Replies

• MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I actually like the term as it applies to the state of being unhealthy but at a low weight. Without that term I never would have looked into it and believed my husbands concerns for his own health since he's always been slender but sensed something was not right. He was right, but it was so hard to conceive of for me until I heard this term and got validation for his complaints.

I don't like when anyone misuses any terms though like "skinny fat", "curvy", etc. I think that often gives terms a new meaning and dilutes their original meaning and makes it hard to find another way to say the same thing, but hard to use the original term without stepping in *kitten*. Now I can't tell a person they seem skinny fat, because I may contributing to promotion of ED, or who knows what else that my imply by now. I would love to tell a friend who complains of feeling ill or tired or anything else that this term may apply and they may want to look at their diet or have the Dr. do bloodwork, not imply something along the lines of vanity. A woman can't simply describe herself as curvy to a stylist on the phone or a man online because it will mean entirely different things to different people. When people want to be modest or self-deprecating and just employ a term to beat themselves with it, or promote themselves as something they're not, it makes the term meaningless after awhile. It then makes it a struggle to get the same point across when the original term provided such brevity and clarity. Too bad.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't want to add to anyone's distress over using a term. I don't think that should rank up there with things to stress about. I think you can still discuss the concept with a friend that is trying to understand her fitness needs.

It is important for people to understand what are the healthy amounts of lean body mass that they need for their size and is better than thinking only in terms of fat loss. This is going to vary per size of person, so accurate information for that particular person is always important. This allows people not to think they need lower and lower bf%.

People just need to be better informed. The problems come in because most people think they are more informed and educated than they are.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Well.. being new here... I had never heard the term... but reading through the replies, I am starting to think I am on the skinny-fat cusp (if there is one). haha I started at 5'1", only 113.8 pounds, but I had a muffin top! I think my bf% is only about 15% and my bmi is normal, of course (close to underweight, actually) but I never worked out anymore and seriously need to step my game up with the fitness! See, even "skinny *****es" like me need to work on themselves... Don't let terms and categories get you down. You are doing great and deserve to be recognized for that! Besides, those girls who are doing it for the wrong reasons, will never truly be happy with themselves.... they will always find fault with themselves. Much better to continue what you are doing and feel great about it and not bring yourself down because you aren't doing this or that. Good luck continuing in your journey of fitness! :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My understand of skinny fat is when someone is of a normal body weight but with an overweight or obese BF%.

So two 5'4" girls both weighing 125 lbs with the following BF%:

24% = toned

30 or higher = skinny fat
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I hear you! And agree! The term gets way overused and misused. I see so many young, beautiful girls (that look damn perfect to me) calling themselves that. It is very destructive for people prone to ED's. And everyone has a different meaning for it.

I'm not skinny fat. I'm fit, have a low bf %, active and capable, and I look fantastic naked!! And I eat a ton! And I'm superbly healthy.

I think some young ladies who already have damn good bodies call themselves skinny-fat to hide their incipient anorexia.

And good for you, with your slammin' body.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I don't like it either. People tell me I'm not "skinny fat". But I think if I Iost fifteen pounds without lifting, isn't that the definition??? I know my body composition will improve with lifting. That term is just another way to insult someone IMO.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    The term is meant to refer to some one who is in the normal bmi range(or lower) for their height, but still has a high BF%. The term does get misused a lot, but I don't think the term itself is bad.

edit: Your rant seems more like your leaning towards the misuse of the term.

^^^ this

"normal weight obesity" is a medical term for when someone has a BMI in the healthy range, while their body fat percentage is in the obese range. Skinny-fat used to be a colloquial term for normal weight obesity. However it's been widely misused, and most people who are called "skinny-fat" do not have normal weight obesity.

See, that's the point, it used to refer to "normal weight obesity" now it refers to a multitude of things. The Englush language is forever evolving, some phrases change their meaning faster than others. This is one of those.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I never had heard the term "skinny fat" until I started lurking these boards a few weeks ago. It was enough to make me realize that I need to rethink my exercise plan and start working on it now instead of waiting until I get closer to my goal weight.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Skinny fat occurs when someone loses weight rapidly just to obtain a magic number, not caring about fitness, thus losing lean body mass, and possibly having excess skin. They would become skinny fat. Read this and it will help you understand "skinny fat" for those who are confused or have the wrong idea what it is. Becaause I am thinking alot of people, even on this thread, arent' grasping it...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides. I do see girls on here from time to time calling themselves "skinny fat" when there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.

On the other hand, there are people out there with a normal BMI that have an unusually high body fat percentage and lower muscle mass. In this case, the term is used correctly. To combat this, the answer isn't weight loss - it's lifting heavy and building muscle.

So while it is a legitimate term, it can be overused in some cases.

Totally agree.

I've been there, almost. Technically speaking, I was in a normal range for body fat percentage, so I wasn't really skinny fat, but still disproportionately mushy. Muffin top, back fat rolls, double chin, etc. If I'd continued on the path I was on (not eating nearly enough), I would have never achieved the kind of body I wanted. I just would have been a smaller version of the same mush.

