Weight Lifting NSV

Options
Hey all!
I know I can put this up in motivation or success stories, but I figured this would be the board where people would come regarding lifting. I had a major breakthrough today (well, at least for me). I lifted with the barbell and free weights over in the "manly" part of the gym. I say "manly" because this is where a lot of the guys are and rarely are there any girls. I was the only girl over there today and with no shame, I kept checking my phone regarding form for moves and just executed them! I even asked a guy if I could work in with him on the incline bench. Anyway, I am super happy I did this and honestly, I respect myself so much for getting out of my comfort zone! If I can do this, anyone can!
Sarah

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    That is a great NSV! Good for you!
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    Good for you, congratulations!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Awesome! It feels so good to do things that make you uncomfortable enough to grow.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Congrats - and now that you've crossed over to the 'manly' section, now you can do so any time you want with no fear!
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    I know I can put this up in motivation or success stories, but I figured this would be the board where people would come regarding lifting. I had a major breakthrough today (well, at least for me). I lifted with the barbell and free weights over in the "manly" part of the gym. I say "manly" because this is where a lot of the guys are and rarely are there any girls. I was the only girl over there today and with no shame, I kept checking my phone regarding form for moves and just executed them! I even asked a guy if I could work in with him on the incline bench. Anyway, I am super happy I did this and honestly, I respect myself so much for getting out of my comfort zone! If I can do this, anyone can!
    Sarah

GREAT!!
  • vickidiane13
    vickidiane13 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome victory! I sooooo need to get the courage to do just that too! It is intimidating, and you were very brave!
  • nixerific
    nixerific Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO! I have been over on that side for a while now, but I'm still waaaay too shy to talk to any of the bros. I'm sure their nice, but they are all beef cakes and I'm just starting.
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I did this dance after reading this just for you in my living room.

Get your lift on girl!

oRkl5.gif
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Congrats in having the courage to conquer what it is rightfully ours too! Welcome and have fun.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    WTG!
  • rfechter
    rfechter Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration. I am still trying to get the courage to use the free weight section of the campus recreation center. As an overweight middle age woman I just feel too intimidated by all the young men always crowding the area. I still need to get the point where I can say it just doesn't matter. Way to go.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    So kewl.
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the positive feedback! And, for those of you who are still nervous, I completely understand. I am significantly overweight, but I just thought to myself, if I want to get tighter while losing weight, I am going to have to lift some weight. Also, those muscles look gorgeous on those men and I can only assume they will look equally gorgeous on me. Sure, today during my squats my tummy got all squished up and out, but darn it if I wasn't trying to do something about it. And, while I was not confident at first and during the workout, I pretended to be, and guess what, by the end, I was. You've got this!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    You go girl! You're well on your way to get toned!
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • crystal2point0
    crystal2point0 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Congrats on not only taking charge and moving into the 'man" area but ALSO for doing the asking someone to work in......alot of guys dont even do that! WTG