with only 45 min, do you lift or cardio?

Options

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Does it has to be either or?

Why don't you lift full-body three days a week for 45 mins and then cardio/conditioning the two days in-between for 30-45 mins.

Best of all possible worlds.

People who say cardio is useless normally do so because they don't like it and this view point backs up their preference. Cardio/conditioning is not useless.

Totally agree about Wendler and conditioning. In 5/3/1 he says he could total elite and not even make it up some stairs. That's not my ideal. Even if you don't do traditional cardio, you should have some sort of conditioning work in your routine to make you well rounded.

ding ding ding!:flowerforyou:

^this is pretty much what I do.(bolded)
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I alternate lifting and cardio days, and rarely go over 45 minutes for either.
    This.

If I have time I lift every day, even after my cardio. If I don't, then it's 3 days cardio & 3 days lifting.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Why don't you lift full-body three days a week for 45 mins and then cardio/conditioning the two days in-between for 30-45 mins.

People who say cardio is useless normally do so because they don't like it and this view point backs up their preference. Cardio/conditioning is not useless.

Totally agree about Wendler and conditioning. In 5/3/1 he says he could total elite and not even make it up some stairs. That's not my ideal. Even if you don't do traditional cardio, you should have some sort of conditioning work in your routine to make you well rounded.

Me too!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

my thoughts exactly. lift one day, cardio the next, or whatever you can stick with :-)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Both. You can run 2 miles and lift pretty well in 45 minutes. Always good to have a mix for overall fitness.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Lift!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

If it had to be either/or, I'd say lift because I like lifting a lot better, but ^this up here* I think is the much better way to go. Crossfit style workouts that blend the two aren't a bad option either. It all depends on your goals/preferences.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Do both ... run with weights; crossfit.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

10/10 explanation by Jimmer.
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

The 2 cardio days conflicts with my 9 O'clock butt scratching so I restrict myself to lifting and do light jogging of 15-20 minutes back and forth from the gym to the home
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    The 2 cardio days conflicts with my 9 O'clock butt scratching so I restrict myself to lifting and do light jogging of 15-20 minutes back and forth from the gym to the home

Lol! Depends on how vigorous that butt scratching is?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm very short on time. I life twice a week. 30min, full body.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Lift with active rests
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options

This is what I do^^
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I would either lift the full 45 or do 35 minutes of Supersets and 10 mins of HIIT on the treadmill or some other type of quick cardio
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I have been running short on time lately and was wondering if it is more beneficial to cardio or lift if I only have 45 minutes to workout? My goal is fat loss and I do both most days but sometimes you just don't have the time to do both, which do I choose?

Ask yourself what do you enjoy? Do you enjoy running? Do you enjoy lifting? Do you enjoy calisthenics?

You can get similar results from all 3 of these workouts. The difference is that the duration you have to dedicate might differ. I currently do stronglifts which is awesome and you only do about 30 minutes of it. In the start when the weights are still low you will be done in about 20 minutes even.

If you're interested in lifting, I'd look into a gym with squat rack and checkout stronglifts.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

^Good group and theres a sticky in there that explains the entire workout. You can youtube mehdi's videos that shows the workouts too!

Cardio only workouts can not be compared to strength training only workouts. Cardio only does not change the bodies composition nor does it build muscle. The results of either are as different as they can be, except that doing either while on a calorie deficit will result in some kind of loss. Possibly some fat loss. Without lifting included in the week's workouts, muscle will eventually be lost too. How much fat or muscle is lost depends greatly on how lean the individual is.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    LIFT!

Cardio burns muscle. Lifting builds muscle. Lean muscle gain increases your BMR. An increased BMR means more calories burned OUTSIDE the gym.

There's a reason marathoners are so thin and lean. Cardio is good for one thing... heart, lungs, blood vessels.

Lifting heavy *kitten* over and over will get your heart pumping and prevent your body from consuming your muscle for energy.

But if you lift, lift with intensity. Don't phone it in and cheat yourself.
    Cardio burns muscle only if you do a marathon every day. Do you?
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Both. Spend 15 minutes with cardio and 30 lifting, or better yet, do interval training. You need cardio to build maximum lung and heart function. Lifting alone won't do that.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I have been running short on time lately and was wondering if it is more beneficial to cardio or lift if I only have 45 minutes to workout? My goal is fat loss and I do both most days but sometimes you just don't have the time to do both, which do I choose?

Ask yourself what do you enjoy? Do you enjoy running? Do you enjoy lifting? Do you enjoy calisthenics?

You can get similar results from all 3 of these workouts. The difference is that the duration you have to dedicate might differ. I currently do stronglifts which is awesome and you only do about 30 minutes of it. In the start when the weights are still low you will be done in about 20 minutes even.

If you're interested in lifting, I'd look into a gym with squat rack and checkout stronglifts.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

^Good group and theres a sticky in there that explains the entire workout. You can youtube mehdi's videos that shows the workouts too!

Cardio only workouts can not be compared to strength training only workouts.
    Why not?

Cardio only does not change the bodies composition nor does it build muscle.

Neither does lifting...

The results of either are as different as they can be, except that doing either while on a calorie deficit will result in some kind of loss. Possibly some fat loss. Without lifting included in the week's workouts, muscle will eventually be lost too.

So the people who've never lifted all their lives have no muscle? Are just made up of fat and bones? How are they even alive!

How much fat or muscle is lost depends greatly on how lean the individual is.
    No I'm pretty sure it depends on the surplus or the deficit of your diet

I could be wrong of course. But when you do prove me wrong, please provide a link to a reliable research