Question for the Clean Eaters out there

Options
I have been eating clean for 20 days. I had initially planned on doing this as a 30 day challenge, but love the way I feel so I plan to continue. My question is do you always eat clean or do you treat yourself to something un-clean every now and then. I really love how this lifestyle is making me feel, but I don't know if I should treat myself to a meal that is not clean.

Replies

• ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I treat myself to fajitas and ritas every Wednesday night
  • fitwithcurves
    fitwithcurves Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat clean & healthy all throughout the week and indulge maybe once or twice. Kinda like the 80/20 thing!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Gotta have a treat once in a while. I've been having a lot of "treats" lately though. Time to get back on track. Eating good, whole, unprocessed food makes my body and mind feel amazing!
  • angellmoore
    angellmoore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I am looking forward to my cheat meal. I know I shouldn't feel guilty about it, but for some reason I do. :)
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Mainly I am raw vegan, when its cold I'm healthy vegan , the odd social occasion I eat healthy omnivore and a small normal dessert!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I don't have any cravings for cheat meals. Guess it depends on your definition of clean.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend on one's definition...but for me, strict definition would be 100% all whole foods...no processed foods. This would mean no restaurants...nothing in a box or package, etc. I eat relatively clean and eat a lot of nutrient dense whole foods, but it is impractical for me to be 100% "clean". Some of it is just liking certain "treats"...but also, I'm pretty busy and sometimes I just gotta grab what I can grab and call it good...or I'm sick or something and don't feel like preparing an actual meal...kinda like today, I had some pre-made chicken soup because I don't feel good and didn't feel like preparing a meal for myself.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    kinda like today, I had some pre-made chicken soup because I don't feel good and didn't feel like preparing a meal for myself.

I see that as more of a downgrade of necessity than a cheat meal. That happens.

It's just kinda boggling to me that people would want to go with, say, Pizza Hut rather than a pizza with real cheese, fresh tomato sauce, real meats, etc. Or grab a "burger" at McDonalds, as opposed to making an awesome burger.

A price concern is legitimate. Or maybe someone just doesn't want to cook. But desire for the taste is somewhat odd.
  • Dori_Gaga
    Dori_Gaga Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat days or cheat meals, I try to keep all organic stuff in my house so I'm eating clean the majority of the time, but I don't deny myself treats, like today I had ice cream with friends. The way you eat is part of your life, not your whole life, life's too short to never have a treat... If most of your meals are clean you're fine :)
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Options
    I have a smaaaaaaall piece of candy every morning if I have leftovers from something like Easter or Christmas and of course I have dessert on vacations and if I'm offered something delicious, unique and homemade I'll take it, but otherwise that's all... I've been "eating clean" for a while so I don't usually feel the need to "cheat"! :o
  • Lala_White
    Lala_White Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I eat healthy. I have stayed away from the burgers at McDonald's. If I'm going to have a burger, it's one that is home cooked, or I will get one at a "real" restaurant. Even then, I'm only eating half of it at most. I will have "treats" I'm not denying myself anything. It's all in moderation.
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat clean 95% of the time. Went out to dinner with parents the other night and ate a very unclean meal and it seriously affected my stomach... Nausea, heartburn etc. I know this happens to some people, and it deterrs me from eating dirty, but if your body can handle it there's no reason you can't enjoy a dirty meal once in while! I do still eat a few unclean items (ate a piece of Casada cake yesterday) and I did fine, but I don't recommend overdoing the first time!
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just fit it into your macros....... I mainly eat healthy foods, but im still able to fit poptarts, fast food, or ice cream into my diet. It helps keep me sane.
  • angellmoore
    angellmoore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did give in and have a cheat meal. We celebrated my sis in law's b-day at a Japanese Grill. I did feel guilty, and made sure to only eat half (or less) of what they gave me. I felt sick the next morning and got right back on track. It proved to me that eating clean and healthy is what I am supposed to be doing. :)
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat meals, but rather just eat as clean as possible. I still go out or enjoy meals as friends houses. Though, even then I make the healthiest choices possible. I would guess I'm generally following the 80/20 rule.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Its all about balance!! I just started eating better but I like the results so far.

Still have a little long way to go!!!
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I started eating clean the first week of March as part of a goal setting 10-week class I attened and I feel great! I eat clean 90% of the time leaving myself a little wiggle room when we have parties, wedding etc to attend. I can tell a huge difference when I do not eat clean my body does not like it, so I really try to pack a cooler to take with me when I am going to be away from home. It has made a huge difference in how I feel and look.
  • sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I eat clean 90% of the time which over 3 meal per day over a week is 2 meals that are treats, for me the biggest change I made to accepts these less clean meals is to stop calling them cheat meals. Sounds quite bad for something that is ok to do, renaming them treats helped me physiologically :happy:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You have to live to. I kinda had a crazy week, eating more crap then normal and i can feel the difference. It really does make you feel great. However.. having something not considered clean isn't going to kill you. I actuall find then when I occasionally overeat I drop a bunch of weight the next week. Funny how that works. But if I did it everyday i'l gain. I'm getting back on track this week with the good healthy clean eating. My whole world kinda blew up last week. Hard to eat well when everything hits the fan. LOL. ANyway the point is.. if you're going out with the girls, sure have the nacho supreme and split it.. I dont' usually even want that stuff anymore. I didn't this week either.. but i ate it. *i feel gross today mind you sigh*