Joint Pain While Exercising?

Options
Does anyone around here suffer from joint pain that is aggravated by exercise?

If so, any tips on things I can do to minimize the discomfort? The general rule of "if it hurts, don't do it" doesn't apply since literally everything hurts.

And to anyone wondering: Yes, I am working with a doctor, I'm just curious if anyone has any tips for what works for them. I'm 24, so I'm not really ready to "slow down" and accept limitations just yet.

Replies

• hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My knees bother me while working out all the time. I just try to land softly and always make sure that I keep my knees behind my toe box. I have also noticed that they hurt more when my muscles are tight and stretching relieves that pain. As the weight comes off, my knees always start to feel better because of less pressure on them.
  • ElizaJay143
    ElizaJay143 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping that'll be the case for me too... I'm looking at 20-25# to start which will take a ton of pressure off.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Which exercise, and which joints?
  • ElizaJay143
    Options
    For me, any repetitive movement and any joint that's connected with it.

For squats-- my knees & hips. Push up-- it's my shoulders, running-- my feet & knees. Strength work it'll even get into my hands from the lifting.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I tend to get joint pain, and I don't know what the answer is! Some exercise is definitely worse than others. Yoga is probably the most painful in a lot of joints, whereas walking is worse on my hips. I definitely notice a difference if I can't exercise (due to illness, etc.) and the pain just clears up!

The only things I've found that seem to help (apart from not exercising) is avoiding activities that cause the most pain, and trying to strengthen the muscles around the joints. I know people swear by glucosamine, chondrotoin, fish oils, etc., but they don't seem to have made noticeable difference to me.

I hope you manage to get to the bottom of it and find what works!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A heating pad applied 5-10 minutes before a workout can ease some of the pain, and I would take some ibuprofen before applying the heat so that by the time my work out was thru it will already be working to relieve any inflammation. Good luck!
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    If you're new to working out than that's usually normal.
    But for me I have joint pain all the time as I have hpyermobility joints or howerever you say it.

But my doctor recomended taking glucosime, which to me has helped a bunch with lubrication and my pain has decreased.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For cardio you could "run" on a mini trampoline .... much lower impact OR use low impact aerobics days in between to allow yourself some recovery.... my low impact go to is Walk at Home....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related

or circuit type: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0C8awjNIQ
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    For me, any repetitive movement and any joint that's connected with it.

For squats-- my knees & hips. Push up-- it's my shoulders, running-- my feet & knees. Strength work it'll even get into my hands from the lifting.

Do you have access to a pool or an exercise bike? Non-weight-bearing exercise might be worth a try. You could try swimming or do water aerobics...
  • ElizaJay143
    Options
    I'm definitely not new to working out, I know the cause of the pain-- I have Mixed Connective Tissue Disease-- I'll talk to my doc about glucosimine, that's not something I've explored yet, as well as the heat pack before exercise. ibprophen wont do any good, I'm on prescription anti-inflammatory meds 24/7.

Thanks everyone for the input!