saggy skin

Options
I have lost 62 pounds and starting to have some saggy skin in places. I still have at least 40 pounds still to lose. Most of my workout are cardio which includes walking, riding bike, steps, and kickboxing. I am thinking that I may need to start some strength training to start toning more and wondering if this would....Any suggestion out there....Thanks!!

Replies

• TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Most defnitely! I can't tell you what a difference weight training makes. Its vital, in my opinion, for a complete fitness picture. I was a skeptic, but in a few short weeks have seen gains that I would not of without some. I am not dedicated to any particular goal (not trying to be Arnold) but consistantly lifting mixed with cardio. Shows less calories burned on MFP but see it in my waistline and also in my general build. Both cardio and strength. Probably should throw stretching in there too. I would think you will have good results with excess skin, but it does take time.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Adding some lean muscle mass will help for sure, but unfortunately the skin will be what it will be. Neither of us are spring chickens (not meant to be rude btw) so our skin is a little less elastic. Some report improvements with different goop, but personally, reading a lot of other peoples findings and watching my own I believe they are only good for the companies selling the crap. Gravity is a bish. There are many factors that affect the degree of loose skin. Where we hold the weight, how long it has been there, our age, and the degree we were overweight. I suspect some of what you are seeing right now is a mixture of fat and skin. It does pull up as the fat goes away. At one time I thought my two flaps would be a lot more noticeable, but the skin has pulled in a lot. I made a deal with myself that if I keep it off long enough I will go get it chopped off.

Please do not think of gaining muscle as toning. The so called toning many refer to is really just fat loss. I have lost tons of inches all over my body, but I look far more muscular now than ever before. Toning is nothing more than fat loss. Adding some muscle will help with many aspects to achieve your goals. Our bodies are programmed to stay alive, so its gonna fight to get rid of the rest. Adding a lifting plan will be very helpful and there are many ways to do so without a gym if that is not an option.

Keep at it, you are doing awesome.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I second the Importance of Weight Training & Stretching. Plus a LARGE Dose of Patience. It may take awhile but your skin may tighten up a bit after several Months. Staying Well Hydrated is also extremely imporatant.

:heart: Bottom Line is, Once you get the Weight Off you will feel so Dad Gum Good the Saggy Skin won't bother you as much as you think it will.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Strength training will help a little, but since you are eating at a deficit you aren't going to build much muscle. You should still do it for other reasons like maintaining muscle as you lose and it burns a lot of calories, but it doesn't shrink skin.

Mostly you just have to give your skin time to shrink. Make sure you drink enough water and eat enough fat to keep your skin from drying, use a good moisturizer and be patient.
  • sassyann45
    sassyann45 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I already feel better and look better that ever....that is what is keeping motivated...I want to see the end results!!
  • sassyann45
    sassyann45 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!