Machines at the gym

Options
Flab2fitfi
Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
There seems to be lots of talk on here about doing free weights etc but not much about using the machines - such as leg extenders, pull downes and Hip abductors in the gym.

I've have seen some comments that free weights are the only weight to go. I tend to go the maximum weight possible - burns after 10 reps and do 2 sets of 16 of each machine.

I also do cardio and kettle bells workouts. I have one session with the Pt for Tough Mudder training - lots of burpees, squats and planks.

what i was wondering is if this machines actually do something - i think they do and there seems to be some quite fit people using them but they do seems to get bad press on here.

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I still use a lot of the machines. They are giving you slightly less benefit than free weights (because you're not using other muscles to stabilize your movement), but they are more convenient to set up and much safer for beginners like me.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    whatever your goals are, free weights will get you there faster than machines. machines lock you in a position that sometimes isn't anatomically correct for your body or may not move in the way your body was designed to move. They also tend to isolate muscles or muscle groups in manner that your stabilizing muscle groups don't get any work at all.

One example: if you need to pick up a heavy box off the floor, do you hitch your toe under the edge of in and extend your leg out to bring it up to the level of your hands (leg extension machine). Or do you squeeze your legs around it really tight and then bring it up between your thighs (abduction machine)? Do you press the outside of your foot to the box and raise your leg sideways to bring it up (adduction machine)? Hook your heel to it and curl it up (leg curl machine)?

Doubtful. You probably squat down low, wrap your hands around it, and use your leg, glute, and back muscles working in unison to pick the box up. Squats and/or deadlifts work the way your body was designed to work and even better, you can do 1 or 2 exercises instead of using 6 or 7 machines. We just used 4 machines to work legs and we still haven't touched calves, back, traps or forearms yet. All those muscles would receive work while squatting or deadlifting.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    ^^ Fantastic response!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    whatever your goals are, free weights will get you there faster than machines. machines lock you in a position that sometimes isn't anatomically correct for your body or may not move in the way your body was designed to move. They also tend to isolate muscles or muscle groups in manner that your stabilizing muscle groups don't get any work at all.

One example: if you need to pick up a heavy box off the floor, do you hitch your toe under the edge of in and extend your leg out to bring it up to the level of your hands (leg extension machine). Or do you squeeze your legs around it really tight and then bring it up between your thighs (abduction machine)? Do you press the outside of your foot to the box and raise your leg sideways to bring it up (adduction machine)? Hook your heel to it and curl it up (leg curl machine)?

Doubtful. You probably squat down low, wrap your hands around it, and use your leg, glute, and back muscles working in unison to pick the box up. Squats and/or deadlifts work the way your body was designed to work and even better, you can do 1 or 2 exercises instead of using 6 or 7 machines. We just used 4 machines to work legs and we still haven't touched calves, back, traps or forearms yet. All those muscles would receive work while squatting or deadlifting.

^^This. Also free weights, specifically the barbell with compound lifts, will help you learn to balance the weight better. Machines can be handy for doing isolation work on specific muscle groups, but you gain a lot more functional strength using free weights.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Weight machines are better than nothing, but free weights are better than weight machines.

Advantages of weight machines:

* easy to figure out (there are picture instructions on them)
    * not intimidating to newbies
    * easy to increase weight in small increments
    * potentially useful as assistance exercises for more advanced lifters interested in isolation lifts
    * do not require a spotter

Advantages of compound lifts with free weights:
    * build functional strength
    * train multiple muscles at once
    * improve balance and 3-d awareness
    * get you there faster than isolation exercises because you only need three to four types of lifts per session
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I have the New Rules for lifting for Women but must admit the weights room in the gym is usually full of men and quite scary.

I will get my PT to take me in there one session and have a go and see how I get on with free weight. I'd rather do free weights as then I can do it at home once I've go the proper form etc.