Would love to get feedback... how many calories to eat

Options
2»

Replies

• Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    take your weight and multiply by 12. then deduct 500. that should equal your calories per day for losing weight. simple.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are gaining muscle and losing fat. Have you measured yourself?
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    So, just tracked my 25th day in a row, but it's made me sooo frustrated. Written down everything (yes, I believe there was a 3,000+ calorie day).
    Overall, though, the average was just over 1500/day, with working out for 45 min 3-5 times/week. And, I GAINED 1 pound. So, back to the drawing board, guess I need to still to 1200 calories and that's it?!!!

Would love to hear your thoughts...
    HOW little calories to eat in order to lose weight? Always reading about eating "too little", but I know that's not my issue:)

already doing cardio and strength training, consistently 3-4x/week

i am 50 years old., 5'1" with about 30 pounds to lose...

All comments welcome!!

Hi!

So I took a look at your diary and seems you're good with protein, but I didn't see all that much salad & veggies. Not sure if that has anything to do with your issue.

I too am short and over 50 with about another 20 lbs to lose, though I suppose I may be more sedentary than you ~ my usual exercise is a brisk walk with my dog and maybe 1/4 hour of a workout video ;). I started in late February and have been steadily losing about one pound a week on approximately 1200 ~ 1300 calories a day. NOT that I want to encourage you to reduce your intake, just saying what works for me and offer my experience as food-for-thought.

You're welcome to look at my open diary ~ good luck!
  • michellechawner
    Options
    take your weight and multiply by 12. then deduct 500. that should equal your calories per day for losing weight. simple.

That puts me way under... I eat 1300 a day (and yes eat back most exercise cals) and this math put me at 1060. Yikes!

You just need to find what works for you. I started at 1200, but since I increased my exercise I went up to 1300 (changed from sedentary to lightly active) and I seem to be doing well here and not losing too quickly - i'm 5'5 130.6 (want to be 120-125). I lose about a pound a week.
  • KANSASGIRL69
    KANSASGIRL69 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    eat between your TDEE and your BMR!!! mine varies everyday because of the extra work i do in the gym and my recovery days are lower than my lifting days...to find out what your TDEE and BMR...google TDEE calculator and BMR calculator...good luck!
    always listen to your body...if its thirsty water it...if its hungry feed it...eat for fuel!
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I on average eat about 1500-1700 cals a day. Sometimes I find it very hard to even reach 1500. I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables during the day and they are so very low in calories.

Somedays I net (with exercise) 1200 calories, and somedays I don't. I try to be as consistent as possible everyday. I usually eat every 2-3 hours when i'm at work, and try to eat as many lean proteins as I can.

After looking at your diary, I don't see too much wrong with it. You are eating healthy, so just continue with what you are doing now for a few more weeks, and like people say, a 1 lb gain could just be muscle or water gain. Don't let it discourage you! Weight goes up and down on the scale, judge it all based on your clothes, or when you simply measure yourself with a measuring tape.

Keep telling yourself you got this, and keep trucking on through! Feel free to add me as a friend for added support :)
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Pamela_in_Progress Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try swapping some foods. There is an app for you phone called Fooducate. it is free. You can scan the bar code of any food and it will "grade" the food A-F. It also gives you alternatives that have a better grade, so you can make a good swap.

O.M.G. This is AMAZZIINNGG!! Thank you!
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    NOT TO EXCEED GOING UNDER 1200 CALS. Sorry, forgot that part.

That puts me way under... I eat 1300 a day (and yes eat back most exercise cals) and this math put me at 1060. Yikes!

You just need to find what works for you. I started at 1200, but since I increased my exercise I went up to 1300 (changed from sedentary to lightly active) and I seem to be doing well here and not losing too quickly - i'm 5'5 130.6 (want to be 120-125). I lose about a pound a week.