Smokers

Options
2»

Replies

• Diana8923
    Diana8923 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I started smoking at age 11. I smoked for 39 years! I thought about and attempted to quit many times over the years.

I gained my weight just before I actually stopped smoking. I had been feeling less than well for a long time. It got to where I could barely breathe or move anymore. That is when I started gaining. Finally, I thought I was just waiting to die. I really felt that I had emphysema. So, a trip to the doctor followed. To my surprise, and his, I did not have emphysema and he actually said my lungs looked wonderful. He couldn't even believe I had smoked, let alone for almost 40 years. I asked for help to quit that day. He prescribed me Chantix. I used it as directed and was smoke free within the next week. I never smoked another one and never had a withdrawl or craving. I thought I found a miracle cure. That was 5 years ago.

I did not start thinking of losing that weight until 02/24/12. But, when I decided it was time, there was no stopping me. I am 11 pounds from my goal weight, down from a 20/22 to a 4/6 and have gained an entire, wonderful life that gives me such joy now.

Do whatever you can to take control and experience all life has to offer. It's wonderful to be among the living. I look fit and healthy, I feel fit and healthy and now I feel like I have so much more life to live. Giving up the smokes was the first step. Do it! Good luck! I hope you get everything in life that you hope for! <3 By the way, I' just turned 56 years old and nobody believes it.

You are an inspiration to me! There are words I need that could turn my life around. Lots of hugs and respect! :wink: :wink:
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I started smoking at age 12. I quit cold turkey the day my daughter was diagnosed with asthma when I was 23. Did I gain weight from quitting? No. I gained weight from eating! LOL You can do it if you really want to.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey after 20 years of smoking, I can recommend Allen Carr's Easy Way book, a fair number of MFPs have had success with it. Good luck.
  • Diana8923
    Options
    I started smoking at age 12. I quit cold turkey the day my daughter was diagnosed with asthma when I was 23. Did I gain weight from quitting? No. I gained weight from eating! LOL You can do it if you really want to.

Congrats for the strong will! I am happy for you and your daughter!
    It's a tricky thing with smoking vs. eating. I kinda have the tendency to eat more if I'm not smoking, like lots of people. But I know it's a matter of self-control. Hope to prove myself that I'm stronger than I think. Hugs!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Any temporary weight gain from quitting smoking is totally worth it. You can shed the pounds, but you can't get rid of premature wrinkles around the mouth and all the other nasty permanent effects of smoking.
  • sgrubby
    sgrubby Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I smoked a pack a day for 35 years and quit cold turkey last December. It was time. I was ready. For about 3 weeks I ate everything in sight. Once the cravings began to subside, I buckled down and began to change my eating habits. I'm not claiming to be special or more disciplined than the average person. I had decided that it was time to take control, to get healthy. Anyone can do it. You just need to make the decision and carry it out. You have to be ready to make a change and determined to see it through.
  • Diana8923
    Options
    Any temporary weight gain from quitting smoking is totally worth it. You can shed the pounds, but you can't get rid of premature wrinkles around the mouth and all the other nasty permanent effects of smoking.

You are right!
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I'm using vapes to quit. I'm down to 2 cigs a day from about 8...
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Here is something from the Network for a Healthy California that might be helpful:

Q Who gains weight when they stop smoking? Will I?

A: Not everyone gains weight when they stop smoking. People are most likely to gain weight
    when they stop smoking if they have smoked for 10 to 20 years or smoked one or more packs of
    cigarettes a day. You can control your weight while you quit smoking by making healthy eating
    and physical activity a part of your life.

When nicotine, a chemical in cigarette smoke, leaves your body, you may experience:
    • Short-term weight gain. The nicotine kept your body weight low (by artificially
    increasing your heart rate, which takes more energy), and when you quit smoking, your
    body returns to the weight it would have been had you never smoked.
    • You might gain 3 to 5 pounds due to water retention during the first week after quitting.
    • A need for fewer calories. After you stop smoking, you may use fewer calories than when
    you were smoking.

Q: Does this additional weight gain hurt my health?
    The health risks of smoking are far greater than the risks of gaining 5 to 10 pounds. Smoking
    causes more than 400,000 deaths each year in the United States. The benefits of quitting smoking
    far outweigh the risks of a few extra pounds.

Q: How can I minimize weight gain?

Be more physically active. This will help you burn more calories and is a healthy way to control
    your weight and take your mind off smoking. In addition to helping control your weight, exercise
    increases your energy, promotes self-confidence, improves your health, and may help relieve the
    stress and depression caused by the lack of nicotine in your body.

Gradually improve your eating habits. Changing your eating habits too quickly can add to the
    stress you may feel as you try to quit smoking. Eating a variety of foods is a good way to
    improve your health. The Nutrition Facts Label that is found on most processed food products
    can also help you select foods that meet your daily nutritional needs. Try to limit foods high in
    fat and sugar. Try to eat mostly fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats/fishes. Cut out
    high calorie beverages and sauces.

Learn which foods are best for maintaining a healthy weight. Sometimes the hardest part of
    losing weight is figuring out what to eat and what to avoid. Start reading food labels and seeking
    out advice from health care providers/nutritionists about which foods you should be eating.

