leaving uni so no more excuses

Options
Hey there

sooooooo, I have joined fitness pal as I graduate in two months and have piled on the weight since uni. Its my own fault for not eating healthy. But I must admit I am not going to miss having no time to myself and actually having time to go the gym. I have two jobs as well as starting up my business last year. But I am finishing uni on a sad note in a sense as I feel really unhealthy now :/ I am a uk size 16 and 5'6 and weigh about 14 stone. Any tips on how to get fit after leaving uni :)

Replies

• triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to mfp! Congrats on graduating soon- I understand as I am in grad school right now and I have a hard time finding time for myself!

Biggest advice I can give:
    1) Start out slow- sometimes going into something super quick will have you burn out, or worse, injured really quickly. Start out making small changes, and pick things up once you get going
    2) Make changes you want to be permanent- If you don't see yourself eating something for the rest of your life, don't eat it! But, Do recognize eating habits that have to be eliminated or altered to reach your goal.
    3)Get friends on here to help keep you accountable- we're all here for the same reason- to get healthier. I love when I can discuss fitness related things here with friends, where other friends tell me "you're fine. Eat Pizza." MFP is a wonderful place that is super supportive.
    4) Moderation is key- you have to figure out how to do moderation. Moderation does not equal every day, or in some cases, every week. But, telling yourself you can never have X,Y,Z again ends up making you feel restricted, which leads to negative feelings, and generally leads to failure. Not all the time, but it can.

there is a ton of different advice, but different people have different tactics. Feel free to add me as a friend! Good luck in your weight loss! :flowerforyou:
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to be sure you make time for exercise, and plan out what you eat - make these things a regular part of your daily life. There will ALWAYS be reasons to justify eating convenience foods and junk, and excuses not to exercise (you'll likely be just as busy outside of school as you were there). Its in your hands...but you're young, and its a good time to create good, healthy habits you can have for life.

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! :drinker:
  • centarix
    centarix Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    *First off congrats for graduating!

I was sort of on the opposite side after graduating a few years ago. I was in great shape and regularly attending a gym on campus for free. Even the walks to and from class were awesome workouts because most buildings sat on tall hills (i went to school in a mountainous area). Fast forward in time and now I'm overweight from being in the office all the time. No bells or schedules to permit me to walk to my next class or visit my friends on the other side of campus.

Long story short, if you have office jobs lined up then you are going to want to develop a plan and manage your time wisely. You also have a startup business which sounds very demanding. Since you are a former university student I think you know how to manage your time. For most of us, we must sacrifice an hour or 2 in the morning right before the day starts to workout. Others may wait until they are home after work. Whatever you decide..try to mix cardio and weight training with healthy eating. You will see results in no time!
  • jennifermads1
    Options
    wow thanks you guys some great responses :) now that I am leaving uni I will have more time strangely :) as I have a job lined up I work in photography plus a gallery. The photography side is actually fairy active and now I can concentrate on that and leave my other two jobs while I have been at uni I can work normal full time hours. My normal uni routine is 9-5 stuck in lectures for three days of the week, its an hour and a half commute each way. (Couldn't move closer due to family problems) then all my essays etc then my jobs. I am going to start going to classes and cook a lot more instead of just snacking. I have started this week its been strange having actual meals its taking some adjustment.
  • jennifermads1
    Options
    alot of my friends have done the 'oh theres nothing wrong with you' lol but really I think its because they are unhealthy to and dont wanna talk about it :)