My bananas are VERY ripe!

Options
Squidgeypaws007
Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
Hi all,

I have a few very very VERY ripe bananas in my fridge at the moment. I was going to make banana bread with them, but does anyone have any other yummy recipes I could try out with them?

Happy Saturday all!! :bigsmile:

Replies

• Katerbels
    Katerbels Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cut a few into slices or chunks and freeze them. Once they're frozen solid, you can put them in your food processor for a creamy frozen treat :). I add a little peanut butter and it's like soft serve ice cream...MMM.
    Also, you probably shouldn't store bananas in the fridge. I forget the exact scientific reason for this, but they're stored best on your counter or hanging from one of those hanger things.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love Funky Monkey Smoothies. Lots of recipes out there, but I like to use 1/2 a banana, 1 Tbsp coco powder, 1 Tbsp almond butter, 1 Tbsp agave nectar and almond milk -about a cup or enough to make it all blend nicely.

When the bananas are started to get brown speckles, I pop them out of their skins and into a zip lock freezer bag, then I always have some on hand.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Banana french toast, milkshakes, cookies

and my favorite... Banana foster !
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    when they are like this and I wont get to them soon, I freeze them and then use them later for shakes. some people make something mushy from the frozen thing and call it "ice cream" there are threads on this. use the "search" feature in the "recipes" topic to find them.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys!! I'd heard that about storing them in the fridge, but they're so ripe I thought it might stop them going SO bad!!

Creamy banana ice cream sounds lovely :D
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    http://jumboempanadas.blogspot.com/2007/11/easy-like-sunday-morning.html

These are really good, banana oatmeal waffles.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Cut a few into slices or chunks and freeze them.

This! You can use those chunks later in baked goods, smoothies, etc. The other day I cut a few chunks up really small and mixed them in with plain yogurt while still frozen - it added a ton of creamy/chilly sweetness, very yum!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I have one of those snow cone makers that grind up ice cubes, and when my bananas get too ripe to enjoy fresh, I grind up some ice and throw it in the blender with a ripe banana, a spoonful of peanut butter and enough milk to make it thin enough to drink. It ends up being a very healthy and yummy banana milkshake.
  • justinegrey
    justinegrey Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I usually double this raw cookie recipe with mushy bananas:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/25/how-to-squash-a-chocolate-craving-in-80-calories/
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My bananas are VERY ripe!
    I bet they are :wink:

Oh wait what are we talking about? :huh:
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Cut them up freeze them, then put them in the food processor and make banana "ice cream" out of it.

I'd love it, if I actually liked bananas... so I just make it for others.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i just read yesterday if you wrap tin foil around the endings they stay fresh for longer. But very ripe bananas are yum in smoothies
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I make a simple banana milkshake. 1 banana, teaspoon of honey and some milk. Yum yum.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    freeze them then blend it up for a tasty frozen treat! add chocolate chips, milk if you want to blend it to make it more creamy, pb. tastyness

or mix them with oats and chocolate chips and make chewy cookie like things. not exactly like cookies i love them for breakfast though
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    I usually double this raw cookie recipe with mushy bananas:

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/05/25/how-to-squash-a-chocolate-craving-in-80-calories/

LOL!! :noway: :bigsmile:
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Thanks for the links and recipes all!! They're almost too ripe now to put into a smoothie, but I'll remember the tips about freezing for next time! They seem to ripen faster than I'm able to eat through them and I inevitably buy too many, lol. Those oatcakes sound nice...

Oh, thanks for the tip about wrapping tinfoil around the ends!!
  • tschaff04
    tschaff04 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Slice lengthwise, but not all the way through. Split enough to sprinkle a few chocolate chips and mini marshmallows in it. Wrap in foil and put in the oven until it gets warm and gooey. Mmmm, such a decadent rich treat.