Replace smoking with other activities. Snack on fruit or sugarless gum to satisfy sweet
    cravings. Consider taking up a new activity/hobby to replace smoking. You could try taking
    walks, knitting or working puzzles.

Drink less caffeine. Limit beverages that contain caffeine (coffee, sodas, non-herbal tea).
    Nicotine withdrawal often makes people jittery and nervous; caffeine may only make nicotine
    withdrawal worse.

Get enough sleep. When you feel tired, you are more likely to crave cigarettes and food.

Reduce tension. People often turn to food in times of stress. Try to find an activity that helps
    you reduce stress like taking walks or doing breathing exercises.

Get support and encouragement. You need a lot of support when you quit smoking. Talk to a
    friend when you get the urge to smoke or join a support group such as Nicotine Anonymous. If
    you can, find a friend to quit with you for mutual support.

Try not to do things that tempt you to smoke or eat when you are not hungry. Make a note
    of where and when you feel most tempted to smoke and avoid these situations. Substitute healthy
    activities for smoking to help you avoid the urge to smoke or eat when you are not hungry.

Try not to panic about modest weight gain. Some weight gain is a normal result of the nicotine
    leaving the body. If possible, before you quit, prepare a plan to quit smoking that includes simple
    changes in your eating and exercise habits. Improving your lifestyle as you stop smoking can
    help you prevent a large weight gain and become a healthy nonsmoker.
  • Candace18stoneToLose
    Options
    Hey there,

I quit smoking four years ago. Before that I'd pretty much been a smoker since my earliest days in my mum's uterus. She smoked, my father smoked, well, everybody in my family smoked. I started smoking first hand when I was 13. So how did I quit? I locked myself in my house for seven days and told everyone to stay away from me. Why?

1. I had done a lot of research on cigarette addiction and had concluded that if I could keep myself away from the chemical for at least 5 days that I stood a fighting chance. I made it 7 days to be safe.

2. I had to be alone for a week because everyone I knew smoked. I couldn't have them over as it would defeat the purpose of completely eliminating nicotine from my life for a week.

For me the challenge of quitting was exactly that, a challenge. I wanted to quit, but for years I had fallen into the same psychological trap that almost every smoker does when they think of quitting. That trap is the idea that it is somehow very difficult, physically taxing, emotionally draining, etc. So before I locked myself in I told myself over and over again that it would be easier than I had heard, that everyone else just psychs themselves out.

During my seven days of solitude I washed all of my bedding and clothes multiple times; washed my ceilings, walls, and windows; worked out everyday for at least 30 minutes; and consciously kept myself from replacing smoking with another habit like gum chewing, sucking on pens or straws, picking my nails, etc. The idea is to quit a habit, not replace it with another one.

I emerged from my spotless home feeling victorious. I hadn't had a craving for a cigarette since about half through day 3, I was already smelling things better, and overall feeling much better-especially in the mornings because my cough that had been there for years had grown much less severe. I went to visit a smoking friend who had told me she wanted to quit so I could inspire with my victory. As soon as I got close to her a wall of stench hit my face like a shovel, digging into my senses and making me gag. The smell of a smoker is one that is truly disgusting, and I had never realised it before that because I'd always been desensitised to it. That was the proverbial nail in the coffin for me. I never want to smell like that again.

Have I had cravings in the last four years? Yes, but mild. It wasn't a longing for it or anything powerful enough to even make me seriously consider lighting up, but there have been maybe 10 times over the past four years at which I thought 'damn, I could use a smoke.' They were all caused by stress or anxiety, but I got through them without smoking or replacing smoking with another habit.

Now I just need to do this with food.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck with quitting. :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I smoked from 13-30 years old. You have to mentally prepare yourself to quit. I had planned months in advance of when I was going to quit. My mind was made up to quit on that date which happened to be New Years Day 2005. Smoking is more than an addiction, it is a habit. A smoke to motivate in the morning, a smoke to calm down, a smoke to celebrate a meal, a smoke and a beer, and smoke when your bored or in deep conversation. These things and more are triggers that you'll need to prepare for.
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking going on 4years ago... The only reason I gained weight was that I slipped and broke my ankle... couldn't walk for 4months.... so I just sat in front of television all day... every day ...eating all the food I could get my hands on!!! Losing weight has a lot to do with your cardiovascular system... and smoking has a lot to do with diminishing cardiovascular functions! Stay active... eat right... and your weight can be controlled. :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • Diana8923
    Options
    Hi guys!!! I want you to know that I quit smoking 5 weeks ago. I am now a happy non-smoker, thanks to the Allen Carr book that a friend on this forum sent me. :) I had so much support from you guys... Thank you!
    I was so eager to write here my own success story and now I can. After 5 weeks, I now consider myself cured. Quitting is muuuuuch easier than I thought it would be. I didn't gain weight - I even lost 2 kilos - I didn't lock myself in the house, but I went out more; I continue to drink my coffee, take my breaks and hang out with my smoking friends (these things I learned in the book). And I really think now that I took the best decision I could take.

If anyone needs someone to talk to about quitting smoking, feel free to add me.

Lots of hugs! :heart:
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good luck keeping off the ciggies
    I gave up a year and a half ago after smoking for fourty years and still have the odd moment of craving
    stick with it