Anyone successful with weight loss with a "cheat day"?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    while i wont say its a cheat day(s) as i still stay within my cals for the day

on the weekends i do eat panera for lunch (asiago beef and chips)
    and two slices of pizza
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My cheat day is saturday night when me and my hubby go out on a date night/dinner. That is when i enjoy low calorie meal from skinnylicious manu but order a dessert after and 1 glass of wine or red sangria.

So my cheat items are 1 slice of cake and 1 alcoholic beverage.
  • elainewitch
    elainewitch Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have them about once a week and I've lost 31 pounds.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Not sure I have cheat days per se, but a lot of saturdays start "on track" - and end up at the pub for a treat and some beers. Has not seemed to harm a thing.

I dont eat to prep for it so there's "room" for the calories. I dont feel guilty about it .. I log it and move on.

to keep the math simple, assume maintenance is 2000 cals/day, and you're at a 750 cal/day deficit (1.5 lb per week lost) - This equates to 8750 cal/week

If you eat 1250 6 days a week, and end up with a day at 2000, you've now had 9500 calories for the week - you're still running a net -4500 calories for the week (instead of the -5250 without the "cheat"). You've set yourself back 3.2 oz in weight lost for the week.

This does not of course, account for exercise.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I have had a few cheat days. One of them (on my Birthday) was a whopping 5,000 Calories. I've lost fifty four pounds, and one of those pounds was on the week of the 5,000 calorie mega-cheat. I also allow myself treats as and when I want them, but I keep them moderate and within my calories and macros.

I use cheat days to quash cravings, and break plateaus. For the people who say they are bad and/or unnecessary, it's probably because you've never needed one. And that's a positive thing, I'm happy for you that you've never needed it. But I get massive carb cravings, generally around plateau points. I'd rather satisfy them and move on happy, than be miserable every day of my weight loss.

Perhaps I'm just blessed with more self-control - I can have a refeed, and then get right back on the wagon the next day without looking back. If it's not that easy for someone, then cheat days may not be wise. You just have to find the strategy that works for you.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Yes, but i dont consider it a cheat day. it's just life and your eating a little bit more than normal. Eat what you want and move on to continuing awesomeness.
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have a Couple Cheat Meals/Refeeds (whatever you feel like calling them) every week and have lost a few pounds..... Best of Luck

i'd say this guy knows a thing or two...

by the way, i have cheat days every week where i dont count calories at all for the day. i have noticed that if i dont do this, i wont show a loss for the week. weird, but it works...something about jump starting your metabolism...

Good luck!!!
  • tara04ksu
    tara04ksu Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on MFP for 90+ days and have a total of 25lb weight loss. I typically eat about 1200 calories/day, and I make sure to eat back as many of my exercise calories as I am feeling hungry for. However once a month my boyfriend and I have a "date night" where I count nothing for one meal. I enjoy myself and usually have a few drinks along with a semi unhealthy dinner. It has never given me any setbacks in my weight loss. In fact I feel like having a day to indulge helps keep cravings under control. I also don't count calories on holidays...just takes the fun out of them.

Keep it up and remember you won't stick with your diet if you don't allow yourself some freedom every now and then. Just don't go crazy.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I have lost 100 pounds by having "cheat days"........

I prefer calling the way I am going to live the rest of my life days.......
  • ranmini90
    ranmini90 Posts: 10
    Options
    bravo...i am on this very restrictive calorie diet with exercise to lose 20 kg.i was 70kg and now down to 65.i am on a liquid diet.but i make Saturdays my official cheat days cuz i spend time with my loved ones and i dont want them to feel left out or not a part of my life just bcuz im trying to lose weight. btw im 23 and 5'2. its been 2 weeks and i lost 5kg already.so happy about that.and its good to have a cheat day(sort of like cheat meal) .and congrats on ur weight loss.
    ps.only problem is because im on a liquid diet my stomach growls when i eat solids.but i dont care anyways. hehehe
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I don't eat as low as 1300 and 1200. I tend to be in the 1600-2000 range. But I swim every day, too. I find that I don't have cheat days, what I have are occasional days when I dip a bit lower and some when I am a bit higher, but overall I average out.

The numbers are important, but I try not to get consumed by them.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    you may need to rethink what you are cheating WITH. There are a lot of high fiber CHEAT meals , or perhaps save some protein or fiber for your nite nite snack ON your cheat day. I personally never never never eat carbs after 5P
  • ranmini90
    ranmini90 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have a Couple Cheat Meals/Refeeds (whatever you feel like calling them) every week and have lost a few pounds..... Best of Luck

i'd say this guy knows a thing or two...

by the way, i have cheat days every week where i dont count calories at all for the day. i have noticed that if i dont do this, i wont show a loss for the week. weird, but it works...something about jump starting your metabolism...

Good luck!!!

true that!i agree.i think it is bcuz we r on a vlcd and even though we work out everyday our metabolism sort of goes to sleep.but when you have your cheat day/meal it sort of starts back. i now understand my body.and i listen to it.i am on a liquid diet to lose weight but as soon as i reach my goal i will start eating healthy/clean and keep exercising. bcuz weight loss is hard but weight maintenance is a whole new story.GOOD LUCK!
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Never had to cheat during this whole time, I made heavy workout my everyday regiment. And I eat back my calories, So I rarely go over 1200 calories.
  • luckylilma818
    luckylilma818 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily have an entire cheat day but there are days that I splurge on a cheat food, but I still try to stay under my calories goal. I have had days where I go over throughout this journey but the important thing is to be able to get back on the wagon and start fresh the next day, if cheating is going to cause a setback and will lead to more cheating then I wouldn't do it.. have to build that willpower up first.. :) happy dieting
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't have "Cheat Days" per se, but I do work in "Cheat Foods" to my daily goal on occasion.

One perfect example is on Wednesdays. There is a particular delivery resturant with a sale on a dinner I enjoy, so I order and eat it most weeks. Now just over HALF my calories for one meal is not something I want to do often, but it's worth it to me to have this meal on occasion.

The way I look at it, diets are about what I can't have and the resulting deprivation that leads to binging and a failed diet.

I now have a food plan (where I plan my food) which lets me eat anything I want, in moderation, I just have to plan around it to stay withing my goals.

If 1300 is leaving you hungry all the time, as opposed to craving something specific, I would look more at you caloric goals. Perhaps a pound a week is too lofty of a goal given your current and goal weights. Perhaps you should be closer to maintainance and losing, say, half a pound a week. (That'd be an extra 250 calories EVERY day, not just once in a while.)

Something to think about.
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    For me there is no cheat. I have changed my lifestyle and relationship with food. I eat what I want, when I want, and log it. Some choices will get me to my goals faster than others.

Same here. The time will pass anyway.