i hate pushups!

Options
How do you get to do proper pushups on knees.. i can get barely get 2 complete on knees. :(

Replies

• graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    If you hate them, you probably need to do them. LOL! That's usually the case! :-) It just takes practice. You do two. Then you grit your teeth the next day and do three...and so on and so on. Do you mean on your toes? What other option is there before knees?
  • slimtoneneetz
    slimtoneneetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    lol!! ya i need to push myself.. i feel my arms will collapse lifting myself even if i m half way down..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    People usually hate exercises that they don't do well. Most people have a tendency to look at the floor when doing them. I have all my clients look straight ahead so they can get lower and focus better. You get better at them the more you do them just like anything else.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If you can only do 2, then do 2...then try to do 3...then next time try to do 4. That's how you do them and that's how you make progress....little by little. Before you know it, you'll be doing true military pushups no problem. Also, you may want to consider incline pushups or even vertical wall pushes until you can get horizontal.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Same as everything else. You keep doing it until it feels easy, then you add more. Repeat.

If you do 2x push up every single day, rain or shine, I can't believe that you can't do 3X the next week.
  • slimtoneneetz
    Options
    thanks sooo much for the link :)
  • slimtoneneetz
    Options
    Yes i will do daily from today.. i m gonna take it as a challenge :)
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Doing elevated push ups with your hands on a bench and feet on the floor will help you get to full push ups better than knee push ups. They will be really hard when you first start, but you'll get better at it. Good luck, and keep up the good work!
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was the same at the beginning...Could barely 2 push ups on my knees...Now I do 15 normal ones without stopping...You will get there, just practice, practice, practice! xx
  • natasa26ca
    natasa26ca Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    thanks sooo much for the link :)

No problem. :)

Keep doing it and it will get easier.
    First time i started i only did 4 or 5 now i easily do 3 reps of 12 twice a week when i do my strength training.
  • KirstenMarie18
    KirstenMarie18 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hated them at first too but now I LOVE them! I can still only do "girl" push ups on my knees but they are getting much easier to do and it makes me feel accomplished that I can do them!
  • BreytonJay
    BreytonJay Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    do you have a workout partner? ever tried using a belt? the partner holds the ends of a belt wrapped around your stomach and helps take some of the weight off of you and you tell them how much pull to use. we use it in the army to help with proper form :)
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    Everyone hates push-ups! Being in the military, I had to learn to do them when I couldn't even do ONE. I started doing chest flys and knee push-ups (about five was as far as I could get... haha) and after I could do about 25-30 knee push-ups, I found out I could do a couple "real" push-ups. Soon I could do five, then ten, then fifteen. Now I can do 35 in a minute. You just have to keep your arm muscles pushing themselves.
  • Esmerayne
    Esmerayne Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Push ups get really hard for me after a couple. I just remember, "BREATHE!". Sometimes, I like to pretend I'm an airbender and push myself up with my exhales haha! It helps, I swear!
  • pdiddy02
    pdiddy02 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I started, I never could do a push up, but slowly and gradually I worked on it. In Insanity, there are a lot of push ups, which was hard for me, coz they are on toes, but I can feel I m learning how to do it slowly.... I do it because I know how great it works for your shoulders, chest and biceps! So, start slow, and keep doing them very alternate day!

Love,
    Pdiddy
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't mind push ups so much...its the darn pull ups that I can't do to save my life! :grumble:
  • slimtoneneetz
    Options
    Thanks guys!!