Dr Recommends Gastric Bypass over lifestyle

Options
recesq
recesq Posts: 154 Member
I'm seeing a weight loss doctor and my endocrinologist on a regular basis.
Today I'm with my endo.
He hasn't seen me in 6 months.
After 3-4 minutes he says to me-and not in a compassionate voice-"So when are you going to
just buckle down and get the surgery?"
I was incensed.
I had just told him I've lost 45 pounds.
This is the 2nd time he's tried to bully me into surgery.
I told him "never".
I told him I know people whose lives were destroyed bc of a botched surgery.
Then I asked him what about the people who after 5 years start stretching what's left of their stomach out and become overweight all over again? My issue is appetite control. Cutting half my stomach won't stop appetite. But teaching my brain and body to reach for salads and protein when I'm hungry, and not cakes, cookies, ice cream and bread; and increasing my activity every month, week and day will help me to accomplish my goal.
When he was with a patient in the next room, I heard him telling that patient how he was an ovo lacto vegetarian....how superior it must be to be him.
I can't help but imagine how this as**ole has brow beaten less "stubborn" people into surgery. Don't get me wrong...surgery is the answer for some people, just like my methods are the answer for others. For this pompous as* to try to bully me into what he "thinks" is best for non-vegetarian fat people just rubs me the wrong way. I actually fantasized about getting up and beating the sh(& out of him right there in the treatment room.......but then I'd probably have a hard time refilling my testosterone prescription.

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor? How heavy are you if you don't mind answering and height? I'm just curious why he would recommend an operation. Maybe it's a private practice so he gets more $ that way.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You are awesome and thinking the right way ! Keeping weight off is about conditioning your body and mind to get used to healthy foods in moderate amounts, and daily exercise. Those cravings and binges are largely the side effects of sugar spikes and insufficient nutrition. Why would any doctor vouch for surgery when there is a safer, painless alternative that works for some people.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    3-4 minutes seems awfully fast to come up with such a recommendation.

His tone seemed pretty rude, especially considering your significant weight loss since your last visit.

Glad to hear you are focused on making permanent lifestyle changes instead of seeking the easy way out as your first option.
    I'm seeing a weight loss doctor and my endocrinologist on a regular basis.
    Today I'm with my endo.
    He hasn't seen me in 6 months.
    After 3-4 minutes he says to me-and not in a compassionate voice-"So when are you going to
    just buckle down and get the surgery?"
    I was incensed.
    I had just told him I've lost 45 pounds.
    This is the 2nd time he's tried to bully me into surgery.
    I told him "never".
    I told him I know people whose lives were destroyed bc of a botched surgery.
    Then I asked him what about the people who after 5 years start stretching what's left of their stomach out and become overweight all over again? My issue is appetite control. Cutting half my stomach won't stop appetite. But teaching my brain and body to reach for salads and protein when I'm hungry, and not cakes, cookies, ice cream and bread; and increasing my activity every month, week and day will help me to accomplish my goal.
    When he was with a patient in the next room, I heard him telling that patient how he was an ovo lacto vegetarian....how superior it must be to be him.
    I can't help but imagine how this as**ole has brow beaten less "stubborn" people into surgery. Don't get me wrong...surgery is the answer for some people, just like my methods are the answer for others. For this pompous as* to try to bully me into what he "thinks" is best for non-vegetarian fat people just rubs me the wrong way. I actually fantasized about getting up and beating the sh(& out of him right there in the treatment room.......but then I'd probably have a hard time refilling my testosterone prescription.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The doctor doesn't make any money with you doing it your way.
  • helaine79
    helaine79 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good for you! I have friends, and co workers who wanted an easy fix, and didnt understand it wasnt just the weight, but that they had trouble controling their eating, and gained all their weight back.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Keep doing a good job and ditch the bad doctor! You should be proud of yourself.
  • Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You have the right attitude and great job on losing the 45 pounds!!!!! What a jerk!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    switch doctors
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    The doctor doesn't make any money with you doing it your way.
    On your next visit, take a notepad and take notes while he's talking to you. And then ask him, "So you are actually recommending unnecessary surgery when I am successfully losing weight without it? Do you mind if I record these consultations?"

