1000 calories workout...amazing video

ntatbeeq
ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
Hi all....recently i came across a workout video by FITNESS BLENDER to burn 1000calories in an hour session.
Though i found it really challenging but with time i think one can get excel in anything.

I strongly recommend all of you to try atleast once (or just have a look at the clip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5COzZlxaI4

Replies

• ntatbeeq
    bump
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    It's not 1000 calories in an hour--the workout is 80 minutes long. And even in 80 minutes, there is no way the woman in that video burned 1000 calories.

And 11 minutes for abs?? Really? I can't imagine anyone ever needing to do 11 minutes of ab work total in a month, much less that much in a single workout.

I watch a workout like this and I am hard pressed to figure out the purpose. You aren't really doing decent cardio and you aren't really doing strength training--and you aren't really burning that many calories. So what are you getting for your 80 minute time investment?
  • ntatbeeq
    but there is a calorie measurement scale at the side of the video which keeps on changing with every activity...so, i am confused if it doesn;t burn 1000cals then why did they mention it???
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    That looks like a decent general workout, but 1000 calories would definitely be the high end of the range there. I noticed on the side bar it had a high and low estimate - I would disregard the high one altogether personally, even being of the body type that is likely to burn a higher end amount!
  • Azdak
    but there is a calorie measurement scale at the side of the video which keeps on changing with every activity...so, i am confused if it doesn;t burn 1000cals then why did they mention it???

To get your attention. Unless they had that woman hooked up to a metabolic cart during the workout, there is absolutely no way to measure intensity--really no way to even make an educated guess. And it wasn't sustained intensity, either. With so many breaks and so many minutes devoted to warm up, stretching, and ab work, I would guess that a woman that size would end up in the 500-700 calorie range for that workout.
  • afugua0002
    afugua0002 Posts: 27
    bump
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    I love FitnessBlender
  • ntatbeeq
    same here.....i love their workouts...they have huge range of workouts for all body types
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    I've done that workout a few times and burned 850-950 calories according to my HRM.
  • ntatbeeq
    I've done that workout a few times and burned 850-950 calories according to my HRM.

So it means this workout really burns 800-100cals??? as some people say this workout don't burn that much?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    I'm always wary about those "1000 cals workouts". It seems the only people who would burn that much are overweight-in really bad shape-beginners.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

So it means this workout really burns 800-100cals??? as some people say this workout don't burn that much?

Not it does not.

FIrst off you can't compare your calorie burns to someone else unless you are the same weight and working at the same intensity.
    Second, HRMs calorie burn estimates are based on steady state cardio which this is not.
  • Azdak
    I'm always wary about those "1000 cals workouts". It seems the only people who would burn that much are overweight-in really bad shape-beginners.

There's a pretty simple reference point to evaluate those claims: a 100 kg individual running @ 6 mph continuously will burn approx 1000 cal in hour of constant effort.

Compare the size of exerciser, the intensity of effort, AND the consistency of the effort to the above reference--it's usually pretty easy to tell.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    this breaks my heart alittle as I love fitness blender vids and use them all the time. I haven't tried that video but I would hope they were honest in the calorie burn because I would then have to question their other vids as well.
  • Azdak
    this breaks my heart alittle as I love fitness blender vids and use them all the time. I haven't tried that video but I would hope they were honest in the calorie burn because I would then have to question their other vids as well.

I looked around the site and there is nothing to suggest that they are deliberately inflating the calorie numbers, but there is nothing on the site or in the backgrounds of the two people running the site to suggest that they have any particular expertise in this area either.

Calculating calories with precision for these types of workouts is virtually impossible. Even if one could accurately calculate the calories burned by the person in the video doing the workout (highly unlikely), it would be very difficult to generalize those numbers to anyone else.

The site says the calorie estimates are based on a 130lb person and 180lb person. To burn 1000 calories for that workout, one would have to average 12.5 cal/min for the entire 80 min. For a 180lb person, that is an *average* intensity of 9 METs. The workout consists of 32 min of HIIT, 11 min for abs, I think there was 6 min for warmup, some stretching at the end and 28 min for strength training.

The ONLY part of that workout that would even come close to hitting a 9 MET intensity would be the cardio portion, and even that is stretching things based on what I saw (esp the less-than -ideal form displayed by the woman in the video). If we assign a generous 5 MET average to the rest of the workout (80 min minus the 32 minutes of HIIT), that would mean that the HIIT portion of the workout for a 180 lb man would have to be done at an AVERAGE intensity equivalent to running a 6:10 per minute mile--meaning the work parts would have to be even higher to compensate for the rest periods.

As you can see, the numbers don't add up--not even close.

Now, that's not to take anything away from the workouts themselves.They are not groundbreaking, but they are 100 times better than any Jillian Michaels workout. It's a nice resource for someone with limited access to a gym or fitness equipment or who doesn't want to shell out the $$ for an infomercial product. .

But, like anything else, you have to know what you are getting out of your time spent.