Not sure if this is BS?

Options
This is an e-mail a friend of mine got and forwarded to me, he receives a Dr Oz newsletter and this was part of it.....anyway I'm not sure if I believe this info, I've always thought it was best to combine some protein with fruit, also the cold water thing never heard of that before. Any way thought I would throw it out there and get some other opinions:

This is informative!

We all think eating fruit means just buying fruit, cutting it up and popping it into our mouths. It's not that easy. It's important to know how and when to eat fruit.

What's the correct way to eat fruit?

IT MEANS NOT EATING FRUIT AFTER A MEAL! FRUIT SHOULD BE EATEN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.

Eating fruit like that plays a major role in detoxifying your system, supplying you with a great deal of energy for weight loss and other life activities.

FRUIT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT FOOD.

Let's say you eat two slices of bread, then a slice of fruit. The slice of fruit is ready to go straight through the stomach into the intestines, but it's prevented from doing so.

In the meantime, the whole meal rots and ferments, and turns to acid. The minute the fruit comes into contact with the food in the stomach, and digestive juices, the entire mass of food begins to spoil.

Eat your fruit on an empty stomach, or before your meal! You've heard people complain: Every time I eat watermelon I burp, when I eat durian my stomach bloats, when I eat a banana I feel like running to the toilet, etc. This will not happen if you eat the fruit on an empty stomach. Fruit mixes with the putrefying other food and produces gas. Hence, you bloat!

There's no such thing as some fruits, like orange and lemon are acidic, because all fruit becomes alkaline in our body, according to Dr. Herbert Shelton who did research on this matter. If you have mastered the correct way of eating fruit, you have the Secret of Beauty, Longevity, Health, Energy, Happiness and normal weight.
When you need to drink fruit juice drink only fresh fruit juice, NOT the concentrated juice from the cans. Don't drink juice that has been heated. Don't eat cooked fruit; you don't get the nutrients at all. You get only the taste. Cooking destroys all of the vitamins.

Eating a whole fruit is better than drinking the juice. If you should drink the juice, drink it mouthful by mouthful slowly, because you must let it mix with your saliva before swallowing it. You can go on a 3-day fruit-fast to cleanse your body. Eat fruit and drink fruit juice for just 3 days, and you will be surprised when your friends say how radiant you look!

KIWI: Tiny but mighty, and a good source of potassium, magnesium, vitamin E and fiber. Its vitamin C content is twice that of an orange!

AN APPLE a day keeps the doctor away? Although an apple has a low vitamin C content, it has antioxidants and flavonoids which enhances the activity of vitamin C, thereby helping to lower the risk of colon cancer, heart attack and stroke.

STRAWBERRY: Protective Fruit. Strawberries have the highest total antioxidant power among major fruits and protect the body from cancer-causing, blood vessel-clogging free radicals.

EATING 2 - 4 ORANGES a day may help keep colds away, lower cholesterol, prevent and dissolve kidney stones, and reduce the risk of colon cancer.

WATERMELON: Coolest thirst quencher. Composed of 92% water, it is also packed with a giant dose of glutathione, which helps boost our immune system. Also a key source of lycopene, the cancer-fighting oxidant. Also found in watermelon: Vitamin C and Potassium.

GUAVA & PAPAYA: Top awards for vitamin C. They are the clear winners for their high vitamin C content. Guava is also rich in fiber, which helps prevent constipation. Papaya is rich in carotene, good for your eyes.

Drinking Cold water after a meal = Cancer!

Can you believe this? For those who like to drink cold water, this applies to you. It's nice to have a cold drink after a meal, however, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you've just consumed, which slows digestion. Once this 'sludge' reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal.

Replies

• shawnae2
    shawnae2 Posts: 105
    Options
    My mom had told me about eating the fruit on an empty stomach. Maybe she heard it on Dr. Oz. I always had heart burn after eating ANY fruit so I rarley did so. But since following the whole eat it on an empty stomach heart burn is gone as well as any other problems I had with fruit. So maybe it is true!
    As with the Water thing. I don't know if I believe that. I always heard that drinking a glass of cold water makes you burn more calories because your body has to heat it back up. I don't know where I heard that but it sounded good :laugh:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a load of BS, really. I've never heard any of this before. Cooking destroys all vitamins? Don't eat fruit after a meal? Drinking cold water equals cancer?!? You've got to be kidding me. Who wrote this crap?
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Something I personally would look up on snopes.com myself since it sounds so far fetched. So I did :wink:

You're right it's a crap Here's what www.snopes.com has to say about the phoney info emails

link to the bogus water info: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/coldwater.asp
    Cold water doesn't cause cancer:laugh: I have no idea why that makes me laugh, it just sounds so ludicrous, well like most things passed on by email that are bogus.

link to the bogus fruit info: http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/fruit.asp

OMG I just now skimmed this part "drink it mouthful by mouthful slowly, because you must let it mix with your saliva before swallowing it." Wha????? come on!:laugh: :laugh: Now that's gonna cut the morning short getting out the door!:tongue:

Like all bogus emails, they say there is sometimes a teensy bit of truth to it, like mentioning Dr. Oz's name like this one did, ppl will trust that so they figure it's real info and continue to pass it on and on and on and on and.... But if your gut tells you it sounds crazy it more than likely is:wink: Plus there's always snopes.com before passing it on :glasses:
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    This sounds like a load of BS, really. I've never heard any of this before. Cooking destroys all vitamins? Don't eat fruit after a meal? Drinking cold water equals cancer?!? You've got to be kidding me. Who wrote this crap?

