working

Options
bf1110
bf1110 Posts: 72 Member
Ok so I just started a new job. Which I work 6-8 hours. On my feet the whole time. I work at subway, Im curious.Part of me wants to try and track the calories I burn there but part of me says that work you shouldnt count it. You should just exercise on tp of that and count that as your exercise. What does everyone else think? some advice would be helpful

Replies

• Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    When you set up MFP you account for how active you are during the day. You therefore wouldn't count calories burned as that's already equated into your daily calorie count. Subway isn't an active job btw.
  • MinnieLou92
    MinnieLou92 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think it's a bit of a cop out to track like, "Standing, 45 mins" or "General office duties"- you get the gist! You should make time to exercise on top of it, and then even if you are burning of calories in your every day life you will be doubly surprised with the extra work as all the fat will come off lovely :)
  • xaMErica
    xaMErica Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I work in retail.. and my last job I would be up on my feet for 8 hours a day as well. Some days I only worked 4 hours (on my feet the whole time).. It depends for me. My activity lever was set to 'Sedentary'.. so I was on like 1200 calories a day at the time.. so I would track maybe half.. or a quarter of the time I was moving around as walking. Now.. I eat more and I also just started a new job, I am currently on a register so there isn't much actual walking around for me.

I made sure every Wednesday (our truck day, I worked 8 hours) I would track 4 hours worth of walking. I used this as my 'treat' day because I'd be lifting 20-40 lb boxes and putting out freight. I got all sticky and gross so I thought it counted =p

I guess my simple answer is it would be easier to just change your activity level =)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Just change your daily activity level to either lightly active or active. That will add in some extra calories. No need to be logging work as exercise unless for some reason you do something that you don't do everyday.
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You should account for it - your body doesn't know that being on your feet so much is for your job and you're getting paid. It just knows you're on your feet. I think the best way to factor it in is to bump up your activity level.