i dont like veggies....help?

Options
Hi, I am lynsey, ive not got any weddings coming up or big nights out on the cards. Ive just got on the scales and realized im a big fatty and need to sort it out. Im looking for some new friends to help me out here?

After getting on the scales last week and realizing i need to go on a diet, i have today bought new digital scales which have put another 8 pound on me! so feeling totally bummed out and more determined.

Im trying to keep to 1200 calories a day. Im a really fussy eater, i dont like vegtables (at all) i can tolerate fruit. Has anyone got any low calorie recipies not involving loading up on veg?

Thanks

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    first of all 1200 caleries is to few unless u are 120 pounds
    im 201 and do 1720 caleries. so u might wanna rethink that......

ccardio- 60 minutes aday

u can lose weight and be healthy without veggies........
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    what knind of low cal recipes???
    put low cal recipes
    in browser
  • lynseytaylo
    lynseytaylo Posts: 10
    Options
    im a busy mum with a full time shift job and i really havnt got time to do 60 mins of cardio. Im tring to squeeze in maybe 15-20 mins where i can. As for the calorie counting, thats what has been recommended on the website when i entered all my details.
  • deemariepal
    Options
    Smoothies and raw juices are a great way to get fruit and veges especially if you don't like them. You can also throw in flax and yogurt to make it more filling and healthier.
  • lynseytaylo
    Options
    Thanks i will have a look at the website x
  • brendakiss5
    Options
    Hello, Nice to meet you!!
    I would suggest trying to add some veggies like a handfull of spinich leaves to a fruit smoothie of strawberries and bananas or any other kind of fruit you like. It will blend in nicely and you most likely won't even know its there. Hope that helps.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I add about a cup of leafy spinach to my fruit smoothie...can't even taste the spinach!! (thought it doesn't turn an odd color of green)
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What do you eat? You say you don't like veggies - maybe not a plate of boiled cabbage and broccoli but can you eat pasta with a tomato sauce? What about soups? Is it the taste, the texture, or just the way you are used to eating? There are a lot of ways to improve your diet but a bit more detail will help people give you ideas.
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I agree with MissKitty above.. if you're not really into the veggie thing, try "hiding" them in casseroles, pasta dishes, omelettes, etc. It sounds silly but blending spinach in with some smoothie recipes is a neat way to sneak them in as well.

I can somewhat relate! I used to love vegetables but as of late, I have been hating frozen veggies. I have to eat raw veggies or fresh and steamed, never microwaved or boiled. It's a texture thing. :ohwell:

If you want to add me for support you're more than welcome to :flowerforyou:
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Try it in a smoothy or some vitamin.

Or just wash yuor veggies good and eat them raw!!! :)
  • lynseytaylo
    Options
    i basically dont like anything, broccolii, cauliflower, carrots, sweetpotato, peas, green beans....the list is endless. I just dont like the taste of them. its weird.
    i have tried to compensate over the years with fruit. I could eat a bit of salad, well, onion, peppers and lettuce. lol.
    Smoothies sounds like a great plan. Infact i have just stocked up on fruit today so i will try a smoothie today.

I cook alot with mushrooms and ive been using quorn mince(keeping the calories down) to make chilli and bolognaise. but im running out of ideas.
  • CMay16
    CMay16 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Another great website is Skinnytaste.com. Everything on her site is a-maz-ing, and on the lighter calorie side.
  • Danni520
    Danni520 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey! Im the same way! I hate all veggies. One thing that i learned to love though is hummus. instead of showing a bag of potato chips in my mouth, I have been eating snap peas and hummus. I don't know many recipes, because I'm a big snacker as opposed to big meal eater. I hope this helps.
  • hdyanneh
    hdyanneh Posts: 39
    Options
    Im not a veggie fan myself but I think its because I dont know how to cook them. Ive been trying the frozen "steamables" from birds eye and green giant and store brand and they are not too bad. Of course fresh is better but you gotta start somewhere...
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    I will just say to you what I say to my kids: "get over it, it's good for you, now eat it"
  • purpleprose78
    Options
    I like making big crockpot dishes with veggies mixed in with meat and spices. Right now, I'm eating chili with corn, beans, onions, tomatoes, and peppers. It is delicious and filling for a reasonable amount of calories. (Granted, my calorie goal is 1730 before exercise. I can't do super low calorie. Being hungry all the time makes me grumpy and usually results in a binge. I'm down 13 lbs since February 22 so for now this approach is working.)
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I cook alot with mushrooms and ive been using quorn mince(keeping the calories down) to make chilli and bolognaise. but im running out of ideas.

