will this be damaging to my running? half marathon!!

Options
I'm running a half marathon in 9 days, and I ran 11 miles yesterday and am taking today as a rest day. 11 miles was the longest run I have done in almost a year, but I did it kind of on a whim and it really wasn't hard. I'm not sore or anything either--I feel pretty great. My friend wants to run 10 miles tomorrow with me which I just found out, so if I did it with her would it be damaging to my running endurance and affect how I run my half marathon in 9 days? Thanks! By the way, I'm female, 18, 5'1" and about 93-94 lbs and a cross country runner

Replies

• cbusenhart
    cbusenhart Posts: 7
    Options
    Had you worked your way up to the 11 miles? In my training plan, I usually did 4-5 miles twice a week with 1 long run on the weekend (never anything over 10 miles). The last long run was 1 week prior, with a taper during the week of the race. I would suppose that since you are so young and have been a runner, you're probably okay...but I would make sure you don't push it hard...just do an easy 10 miles.

Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I'd say go for it, but listen to your body. Don't push it too hard, try to run it easy and if you need to stop, stop. Then taper it down the week leading up to the race.
  • wswing
    wswing Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am by no means a professional when it comes to running but I have been reading a running book. From what I understand you should keep long runs to once a week and begin to shorten your runs a week or two before the race. I wouldn't chance it if it were me.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    That 11 should be your last long run before your race. If you want to run with your friend, run for a little while together and leave her part way through, 3 to 5 miles, I'd suggest. I do this with my sis all the time. We plan routes with plenty of turn back points so if one of us has to run longer than the other, there are options for shortening the route.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    9 days out and back to back long runs? At 41, it would be WAY too much on my body. But, if you're a distance runner and know when your body has had enough. . .I guess you could give it a go. Personally, I'd bow out of anything over 5 miles from here to race day.
  • ClarkWierda
    ClarkWierda Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've run many half and full marathons and have run different training plans for each.

Two long runs in three days is a lot unless you have the mileage to support it. I'd recommend not running another 10.

However (because I know runners), if you do run, run it very easy and be on the lookout for indications of stress as others have already said. Since you will want to run some, I'd go with the RunnerElizabeth's suggestion and run part way and turn back to hit your plan for tomorrow's run.

Good luck regardless of how you approach it.