The dreaded "baby pooch"

Options
So I've started running into a problem since i've lost 50 lbs....I've noticed that my lower stomach area or "pooch" as some call it, looks a whole lot worse than it did before because it seems everything is drooping. I love my weight loss but am SUPER self conscious about that area. Anyone have any ideas for me? will it always be like that? Are there specific exercises i can do to tighten it? I lift weights in hopes of toning and do the sit up machine at 40lbs, what else can i do?? Thanks for all your help!!!

Replies

• operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about it too :( I read online that only fix is a tummy tuck after your done loosing the weight :/ Sometimes the skin just doesn't recover after the baby :(
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Just keep doing what you're doing. It gets better.
    I've had that pooch for 14 years!!! But since I've lost weight it has gotten smaller and smaller.
    Unfortunately we can't target the area to lose weight in. I am a true believer in Cardio. Sit up's aren't always the best thing to do.
    They help the muscle under neath the fat but doesnt do anything on top.
  • operation_cute
    Options
    I'm worried about it too :( I read online that only fix is a tummy tuck after your done loosing the weight :/ Sometimes the skin just doesn't recover after the baby :(

Here are some exercises worth trying though :)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/143665-exercises-tighten-loose-belly-skin/
  • minijag06
    minijag06 Posts: 70
    Options
    I just wrote a topic for the same reason but my "baby" is 14! I've lost 34 lbs - and a lot of my flab on my stomach is gone but turning sideways - it's still gross! There's got to be a way to lose the fat and tighten that area. Surgery will not be an option. I'm looking for a good ab workout and of course - good ole cardio. I'm thinking that jogging would help because when I jog, my abs tighten. What do you think?
  • mjoshua87
    mjoshua87 Posts: 50
    Options
    So I've started running into a problem since i've lost 50 lbs....I've noticed that my lower stomach area or "pooch" as some call it, looks a whole lot worse than it did before because it seems everything is drooping. I love my weight loss but am SUPER self conscious about that area. Anyone have any ideas for me? will it always be like that? Are there specific exercises i can do to tighten it? I lift weights in hopes of toning and do the sit up machine at 40lbs, what else can i do?? Thanks for all your help!!!

^^^ Also wondering this too.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I just wrote a topic for the same reason but my "baby" is 14! I've lost 34 lbs - and a lot of my flab on my stomach is gone but turning sideways - it's still gross! There's got to be a way to lose the fat and tighten that area. Surgery will not be an option. I'm looking for a good ab workout and of course - good ole cardio. I'm thinking that jogging would help because when I jog, my abs tighten. What do you think?

Jogging is good!!! So is the Eliptical with resistance.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Fighting this as well. I'm down to my target weight but seem to still have a little extra flab around the middle. I'm 5'8" and 125 so I don't think it's a weight loss issue. I'm just going to keep up with the cardio and fat burning workout. Thank God for spanx!
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yoga will help tone your core, give you better posture and more length and help you drop those last few pounds. Give it a try!
  • BridalRenee
    Options
    After three children and weight loss I haven't figured out how to lose this either. I think I have the baby pooch to end all baby pooches. Even at my most fit and skinnest it got worse not better. My stomach skin is loose and wrinkley and yucky. I have done research and a tummy tuck seems like it's the only answer.... or a high waist retro look bikini. I would love to see pictures or know of someone who actually erased this pooch completey. I understand that stretch marks are an entirely different animal but the pooch, I doubt ever goes....how can you make loose stretched out skin taught?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Cardio is not going to help you with that. Lift HEAVY! Like really heavy!
  • operation_cute
    Options
    After three children and weight loss I haven't figured out how to lose this either. I think I have the baby pooch to end all baby pooches. Even at my most fit and skinnest it got worse not better. My stomach skin is loose and wrinkley and yucky. I have done research and a tummy tuck seems like it's the only answer.... or a high waist retro look bikini. I would love to see pictures or know of someone who actually erased this pooch completey. I understand that stretch marks are an entirely different animal but the pooch, I doubt ever goes....how can you make loose stretched out skin taught?

I read the same thing... I think when people hear "pooch" they think were talking about the fat little area below the belly button... but its just skin, how does lifting hard or working out harder take away skin that's permately stretched :( I'm really expecting to have to used my tax return one year for a tummy tuck after I loose weight :(
  • ProudMotherof4ProudWife2007
    Options
    I'll have to find my pics and re post. mine got smaller with doing reverse sit ups and bicycle crunches
  • mamiarellano
    mamiarellano Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Beachbody's Hip Hop Abs levels 1 and 2 and so far it seems to be helping, IMO. It's a gradual thing. Don't know about dramatic weight loss since I'm still at the start of my journey, but I've seen improvement with the pooch. It's gone from sticking out to staying on the inside of my pant waist. Hope you find something that works for you. G'luck!
  • BridalRenee
    Options
    yes, the "pooch" I mean is the loose bag of wrinkley skin, not a stick out stomach. I have had both, but as far as my weight loss goes, the more I lose the worse my "baby pooch" gets. It actually became a huge dissapointment to me two years ago when I lost a ton of weight and was fit. I would be great with my clothes on, or stomach covered, but clothes off, it was just so sad. I HATE the baby pooch.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It takes time for the skin to shrink back. I'm 50 yrs. old, had 4 C-sections in 5 years over 20 yrs. ago, lost 60 lbs. and over the last 2 years my skin has gradually taken back it's shape. Keep exercising the abdominals, eat healthy foods and give it time.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I have "the pooch" and I've never been pregnant before... How sad is that?! :grumble:

I've been working hard at minimizing this bad boy since I'm more embarrassed to have it than I would be if I had a baby to show for it... I've found that these few things help a lot!!
    Use lotion on the skin, one that has plenty of Vitamin E in it, after showering. Healthy skin will heal and "bounce back" faster than unhealthy, vitamin deprived skin.
    Eat a healthy amount of Vitamin E, or take a supplement, but try to eat your vitamins (foods heavy with E are Sunflower Seeds, Paprika and Red Chili Powder, Almonds, Pine Nuts, Peanuts, Dried Basil And Oregano, Dried Apricots, Pickled Green Olives, Cooked Spinach, and Cooked Taro Root just to name a few!)
    Cardio and strength training... I highly recommend the elliptical! Doing sit ups, crunches, planks, these are all great for toning the muscle under there... You aren't trying to lose FAT there because it's the SKIN that's the problem!! :bigsmile:
  • Annerk1
    Options

I read the same thing... I think when people hear "pooch" they think were talking about the fat little area below the belly button... but its just skin, how does lifting hard or working out harder take away skin that's permately stretched :( I'm really expecting to have to used my tax return one year for a tummy tuck after I loose weight :(

Try a face cream meant to tighten. It didn't take care of 100% of my pooch, but it helped about 50%. Yoga to tone my abs took care of the rest.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    My "baby" is 21 and I still have mine. But I assumed it was only a c-section thing. Does this happen to mothers who deliver normally as well?
  • Annerk1
    Options
    My "baby" is 21 and I still have mine. But I assumed it was only a c-section thing. Does this happen to mothers who deliver normally as well?

Yes. It's everything from genetics to how you carried the baby.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I still have a small amount of of loose skin around my bikini line but it keeps getting better. I've also lost 50 lbs and had a baby. Work on your bf% percentage and strength training. Especially core work.