Interesting study about calories burned - whole/processed

Options
Ed98043
Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
http://www.foodandnutritionresearch.net/index.php/fnr/article/viewArticle/5144/5755

Put simply, this study found that people burned the calories of processed foods at nearly half the rate that they burned the calories of whole foods. Both groups reported feeling just as full because they all ate cheese sandwiches - one group ate white bread with processed cheese product, the other ate multi-grain bread with cheddar.

I admit it's a limited study, but still could have major implications regarding weight loss. So maybe not all calories are created equal after all?

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that there was no difference in satiety.

Why is the rate of burning the calories important?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    saving for later. :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    These studies are always conducted on non-exercising populations.
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options

Right? They are always on menopausal woman or obese people. We need studies on healthy women more than men though, at my university they were always on young males that barely exercised.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    who ever said calories were created equal???:)
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    nutrients is what counts calories can be just fillers..your Health wants Nutrients!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Isn't multigrain bread still considered processed?
  • whitecapwendy
    whitecapwendy Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    plan to follow this
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • rori_74
    rori_74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

that has nothing to do with satiey coverage.

but for the study OP posted. it isnt very direct with the type of macronutrient consumption.
    even full isocaloric states are not fully isocaloric due to TEF(protein and fiber mainly)

I am very pro IIFYM(and micronutrients) but we all know you cannot live by drinking whey, eating corn starch, and oil and a multi...

in 1992 there was a study called the satiety index of common foods. They evaluated what foods would provide longer satisfaction to go without eating. The higher fiber, water content, and less processed the food was, the higher the rating.

I love my sweets, processed foods, but I balance it out with non processed on a cut.
    Casein, meat, fruits with skin(apple, kiwi, grapes), oranges, eggs, cheese, potatos are very satisfying foods.

This may be why the "old world bodybuilding" foods were very useful to consume. There was truth behind it but the bodybuilders of that time didnt know why.
    satiety-index.png
  • bornleader79
    bornleader79 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    BS......I exercise every day....I eat what i want just small portions. I lose weight everyday. I can make a cheeseburger w/a english muffin for lunch and have a chicken biscuit for breakfast....wake up in the morning ..weigh myself and lose a pound. Yet...yesterday I had tilapia with mrs dash and a small green salad. ...fruit for breakfast (2cups) and exercised like i do everyday and did not lose anything when I woke up this morning. So I don't believe in the food politics crap at all. I eat what i want ,,,,, within my calories. If its a slice pizza or protein shake...as long as I'm in a caloric deficit! Thats all that matters
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    nutrients is what counts calories can be just fillers..your Health wants Nutrients!

I'm totally with you, that's ALL I even look at, I don't use supplements. Which is why I often use nutritiondata instead of mfp to list food, they don't have a phone app yet though. :(
  • bornleader79
    bornleader79 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely doing Intermittent fasting helps a lot!!! I love it!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    BS......I exercise every day....I eat what i want just small portions. I lose weight everyday. I can make a cheeseburger w/a english muffin for lunch and have a chicken biscuit for breakfast....wake up in the morning ..weigh myself and lose a pound. Yet...yesterday I had tilapia with mrs dash and a small green salad. ...fruit for breakfast (2cups) and exercised like i do everyday and did not lose anything when I woke up this morning. So I don't believe in the food politics crap at all. I eat what i want ,,,,, within my calories. If its a slice pizza or protein shake...as long as I'm in a caloric deficit! Thats all that matters

But I think the point was "eating blindly"
    Before the average person understood calories we werent overweight. They would follow off of satiety.
  • 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So maybe not all calories are created equal after all?

This again? Calorie is an energie measurement. The Studie is about the human body dealing with different foods.

Which cheese you prefer will not change the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

So a calorie will always stay a calorie.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Not bad as a preliminary study. But it was a VERY small sample size (n=18, and then 1 was eliminated). There was a "statistically significant" difference, but it still wasn't a huge difference, and it only lasted 4-6 hours (it would be nice to see, in a future study, how much WF vs PF affects this length of increase in metabolic rate). And a bit of math shows that, for someone with an 1800 cal BMR it really consist of a difference of 120-180 kcal difference (depending if 4 or 6 hours). So if you're really close to maintenance cal, it could be a deal breaker, but not so much if you're eating at 500+ deficit or exercising. On the other hand, if all you eat is processed foods, compound that by each meal, and it could become a bit problematic.

The article itself states that, because of the limited scope of the study, it is not generalizable to all foods, processed or whole, at this point. It also clearly states a possible conflict of interest due to funding sources.

ETA: there was also a small difference in composition of food (carb/fat/protein). They claimed it was "similar" but I wonder how much that affects the results (40% carbs vs 50% carbs, and such)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Shhh, don't destroy them with your logic.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    So maybe not all calories are created equal after all?

This again? Calorie is an energie measurement. The Studie is about the human body dealing with different foods.

Which ceese you prefer will not change the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius.

So a calorie will always stay a calorie.

Some foods have a higher energy rating (glycemic index) that others. Also, that amount of calories one actually uses from any given food substance has to be considered by what the person's microbacteria profile looks like. Gut flora is being researched as having quite a large role in whether a person becomes obese. Michael Phelps consumed 12k+ calories a day while training. At his height and weight there is no way he could have just "burned" that number of calories.

With the calories in/ calories out model, he should be freaking obese. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2177613/Michael-Phelps-12-000-calories-day-dont-doing-harm.html
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Shhh, don't destroy them with your logic.

No logic here, this is MFP :wink: