didn't know much about Indian food as I would normally just go for a korma - yes the typical British Girl with a korma! Very stereotypical.

I joined a gym today after going for some trials earlier on this week so this will also help me the morning of and the day after!

I shall let you all know how I got on the day after. Feel free to add me but please drop me a message first so I know you're not a computer! Xxx
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Chicken tikka with salad is pretty low cal (guessing in the US it's mainly called tandoori chicken, based on the other replies). Don't know if there is a north/south difference here too, but to clarify, I mean the dry chicken dish that's usually cooked on skewers over a charcoal grill, or in a tandoor oven. like this: http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/chicken-tikka-recipe.html I know up here in yorkshire you can always have chicken tikka as a starter, and a lot of restaurants also serve a main sized portion too

Nope they are different (in India & the US) - chicken tikka is what you described, pieces of chicken cooked on skewers in a tandoor ("tikka" literally means piece), so they are boneless white meat. Tandoori chicken is whole pieces, so could be a breast, thigh, whatever. Otherwise the spices/cooking method is the same, but places usually have both on the menu - Tikkas for appetizers & tandoori chicken as an entree.

I agree that this is the best choice - tikka masala and kormas are full of cream, so stay away from those.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    chicken tikka breast, side salad and raita
  • vivaldirules
    vivaldirules Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ha! I now face this identical situation tomorrow with a dozen old friends at my favorite Indian restaurant which serves lunch ....... buffet style. ARGH!!!! At least I now have all your suggestions available to me. Now I need to formulate a plan. Rule #1: one plate only. Rule #2: avoid sauces, potatoes, rice, and anything fried. Rule #3: be mindful of everything that goes in my mouth. Rule #4: indulge in friendships, not food. Wish me luck!