Do you get decent support at home?

Options

Replies

• survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Yes and No. Sometimes I feel it but then I will get a "present" of cheesecake, etc. & I think not. But...I have reached the point in my life where I have realized, support or no support, this is MY journey & I have to be my own support. Plus I have MFP friends who understand my ups & downs and are here for me in good times or bad. And maybe at some point I can introduce him to MFP & he can join me in goals.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm sad to see so many people not getting the support at home :(. I do get tons of support. My guy is doing the workouts with me - we just finished week 7 of Insanity. And will be going into Les Mills Combat starting June 9th. And we just started training together for some upcoming obstacle course runs for Sept. and Oct. We also do all our grocery shopping together and he cleans up after I cook..so it works out well. I do the MFP thing on my own though, he isn't on here, even though I'm sure he feels like he is cuz I talk about it every day lol.

I don't think I would have stuck to it these last 3 months on my newly dedicated journey if I hadn't had him doing this with me. If he was to all of a sudden drop off this journey I'd be fine on my own, but getting to the point I am now mentally would have been super difficult without support from him.
  • deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I first met my husband 6 years ago he didn't work out but I did all the time. I would go at night after my oldest went to bed. When our youngest was born in 2010 I tried to get back into working out during the day but my youngest didn't like going to the daycare at the gym...so I stopped. I got diagnosed with Hypothyroidism and on some meds. I lost about 10lbs very slowly and then some weight came of little by little. This past December I got back on MFP and started working out but not as often as I do now. Planet Fitness opened up here and we both joined. He loves to workout now and we have been supporting each other since January of this year!
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Recently my husband started taking his health and weight loss seriously, which has in turn helped me tremendously. I do most of my workouts before he wakes up/when he is t work (where he has access to a gym on his breaks) but occasionally we will go for a walk as a family. Making dinner has been easier as he's open to some newer things, and we're not going through food as quickly. He's noticed the small changes I've made and compliments me on them :)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't join me for my workouts, but that doesn't make him unsupportive.

Basically this. My husband is on MFP and we do a lot to support each other but 95% of the time we work out separately. Maybe rather than focus on ways your wife doesn't "support" you, you can look for ways she does -- like grocery shopping or cooking or if you have kids, she watches them so you can workout in peace.

My husband does intense cardio and strength training 2-3 times a week for 60-90 minutes, I do much less intense routines 20-40 minutes 3-5 times a week. Occasionally (maybe once a month) he joins me because he wants something easier than what he normally does. I never, ever join him.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    That certain time of the month (when all I want to do is sit and eat chocolate gelato in my bed) my boyfriend basically throws me over his shoulder and takes me to the gym with him, saying "you'll thank me later". I usually do. In terms of fitness, he's been a great motivator, and I've learned a lot of what I know about lifting from him.

That being said, in terms of healthy eating it was a struggle at first. He's never dieted in his life, and usually needs to stuff himself silly when in gaining mode. However, I've won him over in the eating department for the most part, since he feels he performs better and has more energy when he eats well. Also, I'm usually the one cooking dinner, so he has no say :laugh:

Don't get me wrong, we both go to the all-you-can-eat ribs restaurant and get a birthday cake sundae every weekend, but throughout the week we've learned to eat the right way together.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband, and the rest of my family are very supportive. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones?

Does he work out with me? No... but he makes sure I get the time to do it.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I sort of get support at home. My fiance tells me how great i look or that he is proud of me for the effort I am making but usually only says this after I tell him how hard of a workout I had or that I was able to stay in my calories even though I spent the entire day on the road.

I started "dieting" and ate 1200 cals a day for months. From March to the end of April I was at a weight lost plateau. I could not get below 196. I started researching why and found MFP. What a game changer. There is so much info in these forums that its invaluable. I discovered the reasons why eating more is better TDEE, BMR and most importantly Fitbit.

I tried telling my fiance about this, sending him articles to read, but he is not interested in it. When he feels like dieting he eats 1200 cals a day. When he does not, he eats an entire pizza.

I, on the other hand, decided that this if for the rest of my life and not just quick fix. I eat my cals based on my fitbit and exercise. In 5 weeks I have lost 6 lbs and love it. I get encouragement from my FL here on MFP. My fiance sees the changes and says nice things sometimes but has no interest in following the program. I am happier with the way I feel and I dont feel like I am dieting anymore.

Even though he is supportive, he sometimes makes comments that are not so supportive. Yesterday we went out for errands and decided that we would eat Portillo's (Chicago fast food place). They have one location here in LA and it was a nice reminder of back home. I knew going in that this was a going to be a big meal with lots of cals and I was willing to go for it, The meal was over 1000 cals so the only way I could fit dinner in cals (and stay under like I wanted) was to walk on my treadmill for 30 mins. I could have skipped the walk but I did not want to waste my efforts because I went over.

When I mentioned this to my fiance, he told me I was going overboard with the counting, the exercise, and the entire fitness routine. I decided right there that I would no longer talk about my weight loss plan and when he sees that I am doing great, maybe he will jump on board. Or he wont. I love him, he loves me, but this weight loss journey is for me and me alone.
  • LouiseH238
    LouiseH238 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I think I do feel supported overall. My SO is not interested in diet and fitness but he listens to me talking about it without complaining. He encourages me to exercise and is proud when I do, and notices when weight comes off (I'm not sure whether he thinks it's good or bad, he likes me fat.)

I am lucky in the sense that we live quite separate lives while still living together, so I never have to worry about cooking meals because we don't eat at the same times anyway.
  • MrsTazz1101
    Options
    My husband is supportive of what I want to do and when I exercise - but I am having trouble with the food. He states that he doesn't care if I lose weight or not.

