Low Cal Super Flavorful Turkey Chili

Options
Stdavis53
Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
Hey everyone! I have had a few people ask for my chili recipe so I figured I would put it on here for you guys to try! The chili recipe is awesome. Its super low calorie since I use lean ground turkey instead of beef, and I usually eat 2 huge bowls of it for around 500 calories or so. When it comes to seasoning, I will give you my approximate amounts, but I honestly just season it until it tastes right.

*@*@*@* Warning *@*@*@*
This chili is Spicy! If you can't handle spice, reduce the amount of Cayenne and Chili powders accordingly! Neither my wife or I consider it to be overly spicy, but we may have different palates than most :happy:

Ingredients

16 oz Lean ground turkey
1 small yellow onion diced
3 tablespoon minced garlic
1 Large can Tomato Sauce (1 lb 13 oz)
2 medium cans diced tomato (1.8 cups each)
1 small can tomato paste
1 Can Black Beans Reduced Sodium (Bush's)
1 Can Red Kidney Beans reduced Sodium(Bush's)
1 small can diced green chilis
1 jar salsa (about 20 oz)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (hickory)
2 Tablespoon Barbecue Sauce(Sweet Baby Rays)
1 Tablespoon Salt
1.5 teaspoon Pepper
1.5 teaspoon Cayenne
2 Tablespoon Cumin
1.5 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic
2 teaspoon Chili Powder
1/2 teaspoon Paprika
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning

All the Seasonings are too taste, but as you use them, I will give approximate amounts.

Saute the onion and garlic until soft. I use chicken or vegetable broth instead of oil to save on calories. When the onions start to become translucent, add the turkey and brown. While cooking, add Salt, Pepper, Cayenne, and Cumin to the turkey mixture. This round of seasoning is just to flavor the turkey before you add it to the other ingredients so go easy on them.

After the turkey is cooked, add it, juices and all, to a large pot with the rest of the ingredients. Add the seasonings, and stir all the ingredients together. I usually heat the chili up on medium heat, stirring frequently, so that it comes to temperature slowly. When the mixture starts to bubble, mix again and then taste. Now is when you can adjust any seasonings to your liking. You can't really taste how the final batch is going to be when you first mix everything together, you have to wait until its hot.

My chili is fairly spicy. If you want to reduce the spice level, reduce the amount of cayenne and chili powder accordingly!

I can have a large bowl of this for about 200-250 calories depending on how big my scoops are. Enjoy! And if you have any questions let me know!

Replies

• wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    hey how large is your bowl? i wanna make it but wanna know like would it be a cup or 2? i just need to fit it into my points on weight watchers!
  • DreamOfSunshine
    DreamOfSunshine Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Great!!! Big Thanks! Being one of the people who asked for it I will try it shortly :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • emmiller23
    emmiller23 Posts: 32
    Options
    Yum I am going to make this
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hey! The bowls I use are probably 2 - 2.5 cups worth. Using lean ground turkey instead of beef pork saves a ton of calories
  • goldylocs37
    goldylocs37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Saving this one. I love spicy!
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Looks YUMM.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have something rather similar cooking right now in the slow cooker. I just added more diced veggies to make it less calories.