Workout schedule that worked for you?

Options
Hello everyone :) I've been on MFP for about a month now, and I've lost 10 pounds( which is GREAT!), but i definitely still have a ways to go. I mostly just started to eat right, and exercise here and there, but I'm thinking that random exercise does not match up to a real plan, you know? I just have no idea where to start :( I've looked into a getting a personal trainer, but I just don't have the money, however i don't want that to be a reason for me to give up. I was just curious what kind of routines, or weekly schedules you guys had. Right now, I plan on riding my bike for around 45 minutes, at least, everyday, until I feel like i can start going for runs without HATING it lol. So, I'm mostly interested in at-home strength training work outs. I have 15 pound weights, a yoga mat, 3 pound weights, and an 8 pound medicine ball to work with, but I'm also getting a membership to Golds Gym in the very near future, but i'd like to have some idea what I'm doing when i get there :) Thanks!

Replies

• M8R5on8ym
    M8R5on8ym Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8

Doesn't cost a thing and everybody round here seems to like it.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Running was great for my weight loss. If you haven't run before C25K is a great programme to get started. I know it's worked for loads of people on here and was the way I got into running. I am a major advocate for it :). Any questions, just add me/send me a message :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your diet has a calorie goal with a built in deficit if you're doing MFP...you actually don't have to do any exercise whatsoever to lose weight..in fact, with MFP and other NEAT method calculators you're supposed to eat back exercise calories because they are extra activity.

The point I'm trying to make is diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. Sit down and think about some fitness specific goals you would like to achieve...then look into various programs to help you achieve those goals.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I cycle 90 minutes a day 5 days a week commuting.
    Then walking and backpacking on the weekend.
    Plus 3x weight lifting per week
    Am trying to add pilates a couple of times a week.

I do the lifting and pilates at home. Buying weights worked out at about equivalent to 3 months months gym membership. I use the new rules of lifting for women. I prefer working out at home and I couldn't afford a gym membership every month. Pilates is a set I bought cheap (mat, ball, book, dvd). I build up my equipment over time when I spot stuff cheap.

Cycling, walking, backpacking I try to fit into my everyday life. I don't have a car and public transport is expensive, slow and unreliable. Walking or cycling is my default for getting about. My local decent supermarkets are a couple of miles away. I can fit most of our weekly food shop for a family of four into a hiking backpack and a couple of sturdy bags, so that's what I do. The backpack weighs approx 70lb when full so it is a great workout.

Make exercise a priority and fit it into everyday activities. It makes it more likely that you will do it regularly.
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Try searching for workouts online or even on Pinterest...I love the HIIT workouts ...mostly because they tend to be shorter time, but higher intensity. I took a class at my local gym...learned about the correct form and different exercises but now I do them at home.
  • maryannelk
    maryannelk Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I love a program! The structure really helps me stay motivated.

I also recommend Couch to 5K if you want to start running. It's do-able and challenging. If you are going to join a gym, you will probably get a free "set-up" orientation with a trainer who can help you establish a program. I love weightlifting! A trainer can help you establish the correct form, which is important. If you want to read something, try New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. It has a basic program in it too, but also helps you understand why lifting is important.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution every morning at 5am and supplement with dog walks, playing with kids and any other physical activity I can--e.g. gardening.

I don't have time to go to the gym (work 50-60 hours/week and am a mom) so having a set time that I commit to every day helps me stay consistent. I have worked out 6 days a week for 7 weeks now and haven't missed once.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Anything I've been able to stick to has worked better than anything I've gotten bored with, regardless of the "quality" of the routine.

I've had success with cardio heavy routines, I've also had success with 5x5 and Wendler's 5/3/1 strength training programs, as well as my own lifting program I put together last year.

Anything you can kick *kitten* doing will give better results than anything you half-*kitten* your way through. Results are about your intensity, not about the method/program.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR LATER
  • 1duffwf
    1duffwf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I lift weights 3 times a week at the gym for about 35-40 minutes. I also walk every day for at least an hour (I have two very active dogs!), and run 2 times a week for 25 minutes. On the weekends I try to fit in walks with friends or ride my bike.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm liking some of the ideas here so 'bump' for future reference.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm really liking the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It only takes 20 minutes and it kicks your butt. I think all three levels might be available on youtube but are 10 dollars on amazon
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Running was great for my weight loss. If you haven't run before C25K is a great programme to get started. I know it's worked for loads of people on here and was the way I got into running. I am a major advocate for it :). Any questions, just add me/send me a message :)

Agree! C25k is a great program.

Over the years I've used many different exercises on many different schedules and you know what? They all work. I've gotten up before dawn to run. I've done DVDs at all times of the day. I've walked on my lunch hour. Did step aerobics while watching TV. I've biked, hiked, stepped, swam, Tae Bo'd, put my Body In Motion, Jane Fonda'd (yes, I'm old), jumped rope, lifted weights, rowed, stretched resistance bands, done calisthenics ... and many other things.

ALL of them work if you do them.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Body Revolution would be a good fit, except that it costs about $120. Otherwise give 30 day shred a go, or No More Trouble Zones, or extreme shed & Shred. All good workouts that incorporate strength and get results! I personally have never doen Ripped in 30, butit is highly esteemed by jillian peeps here on MFP.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I walk my dogs three times a day for an hour (3 miles) each time.

In the morning I do a 30 minute cardio video from youtube.

In the evening I do a strength training video from youtube.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    For strength training, 3 days a week M-W-F, full body. For cardio, I carry a jump rope with me and whenever I find I feel like it and have more than 10 minutes to kill I just throw on the earbuds and go to it.
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I fortunately have a gym membership and go 6 times a week. I bring my clothes to work with me and go right after work. On Saturday I go right after I get up. I have the hardest time motivating myself to workout at home, so the gym is ideal for me. I justify the membership cost by using it. I was going to cancel it earlier this year, but decided to really use it and make it worth what I pay. I alternate my workouts between strength training and cardio, every other day.

I hope you can find a routine that works for you. Exercise has been the best life altering drug that I have found to date. When I really started to put hard work into it, I can't tell you how much better my life has become.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I walk about 1½ miles during my lunch hour, during the day in the restroom I do squats & lunges & as soon as I get home I jump on my treadmill @ do the C25K app. If I don’t have time to get on my treadmill then I walk to my appointed destination, which is usually about a mile away so 2miles round trip. I average about 3½ -4 miles a day. On weekends the first thing I do is get on my treadmill, I might take it easy on the strength part on the weekends, but I don't skip the cardio.
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels Body Revolution every morning at 5am and supplement with dog walks, playing with kids and any other physical activity I can--e.g. gardening.

I don't have time to go to the gym (work 50-60 hours/week and am a mom) so having a set time that I commit to every day helps me stay consistent. I have worked out 6 days a week for 7 weeks now and haven't missed once.

I second this!!! Jillian Michaels is a 1/2 hour a day and if you want to or have time to do more, you can always do an extra cardio. The plan makes it easy to stick to! It's a 90 day program and well worth the money spent!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!