Getting the most out of theTreadmill

Options
13»

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I would just turn it off and go outside.

Stupidest answer ever.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are great for a couple of reasons firstly some people don't feel comfortable running and are self conscious about how some people see them out in public.
    And in winter you can do a 20 min session before work and 20 min after work easily which is great if you have kids or are time poor.

I started off with walking then upped the incline then started nice and slow at 6km then worked up to longer times and then faster intervals.

I couldn't of dreamed that I could do those cruisy evening runs in summer that I do now but I'm glad I had the treadmill to get me started.

Things to watch if u start running

Good shoes with good support for your gait.
    Take it easy listen to your body specially knees and ankles, rest or take a step back if u are feeling discomfort.

Enjoy it u will be surprised how fast u get into it.

Great! thanks! :) I feel very self conscious when running outside because of how unfit I actually am. Whenever someone looks at me I feel like I am running too slow and then my breathing goes out of whack and I end up walking haha.

When I first started with the treadmill, I was insanely out of shape. I could only do a few minutes a time....and that's where I started. A few months later, I was up to 30 minutes at a time. A few months after that, I increased the incline a bit. Now I do an hour at a time, my speed is double what I started (2.0-4.0) and I recently climbed 6 very steep stories of Mayan ruins in 90+ degree heat.

The great thing about a treadmill is that you have no weather excuses. It's never too hot, too cold, or too wet in the house. You also are ALONE with no one next to you running at 8mph while you huff and puff away at 3mph.

You could also try the Couch to 5K program
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I walk (and only very occasionally run) on mine when it's dark or the weather isn't conducive to an outside run.

No need to complicate it.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    This is how it would be used in my house.

treadmill-with-clothes-300x300.jpg

OP - I would suggest just putting it somewhere where you can have a great tv show to watch, or fantastic music, and just walk or run. If it's too easy, go faster or use the incline. It all counts - go for it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I think its sad how many people are responding just to knock the User and the treadmill. Just because YOU can overcome your self consciousness or whatever it is you need to get past to run or walk outside doesn't mean everyone can. Any movement is better than no movement right? Stop being so judgemental people. If you don't like/use a treadmill, just don't respond to posts about how to use one. I'm new here but I was under the impression that this site was for motivation, not mocking and ridicule.

who is ridiculing?? we're saying that it's in her head. to go outside because it's not as bad as she thinks.

maybe we're all talking from experience?? i know it took my a little bit to get outside and work out. but it was either that or go to the gym. so what did i do?? i started cycling really early in the morning, so i wouldn't be seen by as many people. i started hitting the gym really early so there would be the least amount of people at the gym.

after just a few days, i laughed at myself for how silly i was. how my fear was holding me back, and it wasn't as bad as i thought.

and you know what else i did?? i somehow became one of those early morning exercise people. so if anything, i'm glad i had that fear. it helped me out.