Denied Job Advancement due to Body Size

Replies

• I always wanted to be a jockey.

n500e6146ead07large.gif

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • AleshaRae82
    AleshaRae82 Posts: 31 Member
    I appreciate your honesty and I can agree with you on that. My overweight stature has hindered me from doing a lot and I certainly see that reflected in my life now.

I work in the yachting industry and the current hiring trend for Concierge/Marketing Team has been slender, attractive people yet they lack the brains.

For the marketing director to ask me today if he could use my results as a base really put everything into perspective.
    He knows my desire to work with him - and agrees that I can handle the job.

Yet I will not get the job because I do not fit the image they are looking for??

I haven't been outright denied the position but his action truly speak for him.
    Am I wrong for thinking this?

Maybe it's not your size he sees as your barrier, but your lack of "go-getter" attitude. I don't mean that to be rude, but he hasn't said that was the reason or even hinted at it (from the info you given) just because he knows you would love the position doesn't mean he sees the fire in your eyes to obtain the position.
    I think maybe you're projecting your negative body image on to him. I do the same thing I am my harshest critic.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    I asked out a girl once. She denied me. Now, I thought she was being racist because she's white and I'm Asian.

Turns out that she denied me because I'm a creep and have terrible personality and asked her out by saying "I have been collecting your hair for a while. I think its time I get inside you"
    OMG ARE YOU STALKING ME ON HERE TOO?????
  • AleshaRae82
    AleshaRae82 Posts: 31 Member
    How can you really prove that anyways? I know in Florida the rules are a little different and can be fired for no reason at all.

did they seriously tell you that.

because that's a major HR no no and you could complain to the labor board.

just because you "feel" its your size doesn't make it true.

it just does not, it could be any number of factors including your capability.

just because they come to you for marketing advice doesn't mean they feel you are fully capable of the full scope of the job.

ask them why, and then fix what they need you to fix.

but I highly doubt that it's your size and they can't tell you that...that's discrimination
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    How can you really prove that anyways? I know in Florida the rules are a little different and can be fired for no reason at all.

But you haven't applied for the position and you haven't been turned down for it. So how can you really prove that either? Just because it looks like they only hire young slender people doesn't mean that is necessarily true.

I think you're having a confidence issue. You aren't that big, and you're losing weight. I'm sure that your workplace can see your new health lifestyle, if only at lunchtime. Keep it up. While confidence doesn't come overnight, it will come. If you aren't ready to apply for the advancement now, wait another 20 or 30 lbs. Do it then. but DO IT.

There is only 1 way that you are 100% guaranteed not to get that job. That's by not going for it.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    Sounds to me like you are speculating and making excuses of why you WON'T get it. Apply for it and know that 9 times out of 10 you aren't hired for your body. HR typically makes sure of that.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Perhaps he is impressed by your performance in your current department and doesn't want to have to deal with trying to find a comparable replacement. If you want to move to a different department, you will need to be assertive and not make assumptions. Your feelings are understandable, but don't let your feelings about your weight hold you back.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    i'll be blunt. You didn't even apply, so it's all in your head. You gotta work on your low self-esteem, girl.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    I asked out a girl once. She denied me. Now, I thought she was being racist because she's white and I'm Asian.

Turns out that she denied me because I'm a creep and have terrible personality and asked her out by saying "I have been collecting your hair for a while. I think its time I get inside you"

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    I always wanted to be a jockey.

Yeah - my dream was to be a Keebler elf. But then I kept growing and growing ....
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Make sure he knows you actually WANT that position. Some managers are a little clueless sometimes.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member

Were you this creepy when I FRed you?

:flowerforyou:
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    They wouldn't let me become a garden gnome. I couldn't get a supporting role in The Hobbit either, even after I kept explaining that none of the actors were actually that short.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Yeah well, fair enough. I went to a boat show recently and all the girls from Sunseeker and Fairline were pretty gorgeous. It's no surprise that's what they want to sell their boats. It's marketing.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    It happened to me at 370 lbs with a company that was self insured.
  • kevinindelaware
    kevinindelaware Posts: 127 Member
    LMFAO

• busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    you-make-bunny-cry.jpg

hard to believe anyone actually said that to you....
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Has anyone not been able to get a job due to their size?

I have years of customer service under my belt and want to move from one department to another (marketing) but I feel I am not even an option because of my size.

Pretty hurtful especially when they approach me about using my Marketing test results as a base for all new hires in that department.

I've read all of the politically correct posts. They are cute.

Real world - there are positions (like marketing/sales/recruiting) where attractiveness matters. If I'm a client, do I want to go have lunch with the hot young salesperson or the unattractive one. Sadly, the "marketing" person in many instances is meant to be there as eye-candy.

It goes both ways. The average height and attractiveness of male executives is greater than the average population as well. We are all human beings at the end of the day that respond to attractive people, even if only subconsciously.

I'm not saying you should avoid going for the job, just pointing out reality. Yet another reason to lose weight and get healthy.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    It does affect!
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    I work in the yachting industry and the current hiring trend for Concierge/Marketing Team has been slender, attractive people yet they lack the brains.

For the marketing director to ask me today if he could use my results as a base really put everything into perspective.
    He knows my desire to work with him - and agrees that I can handle the job.

Yet I will not get the job because I do not fit the image they are looking for??

I haven't been outright denied the position but his action truly speak for him.
    Am I wrong for thinking this?

You need to apply! If they are asking to see your results, it means you are on their radar. You say he knows your desire to work with him. 1.) Maybe you think he does, but he doesn't. 2.) Maybe he can't offer the position if you don't directly apply.

Ask for what you want directly and you might get it!