In the past few years he has decided to be the one to cook dinner. It's great except that he makes HUUUGGEE portions. I tell him that I need smaller portion size and he says because I use my brain for my job, I need more calories. His intentions are awesome - but makes things challenging for me. :love:

BTW...His job is physically demanding - so he doesn't need the exercise as he gets it all day long. He climbs, trims trees and drags brush. I helped him one day and found out how DEMANDING his job really is. I lost 5 pounds working with him in 1 day! :happy:

So, to sum up- I feel support from him - but still find the challenge when it comes to food..
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I think I have the perfect home life and environment when it comes to maintaining a healthy diet. I am truly lucky and blessed.

My husband has been on Weight Watchers since January, and is down 30 lbs with 20 more to go. We both eat very clean, cook healthy recipes together, and keep each other motivated. Nutrition is talked about often.

We don't have any kids, but we do have a greyhound named Puma. She is great thinspo.
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yes. My husband is very concerned about my health so he is always taking me to the doctor to make sure I am doing this right. He takes me to the pool every night at 8:30 to swim laps even though all he does is sit in the hottub or read his paper in the car. He buys me whatever I need. He stopped eating fast food because I can't have it. He's awesome!
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank my husband for being my everything. We are best friends, not only do we talk about everything, I can be like "one of the guys" but am his sexy hot wife. Every year of our marriage he gives me the gift of more confidence, better body appreciation and a whole handful of good qualities that make me feel better about the amazing woman I am. I started off shy and not knowing my self worth. Now I can say I am not only a good mother and a good wife, but a fun friend for my husband, he has fun with me :), I am beautiful and a person to be proud of. He has always loved being fit and I never thought about exercise, now in the past month I have gotten into the fitness thing and he is learning about eating well from me. We both make a great team and will be one fit couple. I think with us being so close my decision to become fit has given us more strength as a couple. We are now an unstoppable force. And just to note we have been together 7 years and I have only exercised 1 month! He never was told enough by me how sexy he was because I am shy and it's hard for me to give as many compliments as he gives me. So as the years go on he has given me more confidence and every years he is told more and more about how amazing he is. It may take a little time but your hubby will come around. Maybe he has some personal things to work on. Every year gets better and now we compliment each other all the time, I don't feel shy at all and all the time now I tell him how great he looks, or how hard he's working out, or I'll tell him to work out LOL Im the Beauty and he's my Beast lmao He doesn't get it, but giving me self worth is a gift I never though anyone was capable of giving me. He changed my life and leadership, drive and patience has helped me grow into an unstoppable woman Love you Baneboy ;)
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My husband doesn't join me for my workouts, but that doesn't make him unsupportive.
    . Maybe rather than focus on ways your wife doesn't "support" you, you can look for ways she does -- like grocery shopping or cooking or if you have kids, she watches them so you can workout in peace.

Nope... I work from home... I do all shopping, almost every chore, all the cooking, and am the soccer dad. I do workout in peace, as I am home alone during the day.

I would just be happy if she said "nice job" once in awhile.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My husband is pretty supportive! When he's cooking, he'll ask me what I can eat that day (like do I have enough cals for Mac, if not-he doesn't make it), he walks/hikes with me often, doesn't complain about the difference in meals. He's always been the beefy/muscular type that doesn't need to watch his weight at all (he can drink a 2 liter of coke AND half a package of oreos and still look good..ugh). He makes sure I'm eating right (not skipping meals, eating junk, etc), makes sure I workout (but not too much). He tells me I'm beautiful the way I am, but he's more than willing to help me feel better about myself. I'm pretty lucky! My kids are young (6 and almost 9) but they both can tell something's different about me. They want to walk with me, they 'exercise' with me often (calisthenics, hiking, etc)...I really do appreciate them trying to 'help' (even though working out with a 6 year old doesn't burn the most calories LOL..)
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    . Maybe rather than focus on ways your wife doesn't "support" you, you can look for ways she does -- like grocery shopping or cooking or if you have kids, she watches them so you can workout in peace.

Nope... I work from home... I do all shopping, almost every chore, all the cooking, and am the soccer dad. I do workout in peace, as I am home alone during the day.

I would just be happy if she said "nice job" once in awhile.
    Have you talked to her about this? She might not even realize how her not being supportive is affecting you. OR, maybe, if she's not in shape herself, she's feeling self conscious about her body and is maybe a little jealous about your success...either way, I'd talk to her about it...because marriage should be a team, and you deserve to be supported in what you're doing just as she deserves it too...
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Not at all. If I even mention taking steps to eating healthier or working out, I get an eye roll. All people care about is how it affects them. o.0 whateva!
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My husband and kids are normal weight, so I'm the only one who need to diet. But I'm also the one cooking and buying the food, so they have to eat what I cook. And at least my husband do without complaining and my kids mostly do too. My biggest problem wasn't the regular food itself, but portion control, chocolate and other high calorie snacks. So we no longer have a lot of these items in our kitchen.

I do feel supported because my husband helps me get the time I need to exercise and he says he thinks I'm doing great. My kids are also making me motivated, because I see that they're eating better. Instead of cookies and chocolate milk they now eat fresh fruits, smoothies and nuts for snacks. And they love it. They still get some candy in the weekends, but chocolaty stuff are no longer a part of their everyday diet.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yes. My husband and kids are awesome. He always encourages me and tells me I am doing great. He occupies our daughter while I exercise if I need him too. If I miss a workout day he asks me if I feel okay. He doesn't like eating healthy all the time, so I try to change it up and still mix in some of his favorite treats.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Nope, I have asked the neighbor to walk with me, she always makes excuses. My mom is too busy and self-absorbed, so I just work out by myself as well. Most of the family has said nothing about my weight loss except for my mom and grandma. So, oh well, I guess I will just keep on rewarding myself for the effort that they lack.