eating too much sugar ... but its fruit!

Options
it seems like I am always eating too much sugar.. it was in the negatives when I ate green grapes for breakfast !?! anyone else having this problem? Should I cut down on my fruit intake?

Replies

• Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    After having this problem myself and seeing tons of other posts to it most people seem to agree to just not track their sugars. I stopped doin it cause my breakfast is super high in sugar from all the fruits.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Unless you have medical issues, no need to track sugar. Fruit has so much good for you stufff .... don't worry about it.
  • jaceedk
    jaceedk Posts: 3
    Options
    I am also having this problem, and am not losing weight like I think I should be. I am trying to increase vegetables and decrease fruit to see if that makes a difference, Just started 2 days ago so I will let you know how it goes ....
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I was following a diabetic program and my sugars were too high. Staying with that program I chose to not track sugars. I found fiber was more important.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If you don't think the sugar matters, then don't worry about it.

My own experience: sugar from ANY source matters. Excess fat storage occurs with metabolic problems; sugars affect the hormones that regulate metabolism immensely. So, for people who need to lose weight, keeping sugar low really helps. It helps not only with weight loss, but with reducing hunger and cravings.

The logic of waiting until one has a diagnosed health problem (isn't obesity a health problem?) such as Type 2 diabetes before considering being cautious with sugar just defies logic in my opinion. There are many health problems linked to excess dietary sugar, including fructose.
  • kamckinley1
    kamckinley1 Posts: 17
    Options
    thanks everyone. great advice
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have my sugar goal adjusted to 75 grams per day, which to me seems way more realistic than the 35 it defaults to. Most the sugars I eat are from fruit or dairy and I just track it to make sure I'm not going way overboard on the sweet stuff.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you're fine
  • pattydi
    pattydi Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I simply stopped tracking sugars, and replaced it with tracking carbs instead... I never go over on total carbs and have found that I am even doing better with sugar since I stopped tracking it. I also know that the more exercise you get in a day, the more sugars that you are allowed.. so on days when I have a little extra fruit.. I'll go an extra 30 minutes on the exercise bike... which in the long run is only helping!!!! :smile:
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I think I'll just deduct the fruit sugars from the total, see what that number is for the day, and go from there.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Eat low sugar fruits such as plums or berries rather than say apples or bananas. A lot of bodybuilders don't eat fruit
  • ericasturn
    ericasturn Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I think I'll just deduct the fruit sugars from the total, see what that number is for the day, and go from there.

I like this idea!! I don't eat much sugar and shy away from fruit since it contains so much sugar, but I miss it! Maybe on days when I eat fruit I will try this.............
  • usmc01462
    usmc01462 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    I started eating more fruits and being a diabetic I checked my blood sugar and it was very high.. I had stopped for for a few months and then I did some research on it and found out that if you blend whole fruit with a couple of veggies (spinach) the fiber in the fruit counteracted the sugar...I am not going to get into all the details if you would like to know the site let me know...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    The sugar recommendations are for 'added sugar', not naturally occuring sugar.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sugars-and-Carbohydrates_UCM_303296_Article.jsp

Of course, diabetics should pay attention to it.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I wish that MFP would list fruit separately.
    I allow myself two servings of high quality fruit daily--usually blueberries or strawberries and apples. I don't count these towards sugar, there are too many important vitamins and nutrients in these fruits to skip them.
  • usmc01462
    usmc01462 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    Its a pain The worst thing is I have a blood clot disorder so I am on blood thinners for life and with that I have to cut out most greens that are High in Vit-K. And being diabetic I have to cut out alot of carbs try A diet like that.. Its very frustrating when you get chewed out by your gastro Doctor and your primary doctor for not following the diets...
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Per my nutritionist, best time to consume simple carbs is in the morning and just before working out. It's also good to balance it out with some protein as it slows the absorption of the sugar into the blood stream.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    EDITED:

You know what, just no. I'm out.

tumblr_mhf1scka6f1s4wlbio1_400.gif
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    take the sugar meter off of your macros bar, replace it with something else. You can eat as much fruit as you want. Sugar does not make you fat, fat makes you fat. I eat 200-300 grams of carbs/sugar a day. Don't worry about fruits.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/