Frustrated

Options
I have lost 27 lbs so far this year for a total of 37lbs, but, these last two months have been a struggle and I am frustrated. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Could someone please take a look at my stats and give me some ideas as to what I could do to get back to the every week loss that I experienced when I first started mfp? :grumble:

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    What exercise are you doing that you're burning 1500+ calories ?
  • nmiller0813
    nmiller0813 Posts: 109
    Options
    Last night, I did 2 Zumba classes. While I do not typically do 2 Zumba classes a day, I do burn at least 1100 or more calories when I am doing Zumba. Bear in mind that I am a big girl!
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    While I do not typically do 2 Zumba classes a day, I do burn at least 1100 or more calories when I am doing Zumba. Bear in mind that I am a big girl!
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    I will ask again, since more people seem to be online right now. Can someone take a look at my diary and help me out? I think I need to eat more, and that could be why the weight is not dropping, but want to make sure
  • mamacita721
    mamacita721 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Cut back on the sodium, a lot. Add some veggies to your diet.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Are you getting your calorie counts from an HRM? I'm gonna send a FR now...
  • ikudbne12
    ikudbne12 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to try to limit some of the sodium intake (CDC recommends 1500 for women a day...esp if you have high blood pressure) and start eating back some of your exercise calories... At least for a while til you break the plateau. I do question the calories you enter from exercise... i do zumba as well but only get like 550 calories for 60 minutes...are you using an HRM monitor or...? Anyway...just my 2 cents
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    I am using Endomondo and fitbit to calculate my calories. I am not a little girl, so that could account for the large calorie burn. Just a thought!
  • srallen98
    srallen98 Posts: 8
    Options
    I will jump on the sodium bandwagon. I hit a pleateau and I got rid of bread and pasta to kickstart weight loss again. I did not notice too much bread/pasta, but maybe the occasional/frequent rice portions?
  • CoachMaxima
    Options
    Are you changing up your workout? are you lifting weights?
  • ciaokk
    ciaokk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You eat a lot of processed foods, a ton of salt, and not much in the way of vegetables and fruit; not to mention way too much take-out. burgers and fries don't help you at all, regardless of how much exercise you are doing (which--"big girl" or not...seems way off base for calories utilized). Eat more home-made food, less salt, add in veggies and fruit and maybe recalculate that fitbit. I'm not familiar with Endomondo and don't use the fitbit, but something is off in your calculations for exercise calories.
  • CakePlate
    CakePlate Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've had similar issues, and I too have wondered if it was sodium intake. As others have said, increase water intake and fruits/veg, fiber, and try to cut back on your sodium. Unfortunately convenience foods are very high in sodium so if we want to be more healthy, we have to cook more. You live in CA, it is always grilling weather! Another thing to consider: I use a HRM as well as the gym equipment to measure calorie burn - there are times that my HRM says I've burned 2000 calories in an 80 minute time frame, when the equipment will say about half of that. I always enter the info from the equipment into MFP, not my HRM because I am skeptical that it is accurate. Maybe it is, I don't know - sounds like you have a great way to track it, so don't listen to people who say you can't burn that - you are 51 and overweight, yes - we burn more! You simply may not be eating enough. I stopped losing weight despite eating well and exercise - I went out of town and ate like crazy, came back home and I started losing again. I think my body thought I was starving to death. Too few calories is just as bad as too many, so if you exercise like crazy, try to eat back those calories. I know it sounds scary, but do it. Also, we are getting up in years and our bodies don't like change - just keep it up! You can do this, don't get frustrated. It is a journey not a race.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker you have 30-some pounds left to lose?

"*You've earned 4,781 extra calories from exercise today" ... this seems off. Is Fitbit and Endomondo duplicating efforts or something?

If you are burning that many calories you need to eat more. If you're not, you still need to know how many you are in order to estimate and find success.
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    Thank you for your respose. It made so much sense to me. I know that I eat a lot of convenient foods...and I am working on letting those go, and I am also working hard on cutting back on the sodium...
    And.. yes, I am extremely overweight... and 51, so I know that I burn more calories than most when exercising. The reason I have the fitbit is so that my calculations will be more accurate than the endomondo. So, I will TRY to eat more and better and see how that works. I am also going to incorporate some weight lifting soon. Again.. thank you!
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    I have 30 something pounds left to lose to my FIRST goal. I did not want to set a goal for myself that I felt may be unrealistic. Once I reach that goal, I will set another one.

I do believe that fitbit and endomondo are not syncing correctly and duplicating calories burned and I need to figure out what to do in order to fix that.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would try to up calories a little, probably to around 1700 calories total. If you are active, eating 1300 calories a day is probably not enough.
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    Part of my lack of fruit and veggies is due to my having IBS and another medical issue, so there are sooo many fruits and vegetables that I am not allowed to eat, such as brocoli, sweet corn, apples, pears, strawberries, avacados (even though I eat them and pay for it later). That is a small list of what I can't eat. On top of being lactose intolerant. So, trying to work within my limitations, is extremely hard. :embarassed:
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    Thank You. I am going to try that route and see how it works!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    One last thing is to expect a few lbs of water weight initially. Also, I would suggest slowly upping your calories by 200 calories per week until you hit your target calories. This can mitigate water fluctuations. Foods high in potassium and magnesium can help too.