Quicky Protein Snacks on the Go?

Options
Any ideas for good sources of protein that are quick and easy to grab and take on the go (particularly if they don't have to be refrigerated but if they do that's ok too). I usually try to make my lunch to take to work the night before but sometimes I forget, I'm too tired, or just too busy. So in the mornings I try to grab some stuff quickly to take with me. I can grab fruit, fiber one bars & yogurt, string cheese, etc. things that are easy to take on the go and I get my fiber no problem and of course carbs are never a problem, fat usually isn't either ;) and I know there's a little protein in the cheese and yogurt (why I grab it) but I have a hard time getting all my protein in on days like this. Is there anything that's quick and easy to grab like these things that is really high in protein that I'm not thinking of? I sometimes grab beef jerky which covers the protein but also adds LOTS of sodium. Almost every day I have that I go WAY over on my sodium.

Replies

• correen_b
    correen_b Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Every day at 3:00pm, I am ravenous - 12 almonds do the trick for me. Good fat - high protein.
  • mamitc01
    mamitc01 Posts: 43
    Options
    I do greek yogurt. It's generally twice the protein, few carbs depending on the type you get and low fat or fat free!
  • samsimon7
    samsimon7 Posts: 4
    Options
    You can also try South Beach High Protien Bars that you can get in any grocery store. I get them all the time and they help me get my protien for the day.
  • mikaeden
    mikaeden Posts: 2
    Options
    Take 2 scoops of protein powder to work with you. Pick a powder that is low in carbs & sugar!! The experts at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe can help you make a wise choice. I usually have 1 scoop w/ water at 10am & 3pm along w/ 15 almonds/per snack. It's a great combo!!!
  • mikaeden
    mikaeden Posts: 2
    Options
    Take 2 scoops of protein powder to work with you. Pick a powder that is low in carbs & sugar!! The experts at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe can help you make a wise choice. I usually have 1 scoop w/ water at 10am & 3pm along w/ 15 almonds/per snack. It's a great combo!!!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna or chicken?

Cottage cheese? (You could separate into individual containers to grab one if needed)

I've been looking for protein sources too.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    ooo...I do almonds a lot, I knew they were a healthy fat but I guess I never paid attention to how much protein is in them. I get the 1 oz. bags of Blue Diamond natural almonds (or the big bag and divide them myself) Just looked (actually had some today) and it's 6 g of protein. Thanks for reminding me and making me take a look at the values, I knew there was some protein in nuts but I guess I didn't realize there was that much.

Hmm, that's why I hear so many people talking about greek yogurt. Didn't know what the big deal was with it. Got some one time, but it went bad before I ever tried it. :blushing: I'll have to give it another shot. Do you suggest any certain brand or flavors?
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    *ATKINS ADVANTAGE CARAMEL DOUBLE CHOCOLATE CRUNCH BAR. I keep these in my purse at all times.
    *I also put in baggies Benefit Nutrition-Protein Plus cereal. I snack on it for energy.
    *Any kind of dried nuts/trail mix. Get the large bag and put some in those small snack size baggies. I like the ones that have the little m&m's in them as I do get a chocolate craving at times.
    *Dried prunes
    *Bariwise bars
    *Jerky
    *dried peas
    *Protein chips and pretzels..found on Bariatric websites
    *Bottle water with those Special K protein packets mixtures
  • sroseber
    Options
    I have protein powder in my cabinet too! Is it weird that I've never used it just with water? I add it to oatmeal or smoothies, etc. but have never just mixed it with water and drank it. I don't know why, I guess I just wasn't sure if it would taste good on it's own. I think sometimes I think about all this stuff so much that the obvious just doesn't come to mind! lol! :laugh:
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    Someone gave me a Clif bar after a cycle ride. I'm hooked on those puppies. I pretty much cleared out my
    whole area buying all the Clif bars I could find. I fridge mine so by the time I get back from my ride, they're
    not all melted from being in the car.

Doug
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh wow didn't realise Almonds had so much protein - they are now on today's shopping list!! How many cals do they have per handful? Or what type of serving?

I have been having the microwave protein cupcakes that were in the recipe section a while ago - I do make them the night before though then cut them into 3 and put a thin layer of jam on them, - it's like cake for breakfast but only 148 cals! Really filling too, I brought it to work for a snack yesterday and didn't end up eating my actual breakfast until lunch time as it filled me up so much!

I also make protein smoothies for on the go too! Yummy!
    -x-x-
  • sroseber
    Options
    Oh wow didn't realise Almonds had so much protein - they are now on today's shopping list!! How many cals do they have per handful? Or what type of serving?

I get Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds either in the individual 1 oz. serving bags (you can get a big bag with the individual bags in it) or just buy the big package of them and divide 1 oz ea. into snack size baggies. 1 oz. of these has 160 calories 6 carbs 14 fat (but it's good fats) 6 protein (I didn't realize there was that much either) 3 fiber 0 sodium (if you get the natural and not salted kind)
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I get Blue Diamond Whole Natural Almonds either in the individual 1 oz. serving bags (you can get a big bag with the individual bags in it) or just buy the big package of them and divide 1 oz ea. into snack size baggies. 1 oz. of these has 160 calories 6 carbs 14 fat (but it's good fats) 6 protein (I didn't realize there was that much either) 3 fiber 0 sodium (if you get the natural and not salted kind)

Thanks hun! I bought some yesterday so will go and measure them out! I like things like this to snack on and keep handy with me so this is good! :)
    -x-x-
  • sroseber
    Options

Thanks hun! I bought some yesterday so will go and measure them out! I like things like this to snack on and keep handy with me so this is good! :)
    -x-x-

Your welcome, hope it helps. I got some Greek yogurt this weekend and some chocolate protein powder (had vanilla and didn't like it by itself) this weekend. I also got the egg beaters in the individual cups costs a little more but I can just grab one in the morning and bring it to work with me. Today has been a pretty good protein day for me. Hopefully with some of the snack tips I got on here I can keep that up.

Thanks everyone for the tips!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have protein powder in my cabinet too! Is it weird that I've never used it just with water? I add it to oatmeal or smoothies, etc. but have never just mixed it with water and drank it. I don't know why, I guess I just wasn't sure if it would taste good on it's own. I think sometimes I think about all this stuff so much that the obvious just doesn't come to mind! lol! :laugh:

I like to mix mine with almond milk and ice. It adds creaminess, without a lot of calories. I use Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla (40 calories per 8 oz, and it adds an extra gram of protein too).

Peanut butter is another good high protein snack item... put it on apples, celery, bread or a spoon. It has 8g of protein in a Tbsp.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I ate beef jerky almost everyday until I was done losing my 40lbs... its only 80 calories but 14 grams of protein, 0.5 grams fat, and no carbs!!
    I know people will say its too salty, but salt won't make u gain real weight ! have an extra glass of water and enjoy it!!

i keep a bag in my car.. hot or cold never goes bad and damn its good!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    piece of string cheese cut in 1/2 and I wrap a piece of deli meat around each one. If I have fresh chicken I will cut it into strips and wrap it.
    Also hard boiled eggs. Greek yogurt for sure! Make a protein smoothie or you could buy a protein bar or protein smoothie pre made for even quicker to go.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, handful of nuts, almond butter, soy beans..roasted/salted.
    banana and natural peanut butter.
    small flavored can of tuna
    some ideas