It was forwarded to me as a Dr Oz newsletter, I'm not sure if it was actually from Dr Oz website, or his show, or just a fake using his name?????
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Something I personally would look up on snopes.com myself since it sounds so far fetched. So I did :wink:

You're right it's a crap Here's what www.snopes.com has to say about the phoney info emails

Cold water doesn't cause cancer:laugh: I have no idea why that makes me laugh, it just sounds so ludicrous, well like most things passed on by email that are bogus.

Thanks for taking the time to look it up, I don't know why I didn't think of snopes I've used them before..... it's the end of the day my brain isn't working.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to look it up, I don't know why I didn't think of snopes I've used them before..... it's the end of the day my brain isn't working.
    no problem :flowerforyou: I rather like debunking myths:tongue:
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    I have definitely heard the part about how cooking (from what I have heard) vegetables reduces the vitamins in it and how eating them raw is best because they are in their natural form. Not sure of the validity of it however.

And I'm glad to know that I am NOT the only one who checks EVERYTHING out on Snopes!! LOL!! I always do it for those forwards I get about "Forward this about kidnapped girl, etc....."
  • pandalady8
    pandalady8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

I love snopes.com for being a great resource to debunk these really awful emails that do nothing but spread bad information! Understanding nutrition and eating right is difficult enough without constantly being told information that is misleading, wrong, and in many cases dangerous (don't drink cold water or you'll get cancer? SERIOUSLY?)

Short answer: The email's information is wrong. :tongue:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    I have definitely heard the part about how cooking (from what I have heard) vegetables reduces the vitamins in it and how eating them raw is best because they are in their natural form. Not sure of the validity of it however.

And I'm glad to know that I am NOT the only one who checks EVERYTHING out on Snopes!! LOL!! I always do it for those forwards I get about "Forward this about kidnapped girl, etc....."
    Or the boy in some Country that has a dying wish to go to McDonald's and needs travel money. lol Oh oh oh! One of my favorites, the little boy that's now 40 something that had an email going around saying he was 8 and dying of something. Like someone once shared with me regarding the email myths, a wee bit of truth to snag us like bait and the rest is crap. lol

So many funny ones out here, UNTIL you get them for the billioneth time in your email both with 200 forwards attached:grumble: :wink:
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    Half the time, when you look them up, it was something from 1998!! How is this crap still circulating!! I always reply to the sender with the Scopes article to inform them of the time they are wasting.

And I have to say, I have never heard the "McDonald's" one before!! :laugh:
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    Never heard of that one before, looks like bs, smells like bs....must be bs...
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Half the time, when you look them up, it was something from 1998!! How is this crap still circulating!! I always reply to the sender with the Scopes article to inform them of the time they are wasting.

And I have to say, I have never heard the "McDonald's" one before!! :laugh:
    well next time I get it.......bwhahahhaha:tongue:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Maybe the person who wrote this is the same one who came up with the 10 weight loss commandments on Dr Oz's site.

One of them was don't carry any small bills with you so you can't put anything in the vending machine. Hello? Has anyone heard of convenience stores, they make change and have all kinds of bad things. How about carrying whatever denomination of currency you wish and making good decisions about what goes in your mouth?

Another brilliant pronouncement was not to eat standing up!! The rational being you won't be as "aware" of what you are eating. The last time I checked the position of one's backside has nothing to do with what needs to go on between their ears in order to control their eating habits!!!:laugh: :laugh:

As for the post that started this thread, there is a lot of hooey in it, but there was some elements of truth. It is true that cooking can reduce the amount of nutrients in vegetables--specifically if you boil veggies in water, some of the nutrition will be in the water, so if you want to get all the benefits, don't drain the veggies. As for cooking fruit, not sure about the effects of cooking on it. Even if it is true, everyone needs a piece of apple pie every now and then!!!:drinker:

Dr. Oz has been visiting in my local area and featured on a news program the last couple of days critiquing what is in the grocery store. He doesn't appear to be quite as smart as he thinks he is. He was talking about what a wonderful source of protein eggs are--which is true--but then he proceeded to say there is no problem with eating the whole egg. The cholesterol and the fat are in the YOLK. The protein is in the white. I eat eggs, but I usually pass on the yolk. When I scramble 4 eggs, for example, I will leave ONE yolk in for color, and discard the other three.

Anyone who wants to learn more about eggs should learn what an eicosanoid is, and look up information in Dr. Barry Sears book: "The Omega Rx Zone: The Miracle of the New High-Dose Fish Oil." He is the same person who came up with the Zone Diet. The Omega Zone book has some excellent scientific evidence for the benefits of fish oil, and a lot of other things.
  • Callmefia
    Callmefia Posts: 42
    Options
    I've heard many times over that cooking veggies certain ways (pretty much anything other than steaming) reduces the nutritional value and vitamin effects. Well... I mostly steam my veggies anyway and its pretty much a miracle if I eat all my servings in a day whether or not they are the most effective method of cooking or not.... so oh well.

I've also heard that you should eat your fruit first.
    I say take everything with a grain of salt. If fruits make you gassy, then maybe you should try eating them first (on an empty stomach) and then eating the rest of your lunch or dinner. But personally I'm gassy no matter what :laugh: :laugh: so I don't care about when I eat my fruit. Plus I like to save it for last as if its my dessert. Yum!
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    RULE OF THUMB: If you have to ask if this is BS...it probably is!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The whole cold water thing is ridiculous. Your body's core temp is 98.6 degrees so it's not like the cold water stays cold by the time it reaches your stomach and your intestines. :noway: :noway:
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    hahaha that is so funny and I agree, ridiculous!

On the vegetables thing - generally cooking vegetables will not significantly decrease the nutritional value (unless you really overboil or oversteam them). Actually, the nutrients of some vegetables are only available to our bodies after they are cooked because of the types of fibre in them e.g. broccoli

I personally wouldn't worry too much about how your vegies are cooked, as long as you are eating them :)