Opinion on proper forum etiquette?

Options
contingencyplan
contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
In your opinion, if someone has questions on an issue that was already addressed in an old thread (say, one that's more than a few months old), would it be more proper to necro the old thread by posting their concerns in that one or making a new topic? In my opinion I would rather see the old thread bumped back up. What would you rather see?

Replies

• Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Well if we did that every time, MFP would get boring now wouldn't it?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If they read the old thread, they would already have their answer, seeing as the question had already been addressed, wouldn't they?

I don't care, either way. People should do what they are most comfortable with.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Well, the reason I asked and why I have my opinion is because one of the reasons I feel that veteran site users get snide, sarcastic, and cynical with new users is that the new users post questions on topics that have already been addressed hundreds of times before in the past. If they would look to old threads for answers and leave new postings for new questions/new issues, I think it would help with creating a forum environment more friendly to new users, because the veteran users who are most capable of answering these questions wouldn't grow so impatient with them.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    well, it seems that you've answered your own question =)
  • Cp731
    Options
    Well, the reason I asked and why I have my opinion is because one of the reasons I feel that veteran site users get snide, sarcastic, and cynical with new users is that the new users post questions on topics that have already been addressed hundreds of times before in the past. If they would look to old threads for answers and leave new postings for new questions/new issues, I think it would help with creating a forum environment more friendly to new users, because the veteran users who are most capable of answering these questions wouldn't grow so impatient with them.

:devil: :yawn:
  • Cp731
    Options
    I feel that veteran site users get snide, sarcastic, and cynical with new users.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I don't think that referring to another thread is a bad thing. I think proper "ettiquette" involves answering the question and/or pointing out that if they do a search they'll find that their topic had already been discussed. I would find both responses helpful personally.

As for sarcasm, I think I'm a very sensitive person but have never been hurt over a sarcastic response to a serious question. The secret is to understand that it's not personal, they don't even know me, and if anyone thinks I'm misinformed or unintelligent, a random person's connent will not make it so:)
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options

Veteran site users that really want to help won't mind, and those that get snide, sarcastic, etc could just ignore the question and go on to another, more exciting and fulfilling question...(like Hot or Not, Rate the person above you, and so on.) I mean really, how many new and different questions are you going to get on a narrow topic web site? If you weren't allowed to post a previously asked question, soon the only ones with new posts would be the chat and success forums.
  • Cp731
    Options

Veteran site users that really want to help won't mind, and those that get snide, sarcastic, etc could just ignore the question and go on to another, more exciting and fulfilling question...(like Hot or Not, Rate the person above you, and so on.)

Sooooo..That's what you think they should do? I wonder what they'd think of that.
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    They have stickied posts in the General Help forum with a lot of helpful links, but not in the Food or Exercise forums. It might be helpful to copy the stickied posts to those forums. It also might be nice to have stickied Q & A posts where new people could ask questions. "Have a question? Ask here first" sort of thing.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    In your opinion, if someone has questions on an issue that was already addressed in an old thread (say, one that's more than a few months old), would it be more proper to necro the old thread by posting their concerns in that one or making a new topic? In my opinion I would rather see the old thread bumped back up. What would you rather see?

this question was asked before but i dont have the time to search for the thread and bump it. bro!

^^^ This... made me lol
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If the new person reads the thread and still has questions I'd prefer that they start a new thread with their specific question. I'd lead with "I used the search but I'm still wondering x because y".

But that's in a perfect world of course. :flowerforyou:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    well, since the old one was made, I'm sure new insults and gifs have been invented.

it wouldn't be fair now would it?

tom-cruise-no.gif

this place is so not about helping people anyway.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    well, since the old one was made, I'm sure new insults and gifs have been invented.

it wouldn't be fair now would it?

tom-cruise-no.gif

this place is so not about helping people anyway.

Everyone is different.

We're all here for the same reason.*

*Copyright Jof 2013 all rights reserved.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Well, their question is 99% likely to have been answered in that thread already. But, you will never get people to use the search engine. So.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    You never know what will come up when a new connection and interaction is made. So it's kind of fruitless to worry about this.

I enjoy snide and sarcastic replies anyway.

Btw, I meant to ask, will I go into starvation mode if I eat under 1200 net calories, even if I don't eat back my exercise calories?
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    oer6p.jpg