When my kids went through picky veg-hating phases I used to put veggies (courgette, pepper, carrots, celery, mushrooms, broccoli stalks) in the food processor to chop them into tiny pieces and then add them to things like chilli and bolognaise. The veg became hidden in the mince and they gobbled it down without a murmur of protest. Perhaps you can try fooling yourself in the same way! Also make 'hidden veg' sauce by making pasta sauce with lots of vegies in it and pureeing it. The tastes really do get lost and you get a good healthy low-cal meal.

If a serving of plain veg is unappealing, what about dishes where it's cut up and mixed in with a really tasty sauce that dominates the flavour such as a stir-fry or a curry? Also experiment with different ways of cooking them as this can totally change the taste. Have you tried roasting veggies? It changes the taste and texture. For example I really don't like boiled/steamed cauliflower but if it's cut into florettes, tossed in a tiny bit of oil and some spices then roasted it is so yummy. I do the same thing with little cubes of sweet potato and sometimes mix the two depending on what's in the fridge. Soups are also great. I don't like parsnips on their own but they make a fabulous soup, either lightly curried or with some apple. My mum used to boil cabbage to death and it was gross - I finely shred it and saute it with leeks, peas and a tiny bit of vegetable stock powder and the whole family loves it. Carrots cooked in a little orange juice, then pureed and mixed with a little greek yoghurt are really yummy. Look for different recipes featuring vegies and be brave about trying something new.

Edited to add: boiled courgette (zuchini) is watery and tasteless. Sauted with a bit of garlic it is gorgeous.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    im a busy mum with a full time shift job and i really havnt got time to do 60 mins of cardio. Im tring to squeeze in maybe 15-20 mins where i can. As for the calorie counting, thats what has been recommended on the website when i entered all my details.

For me personally, I believe it's important for parents to role model good eating habits, to include having children seeing mom eating & enjoying veggies. So I'd suggest trying various kinds and recipes, you might be pleasantly surprised. IME sometimes people assume they don't like veggies, when turns out they haven't given them a good try since childhood.

Good luck!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I will just say to you what I say to my kids: "get over it, it's good for you, now eat it"

Yup, my thought exactly ;)
  • lynseytaylo
    Options

When my kids went through picky veg-hating phases I used to put veggies (courgette, pepper, carrots, celery, mushrooms, broccoli stalks) in the food processor to chop them into tiny pieces and then add them to things like chilli and bolognaise. The veg became hidden in the mince and they gobbled it down without a murmur of protest. Perhaps you can try fooling yourself in the same way! Also make 'hidden veg' sauce by making pasta sauce with lots of vegies in it and pureeing it. The tastes really do get lost and you get a good healthy low-cal meal.

If a serving of plain veg is unappealing, what about dishes where it's cut up and mixed in with a really tasty sauce that dominates the flavour such as a stir-fry or a curry? Also experiment with different ways of cooking them as this can totally change the taste. Have you tried roasting veggies? It changes the taste and texture. For example I really don't like boiled/steamed cauliflower but if it's cut into florettes, tossed in a tiny bit of oil and some spices then roasted it is so yummy. I do the same thing with little cubes of sweet potato and sometimes mix the two depending on what's in the fridge. Soups are also great. I don't like parsnips on their own but they make a fabulous soup, either lightly curried or with some apple. My mum used to boil cabbage to death and it was gross - I finely shred it and saute it with leeks, peas and a tiny bit of vegetable stock powder and the whole family loves it. Carrots cooked in a little orange juice, then pureed and mixed with a little greek yoghurt are really yummy. Look for different recipes featuring vegies and be brave about trying something new.

Edited to add: boiled courgette (zuchini) is watery and tasteless. Sauted with a bit of garlic it is gorgeous.