But yeah... most of the time people use skinny fat on here, they're either using as a threat/warning ("you don't want to end up skinny fat," which you don't) or to describe themselves when they're perfectly normal and healthy.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    It's a misnomer.
    It does not describe body composition in a way most people conceive.
    Find a better phrase to describe the fat to muscle ratio of a person's body.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I hear you! And agree! The term gets way overused and misused. I see so many young, beautiful girls (that look damn perfect to me) calling themselves that. It is very destructive for people prone to ED's. And everyone has a different meaning for it.

I'm not skinny fat. I'm fit, have a low bf %, active and capable, and I look fantastic naked!! And I eat a ton! And I'm superbly healthy.

I think some young ladies who already have damn good bodies call themselves skinny-fat to hide their incipient anorexia.

And good for you, with your slammin' body.

Thanks! :smile:
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the OP. The term gets thrown around a lot. If you're skinny, you're not fat. Fat means overweight. You can be unhealthy, thin, not having much muscles, all of which are not great - but you're not fat if you're skinny.
    The term is often used by fat people, especially fat people who claim they have a lot of muscle underneath. It's a way of stating to slimmer people "don't think you're so much better than me".
    I absolutely agree that being skinny can still mean you're unhealthy. But overall, being skinny is better than being fat so it is ridiculous when some people claim otherwise. I see girls being called "skinny fat" even though they don't have a high bodyfat percentage.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I feel like ranting right now on that term. Why? Because I feel like a lot of healthy, active skinny girls are calling themselves that because they don't look like a Victoria's Secret model or a fitness model.

Coming from someone who does her absolute best to stay in shape and eat healthy, that term just brings extra pressure to look a certain way. I just get the feeling lately that the pressure to be completely toned with perfectly sculpted muscles is just as damaging as the pressure to be a size 0.

I will always agree that strength training and cardio is the best. But for me- right now my best is to run- and I run a lot, and I'm toned, I have a very low body fat %, but I am no fitness model. Too many people don't use that term correctly- rather they use it to describe themselves when really they are in good health.

I am not bashing those who do it all- I certainly wish I had that extra motivation to fit a very well-rounded workout into my life- but then I'd also be taking the joy out of my workouts.

Again, we are all here to be healthier people- but no one should feel bad about not having that "perfect" body, especially after doing so much to begin with.
    totally agree
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am the definition of skinny fat. Im 5'8 and a size 6 but im at 28% body fat!! I look great with clothes on but you can definitely tell in a bikini.

It's definitely down to proportions as well. Some women have naturally good proportions where the fat seems to distribute well, others have to work off a bit more to get the right figure.
    28% body fat is not bad. It's normal/average. It obviously depends on your body, and you can change it if it's best for you, but the number itself is not alarming.

http://www.vitalitypower4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/women-body-fat-percentage.jpg

Personally I find the 25% figure the most attractive of those pictured.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    well, no one have to like the term skinny fat
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    then what do you propose you call people with normal weights and high body fat levels? It seems you're ranting against something unrelated to the term...

Normal weight obesity is technically correct. Since it is descriptive with clear meanings it does not get used incorrectly. But, do whatever you want. I don't care. I just don't like seeing normal, beautiful girls call themselves that when it's not true at all. Or seeing dingbats calling people it when it's not true. Or seeing people become obsessive.

How is this term any better? "Normal weight obesity" has the word "obese" in it. So according to you, skinny girl with an ED would still be affected by the term.
  • eidnahenri2
    eidnahenri2 Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree, OP. Before I came here I thought that "skinny fat" was a possibly useful term to describe people who were slim but had high visceral fat (and so, greater risk of certain diseases). Now it just seems to have become an insult, or a way to describe anyone who isn't obviously fat but isn't muscular. It has come to be about appearance, rather than health risk. It's also become a way for people who aren't at all overweight to feel that their body is wrong and that it's their fault.

It's not just the term, it's the fact that there is pressure on people to have low body fat, regardless of health risk (I believe).
    I couldn't agree more.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Well.. being new here... I had never heard the term... but reading through the replies, I am starting to think I am on the skinny-fat cusp (if there is one). haha I started at 5'1", only 113.8 pounds, but I had a muffin top! I think my bf% is only about 15% and my bmi is normal, of course (close to underweight, actually) but I never worked out anymore and seriously need to step my game up with the fitness! See, even "skinny *****es" like me need to work on themselves... Don't let terms and categories get you down. You are doing great and deserve to be recognized for that! Besides, those girls who are doing it for the wrong reasons, will never truly be happy with themselves.... they will always find fault with themselves. Much better to continue what you are doing and feel great about it and not bring yourself down because you aren't doing this or that. Good luck continuing in your journey of fitness! :)

I doubt that you have only 15% body fat with a muffin top. 15% is hard to reach for a woman.