Fairly new still and transitioning from WW to MFP

Options
2»

Replies

• ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have done Weight Watchers, each time successfully losing weight, in the 1970s, the 1990s and the 2000s. I heartily recommend WW for those who need to learn the basics and to become, perhaps for the first time, aware of different food values and the discipline of weighing and measuring portions. I am now using many things I learned at Weight Watchers and other things I have learned over the years to maintain what is a healthy weight loss plan.

If you want to learn a healthy way to lose weight for the first time and do not want to or cannot spend the individual time it takes to learn the basics of planning a healthy way of eating independently, then Weight Watchers meetings, materials, and weekly weigh ins are a great way to get started.

On the other hand, Weight Watchers also markets a great many products. You do not need to buy any of them to be successful using their program. The only one that is very useful is their points calculator. The food and other things are not at all necessary and may get you off track for learning how to maintain healthy eating habits without crutches.

I couldn't agree more with you than the way you worded this!! I think I learned a lot from when I did WW that I can apply here now. I know that WW is in the business to make $$$, but some of their stuff seemed to cost a little too much to me.
  • lolyno
    lolyno Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just joined MFP too and I was doing WW I loved it for a while but was at a stand still since joining here I'm done 11 ponds supper happy
  • sugarchic64
    sugarchic64 Posts: 52
    Options
    i worked for ww for over 15 years and life happened... so i got tired of the bs as with any job and well no longer work for ww!!! i think its a personal preference on what u like and what works we all know in order to be successful at losing weight and keeping it off is a life style change and creating good healthy habits everyone needs to be accountable, u eat less move more and ta----dummm u loose the weight!!! this is wonderful web site!!! it feels all new to me so im excited!!! and its working!!! so happy loosing everybody!!!! if u bite it write it just be good to urself set your mind to it and get off the booty and MOVE!!!:love:
  • EllytoSkinny
    Options
    Welcome! I am very much like you and just cancelled my WW membership last week because I found I was getting the support and tools I needed here. (I was doing the WW monthly pass and am paid up through mid-June.) Both WW and MFP are great, just different ways to track your food and exercise, and get support. I think whichever one works for you is one you should stick with, and what works for some won't work for others.

I love WW because it really helped me to take a look at what I was eating, what kinds of foods I was eating, etc. Now I reach for a banana instead of a 100-calorie pack of Lorna Doones. (I do still have some Doones, though, just not as many :) That being said, I never had a full understanding of how many calories I was consuming, what my breakdown of protein, fat, carbs, was, and sometimes converting a food to points was confusing (even though I had the app to do this.) I would much rather count calories. I also found that I was becoming obsessive with points and food and it was overwhelming.

I really liked WW because I knew once a week I had to weigh at the meeting and that helped me stay on track. After spending time on the MFP site and starting using these tools (vs. doing WW points) I found I was using MFP more and didn't see why I should continue spending money on WW.

I hope you will find the transition easy. They are many people on this site who have done both and the support here is amazing.
  • tenpoints4u
    tenpoints4u Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did WW 4 times over the years. I always got to 30-35 pounds and stopped. I was always eating points that were points but didn't go with the category. I'd get frustrated, stop and gain back 45. This site has been the best thing that has happened to me in a long time. It's easy to log in and if you have the chocolate cake at the restaurant it doesn't sugar coat the value. It' will tell you it's 1057 calories. Then it's up to you whether you eat a taste, 1/3 or all of it.
    My anniversary was two weeks ago and we went to Chris Ruth's steakhouse. I had the steak, asparagus and mushrooms, but they wanted to give up a piece of cake to celebrate. The cheesecake was 1057 calories and the chocolate cake was over 1300 for A SLICE!!! I told them to give us the cheesecake. I had 300 calories left after logging for the day, so I cut the cake in four pieces. My husband ate two of them and I had one that night and one the next night that was still inside my calorie count. I felt rewarded for the 33 years and in control of myself to only eat the small piece but I was fully satisfied.
    This is a wonderful site and the folks I have friended are the absolute best in the world. They have given me such encouragement and during this past week, I have had such stress, but knowing there was a little corner I could go to, log my food in and someone would send me that little hug from afar kept me on track. I never got that with WW and here it is free.
    Friend me if you like.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!