Conflict between HRM "zone" and Polar website

Options
missybct
missybct Posts: 321 Member
I wonder if anyone could point me in the right direction.

My Polar FT4, to my knowledge, uses the established heart rate zones based on 220 minus my age, which is 28 years old, making a maximum heart rate of 192bpm. Therefore, the zones it has prearranged for me is 125-163bpm - which is fine.

On the Polar website, using the same values I use on the Polar watch, when I input the data (FT4 doesn't sync) for time "in the zone" it gives me my zone limits between 115 and 153bpm. Obviously if the Polar website has the accurate data (although I'm not sure what it is based on, other than my blood pressure, height, BMI etc are on there) then I am overworking myself at times - I don't mind, but it also means that if I'm hitting the 120's that I'm technically "in the zone" but my watch doesn't register as such.

I really want to have my heart rate properly tested so I have ample knowledge to know specific calorie burn, but it's costly.

My statistics are:

SEX: Female
CW: 232.4lbs
SW: 297lbs (January 2013)
HEIGHT: 5ft 5.6 inches / 167cm
ACTIVITY LEVEL: Gym three times a week for 1+ hour - mixed cardio (cross trainer and cycles) and strength/free weights.
I walk for 2+ miles on days off, and usually have one day where I don't do anything specific, but am still active.

I'm on the go a lot, but I wouldn't say constantly standing.
SMOKING - about 6 roll ups a day.
ALCOHOL - No alcohol - I'm not teetotal, but I've not drank for over 2 months nor intend to.
DIET - Decent diet - try to keep it low sodium/low artificial sugar with higher protein than carbs and I'm nearly always under my fat macro. I've not binged or had a cheat day for 2 months, nor really eat anything junk related - I try and make good choices.

I can give more information out such as cardiovascular ability - I can pretty much walk at a pace of 3.5mph without getting out of breath for over 45 minutes, if that makes sense.

Thanks in advance. x

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Forget the zones. They don't really mean anything. Work yourself to the limit you can go. Your body will tell you when it's done. My "zone" is 109 to 165 and I generally run with my HR being from 150 to 170. Been doing it for 2 years now and haven't died yet. Use the HRM as a tool not a Bible.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Forget the zones. They don't really mean anything. Work yourself to the limit you can go. Your body will tell you when it's done. My "zone" is 109 to 165 and I generally run with my HR being from 150 to 170. Been doing it for 2 years now and haven't died yet. Use the HRM as a tool not a Bible.
    THIS

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply - I think that is very sound advice - providing I'm within the middle really then it's better than nothing at all! I've noticed I get to 163 and I know I have more in the tank, so I just go for it anyway!