Homemade Mac and Cheese Help!

Options
So, I don't want to use the boxed mac and cheese anymore. To me, it's not only the added things, but it's also too salty... I have HBP and I'm trying to go low sodium wherever possible. What cheese is best to use? I like the taste of Velveeta, but it's just so salty!! Even the generic brands of the blocks of cheese is too salty.. but my toddler and I LOVE mac and cheese!

TIA! :)

Replies

• Alford96
    Alford96 Posts: 70
    Options
    I like to use part sharp or extra sharp cheddar and part mild or colby cheddar. The mild/colby makes it creamy, the sharp gives it that yummy cheesy flavor. Maybe you could try cooking the macaroni without salt and see if that cuts the saltiness for you.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I really like this recipe. I know my kids aren't big fans of the sharp cheddar taste, so I generally halve it with Cheddar/American.

http://www.food.com/recipe/stove-top-macaroni-and-cheese-weight-watchers-343880
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I use American cheese for the "creamy" part of mac and cheese, but I like some sharp cheddar cut in small cubes for some "bite." I agree....try not salting the macaroni when you boil it.........?
  • ohheyitsfelicity
    Options
    I just found a list of what is supposed to be 9 Healthy Mac & Cheese recipes (I didn't read into the ingredients too much): http://www.babble.com/babble-voices/ellen-seidman-1000-perplexing-things-about-parenthood/2013/02/05/healthy-mac-and-cheese-11-super-tasty-recipes/#spinach-mac-n-cheese-muffins

Hope I helped! :)
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I always make baked mac and cheese. check out skinnytaste.com
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
  • Heidi_11913
    Heidi_11913 Posts: 54
    Options
    I buy the broccoli steamers with cheese sauce, then add whole wheat noodles... very low cal. :)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    get some stouffers frozen
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I mix whole wheat elbow mac with one or two wedges of Laughing Cow cheese (I like the Chipotle flavor) and a little bit of the pasta cooking water or skim milk. Not the same, but close enough to satisfy me when I'm craving mac & cheese.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So, I don't want to use the boxed mac and cheese anymore. To me, it's not only the added things, but it's also too salty... I have HBP and I'm trying to go low sodium wherever possible. What cheese is best to use? I like the taste of Velveeta, but it's just so salty!! Even the generic brands of the blocks of cheese is too salty.. but my toddler and I LOVE mac and cheese!

TIA! :)

Salt is an integral part of cheddar, and other aged cheeses.

For home made stuff I would make an unsalted bechamel, and use unsalted butter. Then add cheese at a low temp and slowly. I would use the following mix:
    Gruyere
    Bierkase
    2 yr Cheddar

Mix that while warm into your cooked macaroni, into a casserole it goes and bake until awesome.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    google.. it's great for this kind of thing...

but I use cheddar.. and i'll mix it up with whatever else is in my fridge.. velveeta is gross.. ewwww..
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    google.. it's great for this kind of thing...

but I use cheddar.. and i'll mix it up with whatever else is in my fridge.. velveeta is gross.. ewwww..

It melts spectacularly well though, sadly. It has just the right mix of solids to fats to melt without separating.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Oooh, I do love the search feature on this site. Craving mac and cheese for dinner and don't wanna use the boxed stuff. I think I'll give this a whirl this week along side some chicken. :)
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I use extra sharp cheddar. Sometimes also some gruyere if I'm feeling fancy.
    Do NOT use Velveeta. That stuff is gross. And no American cheese, either. Just make a white sauce and add the cheese. It takes a little longer but tastes SO much better.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    When I make mac and cheese, it is the good stuff. I use a combo of gruyere and aged cheddar, melted into a bechamel sauce. Very yummy. Only on special occasions, though :)