Fitbit vs. Nike Fuelband vs. BodyMedia

Options
2»

Replies

• TiaXL
    TiaXL Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia Core and I love it! They do have the ability to track your HR, just have to get the device that supports it. Many have said it is expensive, I spent $65 on Ebay and it was the best decision ever. I had an UP from Jawbone and it was not as accurate as the BodyMedia Core.
    ~~~~~
    Garmin Heart Rate Support?
    If you enable heart rate support then Activity Manager can import and display heart rate data from Garmin heart rate monitors. We currently support the following Garmin® devices:
    Forerunner 60
    Forerunner 305
    Edge 305
    Forerunner 610
    Other Garmin heart rate devices supported by the Garmin ANT Agent™ software should also work but BodyMedia has not tested all heart rate monitors and cannot guarantee support for other devices.

When enabled, the Activity Manager Dashboard page will display the summary and detail information of imported heart rate sessions. To import new heart rate data into the Activity Manager, click on the import button within the heart rate section of your Dashboard. Activity Manager relies upon the Garmin software so you can perform the import only from the computer where you have the Garmin ANT Agent or Training Center software installed.

For best results, you should sync your armband data first and then import your heart rate data.
  • TiaXL
    TiaXL Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia Core -
    Note: There is a $6.95 per month but free for 3 months when you register. The best part is it monitors your sleep, steps, caloric intake and more.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    This is battle of the bands! (lol, I had to)

So, I've got one friend who has a Nike Fuelband, and she absolutely loves it. I've got another friend who has a BodyMedia, and she loves hers. I've heard some good things about the Fitbit. This is the first I'm really even hearing of these kinds of things existing, but they all seem pretty neat. Tracking calories burnt through the day, all of that stuff. I thought about saving up for one of these and getting myself one once I meet my physical activity goal. The question, though, is which one?? So many options!

Here's what I've compiled to be the pros of each.

--Fitbit--
    - Comes in a wrist form (points from me), and two other forms (one clip on, the other not sure)
    - Lowest price is 59.99, which is lower than both the others
    - Tracks steps, distance, and calories
    - Calorie counting
    - Tracks your sleep

--Nike Fuelband--
    - Measures movement (in Nike fuel?)
    - Tracks progress with set goal
    - Displays goal on actual wristband
    - Achievements system
    - Social media involvement

--BodyMedia--
    - Customizable skins (that's always fun, right?)
    - Tracks calories burnt with everyday activities
    - Tracks your sleeping

Those are all the pros I can think of at this time. Correct me if I'm wrong, or add any more if I'm missing any.

As for the cons, that's where you fine people of MFP come in!
    What I'm asking you, my fellow users with goals, is to give me insight as to which of these has more pros than cons? Fill in any cons from personal experience, fill in any pros from personal experience, any testimonies from anything of the sort, etc.
    What do you all think? Which band is the best? :)

I can't comment on the Nike because I've never heard of it but I have the Body Media and my daughter has the Fit Bit One. The $59.99 Fit Bit does not track sleep. You need the Fit Bit One for this, which is more like $100. I like both but if I had it to do over, I'd get the Fit Bit One because you can hide it under your clothes. I hate the way the Body Media armband looks and I sometimes take the armband off and hide the device in my bra but I don't think it's as accurate there. My daughter and I have done similar activities together and the numbers are similar so I think they are compatible from a functionality standpoint.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've got the Fitbit Flex. I had the One and liked it a lot, but when the Flex came out I opted for the convenience of not having to take it off except for charging. If it had an HRM and a little longer battery life (my One lasted about 10 days, my Flex closer to 4-5) it would be perfect. I do use it for sleep tracking and I use the silent alarm all the time. I've heard good things about BM from people that have it but I'm not willing to have it strapped to my arm 24/7. Sometimes I look to make sure my Flex is still on because it really is that light.