What carbs can I eat without wheat?

Options
loxleys
loxleys Posts: 230 Member
After having a discussion with a colleague about bloating and feeling lethargic most of the time I started an experiment by logging what foods made me feel like, i eat a lot of carbs mainly pasta, potatoes, cous cous and rice etc, after a week the results are showing that its pasta, cous cous and bread that are worst offenders. wine thankfully is ok!

As my main source of carbs are the culprits I'm struggling with what to eat, Does anyone have any ideas? Not sure if I should pay for some tests so I can see if I'm intolerant of a specific food but don't know where to go for this

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Replies

• 365Primal
    365Primal Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You should check out www.marksdailyapple.com
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    rice
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    You can buy gluten free pasta or noodles, muesli bars, rice crackers. Has No I found taste best. I have found eating wheat products give me an asthma attack. There are also rice noodles vermicelli are great with anything. Trident brand are the lowest in calories and carbs.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I have gluten sensitivity. My doctor had me try an elimination diet to identify foods that trigger my problems. As soon as I eliminated wheat products, dairy and eggs, all my digestive problems cleared up within a couple of weeks. The anxiety I had from never knowing when I would be sick is gone, too.

I still eat a ton of carbs because pasta is my favorite food - but I eat delicious alternative pastas made from quinoa, corn, potato, and/or brown rice...there are so many options! Instead of bread for sandwiches, I use white corn tortillas to make wraps. I don't even miss the wheat! I still miss cheese, but I'd rather be healthy and happy so I go without. Good luck!
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You should check out www.marksdailyapple.com

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

No_zpsebe881ea.gif

Fruits, Vegetables, Oats, Rice
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato , yams, cous cous, quinoa
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    sweet potato!!! or look for a recipe for caulilower rice. these options will provide you with more micronutrients than their white/grain versions :smile:

marksdailyapple is ok...a bit extreme though - totally grain-free (something i am dabbling in at the moment) but if you reckon that non-wheat/gluten grains work for you, then rice, quinoa, millet and gf oats are still all good to go!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato , yams, cous cous, quinoa

Cous cous is made of a type of wheat.

To the OP, oats, rice, gram flour (made from chick peas), corn flour (maize), lentils, beans.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    oats,: Oatabix, porridge, quinoa is very gentle on the digestive system!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm coeliac and often eat 300g + carbs daily.

Mainly potato, rice, fruit and chocolate.
  • loxleys
    Options
    I'll check out mikes apple and also look to experiment with different forms of pasta and see if there's any other alternatives in my local shop. I've never tried quinoa but will get some this weekend.
    For years i've suffered with bloating and stomach cramps but just assumed that it was due to over eating but after a week without the culprits my stomach looks flatter and general bloating on my legs is disappearing.
    If its wheat that doesnt agree then i guess i'll have to avoid beer too and stick to wine
  • loxleys
    Options
    I've been reading the primal diet, sounds quite severe but the idea seems quite sensible really. Will read some more and see if I can follow it for the 21 day challenge