Or get a decent doctor.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Get a new doctor? How heavy are you if you don't mind answering and height? I'm just curious why he would recommend an operation. Maybe it's a private practice so he gets more $ that way.

According to the ticker, looks like about 360 with a goal to about 225. No way to deduce height but 45 lbs is a pretty good progress toward the goal set. I was thinking the same thing about getting a new doctor...
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Tell him to go get surgery on his brain.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options

**** Really important comment. **** Watch out if this guy is in private practice and would benefit financially from the surgery. This might sound farfetched, but a beloved family member of mine died because a private practice doctor overdid a medical treatment (not weight loss). Be careful. Trust your instincts since you can't stand the guy. Run, do not walk, to another doctor.
  • cassiepp4
    cassiepp4 Posts: 4
    Options
    My sister had a gastric bypass 12 years ago. The surgery went very well and she was feeling good and losing weight but 4 months later she had to have emergency surgery due to a blockage and we could have lost her.
    she did recuperate and did eventually lose about 120 lbs. she has managed to maintain her weight within about 20 lbs, but it is always a struggle to keep that last 20 pounds off.
    she often says "they operate on your stomach but they don't operate on your brain."
    You are absolutely right not to opt for the surgery.
    Your doctor is an *kitten*.

Keep up the good work!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    He makes money off the surgery. None from you doing it the old fashioned way.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Get a new doc.
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good for you making the decision that's right for YOU and your weight reduction accomplishments!

I have mixed feelings about surgery, I do believe it's for some people, I don't think it's right for me despite being heavy all my life and having problems with food addictions. I do not believe that surgery is an "easy way out" as some people seem to think, I know people who've had it and it's not by any means "easy" - it's still a lifestyle change and as the OP mentioned people can start to stretch the stomach out and gain weight again if they don't learn better eating habits.

My sister in law is smaller than me and she had the sleeve surgery, so my whole family is trying to push me into it. When I last saw them, I announced I had lost 12 pounds and the first thing I heard was "well if you had started the pre-surgery program already you could have counted the 12 pounds towards your required weight loss before surgery" and then I also get "you are never going to lose 200 pounds on your own!" Also my friend who's about to have gastric bypass is constantly reminding me of the low statistics of successful and lasting weight loss...

My point amongst the rambling is that we know our own bodies and capabilities better than anyone else and it's our decision in the end. It's great that you were able to take an alternate route. Wishing you many happy years ahead as you continue your healthy lifestyle!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    My sister had a gastric bypass 12 years ago. The surgery went very well and she was feeling good and losing weight but 4 months later she had to have emergency surgery due to a blockage and we could have lost her.
    she did recuperate and did eventually lose about 120 lbs. she has managed to maintain her weight within about 20 lbs, but it is always a struggle to keep that last 20 pounds off.
    she often says "they operate on your stomach but they don't operate on your brain."
    You are absolutely right not to opt for the surgery.
    Your doctor is an *kitten*.

Keep up the good work!

A have a friend who's husband got the gastric band thing. He got an infection so severe it nearly killed him. It had to be removed.
    Non surgical is always best if you're strong enough to do it.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you have the guts to say 'No!', OP!

I can't stand the thought of throwing up on perfectly normal foods. I admire those who do succeed with surgery, but the limits it puts on your culinary life are not something I'd volunteer for, even without taking the risk of complications into consideration.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    You're doing well without any surgery. Just don't give up and you'll get there just fine :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    High fives to you - you are on your way to reaching all your goals - and you are doing it by understanding your relationship with food and emotions!

Don t let anyone ever make decisions for you - you are showing you can do this!!