Hulu Plus / Netflix / or Amazon Instant Video?

Options
ChrisRS87
ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
Anyone rely on one or a combination of these for watching tv shows instead of cable or dish? What do you have and what do you like about it? What do you wish you could watch but can't?

Replies

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    i use amazon AND Netflix, sometimes one has something the other doesn't. We still have live cable though. "I'm not sure if live sports events are on there or not. We watch a LOT of sports in our house.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have Amazon Prime and Netflix, works great for me.

I haven't watched cable in years, if there's something I want that I can't find I just download that particular episode/movie.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have all 3 and ditched cable about a year ago and am very happy. It wasn't for financial reasons - I just felt that having 700 channels was overwhelming and I spent so much time and energy watching stupid things. I liken it to getting junk food out of the house. It was hard at first, but I feel much better.
    That said, my new non-cable life isn't perfect. If there is a news event, I don't have CNN. But, for the really major news stories, I just watch the networks live (I have a leaf antenna). Also, I do buy quite a few of my favorite shows a la carte, so I really don't save any money (I guess I could wait for them to come out on Netflix a year later, but I just don't feel like it).
  • MFPRat
    MFPRat Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I didn't have cable for about five years.

Netflix was fine for us. Then I signed up for a free trial of Amazon Prime (bonus - free shipping on some stuff). However, we watched Netflix more than Amazon Prime.

We got the cable turned back on in December. I'm not sure if/when we'll cut the cord again. I really want to see the last of Breaking Bad and Walking Dead when it returns. However, I'm already sick of the outrageous bill.
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Anyone rely on one or a combination of these for watching tv shows instead of cable or dish? What do you have and what do you like about it? What do you wish you could watch but can't?

Apple tv and Netflix
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    netflix/hulu plus and online streaming.

just cut the cord with cable, feels so good =D
  • misanthropist319
    Options
    I have not had cable in 4-5 years. Cable is the worst. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime and an extensive DVD/Blu-ray library. I like having Netflix and Amazon because Amazon is handy for watching anything brand new by renting. Amazon Prime has a lot to watch for free but Netflix has a better selection. I have found Roku is the most reliable way to watch internet television. The Roku also has free channels with more movies and tv shows. I heart Roku!
  • hakudoshi82
    hakudoshi82 Posts: 29
    Options
    I used Netflix and Hulu. I turn Hulu off when stuff I like is all caught up (Family Guy for example). Certain things like Breaking Bad I usually just pay for it on iTunes. I had the trial of Prime but found I didn't like it was paid for by the year and not month to month where I could turn it off at anytime.

My one thing about cord cutting is Game of Throns. I get around this by going to a friends house who still has cable, lol. But I wish HBO would get with the 21st century and sell their stuff on iTunes during the season to the US and not just other countries.
  • laurash524
    Options
    For me i used Audials Software to record\capture videos and musics from all the web sites like Netflix,Spotify,amazon,Lovefilm...legally
    Plus, you get to convert the videos to any format you want, burn dvds, download music and videos, record internet radios and so on. Just I have to paid only one time forever.

http://audials.com/en/tunebite/index.html
  • ozvic
    ozvic Posts: 1
    Options
    For me i used Audials Software to record\capture videos and musics from all the web sites like Netflix,Spotify,amazon,Lovefilm...legally
    Plus, you get to convert the videos to any format you want, burn dvds, download music and videos, record internet radios and so on. Just I have to paid only one time forever.

http://audials.com/en/tunebite/index.html

I've been using AppGeeker for converting video or burn dvd many years, never had problem with it.

http://www.appgeeker.com
  • laurash524
    Options
    I guess this will help:
    Audials 11 the new product is available now with new feature and functions. http://audials.com/en/tunebite/index.html
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Hulu Plus blows unless you wanna catch up on basic channel tv shows.
    Netflix is good for killing time and watching a good selection of older movies and some new ones
    Amazon Instant video is my favorite but the most expensive.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Netflix, can't go without it :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have them all, but I have only used Netflix and Hulu. Although I can see newer things on Hulu, I love the fact that Netflix has no commercials.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Lately I'm liking amazon prime a little better than netflix. Netflix seems to have shifted their focus way more to TV shows and typically if we think of a movie that we want to watch, netflix doesn't have it. They have a lot of crap instead of classics and new releases. Plus amazon prime comes with other benefits like free shipping.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have Amazon Prime which gets me the free instant video and free 2 day shipping on tons of stuff, absolutely thrilled with it. Had Netflix but cancelled it when nothing new ever seemed to show up.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Amazon Prime and Netflix. It's easy to forget about the cost of Amazon Prime because you pay it once at a certain point in the year. Netflix charges monthly. I don't really care for Hulu because of the commercial interruptions. If I am paying for it, I don't want to see commercials. However, you can see more "current" shows on Hulu including Comedy Central and major network sitcoms like the Mindy Project etc.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have Cable, Netflix, and just recently added Hulu Plus. I really like Netlifix but wish they had more shows on there. I don't like that Hulu have commercials; even if they are only 30 seconds long.
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    We've never had cable. We use Netflix and an attic antenna for over-the-air stations up to 60 miles away. There are websites you can go to and type in your address. It then shows all the broadcast stations in your area that you can get with an antenna.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    We have Netflix Canada which has about a quarter of the movies/tv shows that Netflix has. Hulu doesn't work here, or just not for me (I'm not that technologically literate) and I plain dislike Amazon.

We kept the cable for internet (package deal) and the Weather Channel.