What do I do when nothing works?

Options

Replies

• Bambers14
    Bambers14 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It's not important to stay under their numbers. I went over on everything almost every day until I customized my macros. How often do you weight train? Do you do too much steady-state cardio? At 189lbs you should be eating about 189g of protein every day. Your carbs and fats will depend on your exercise level and will need to change depending on your workouts. I agree with your nutritionist that 1200 is too low if you are exercising.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of numbers between 1200 and 1800. It seems like 1800 is too many for weight loss for you. I would eat 1800 cals. if I wanted to weight 180 lbs. (rule of thumb).

bump! ive heard this before.. my sisters boyfriend said that.. like if you wanted to weigh 150 then you eat 1500 cals a day...160 then 1600 cals a day etc.. kinda cool
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    The only thing I consistently go over on in MFP are sugars, and that's usually because there's two sugars here and one there, and then I have an apple or banana and it puts me way over. (MFP gives me 24/day)

So I'll ask this question while I'm here: how important is it to stay under all the categories MPF gives you?

I find the sugars category to be irrelevant at best, since it doesn't differentiate fruit sugars. If you're getting sugar from fruit, it's just not worth paying attention to.

Protein intake is important, and calories are very important.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I thought this was me til I noticed I had dropped 4 dress sizes :) Just take a body fat test ( forget what its called) a doctor can do it for you
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and 189 lbs. Not too extreme, but overweight enough that I am uncomfortable in my skin.

MFP originally gave me 1200, but I was exercising really rigorously (2 hours of cardio and weight lifting 3x weekly) that my nutritionist thought that would put me in starvation mode so she raised it to 1800. I was on 1200 for 4 months and lost nothing.
    I have been doing P90X for the past 2 weeks and nothing has happened.

I am very honest about what I put on MFP. I do my best not to over or underestimate calories I eat or calories I burn.

Had my thyroid checked. Medically, everything is normal.

Without wanting to come across as rude, if you have no medical problems and you are eating at a deficit then you are defying nature?

Any body without a medical problem that eats a deficit of calories and exercises also would lose weight.

Take my answer as you please.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of numbers between 1200 and 1800. It seems like 1800 is too many for weight loss for you. I would eat 1800 cals. if I wanted to weight 180 lbs. (rule of thumb).

I eat 1800-2000 daily, and I lost 1.4lb last month. I weigh 142lb, not 180lb.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and 189 lbs. Not too extreme, but overweight enough that I am uncomfortable in my skin.

MFP originally gave me 1200, but I was exercising really rigorously (2 hours of cardio and weight lifting 3x weekly) that my nutritionist thought that would put me in starvation mode so she raised it to 1800. I was on 1200 for 4 months and lost nothing.
    I have been doing P90X for the past 2 weeks and nothing has happened.

I am very honest about what I put on MFP. I do my best not to over or underestimate calories I eat or calories I burn.

Had my thyroid checked. Medically, everything is normal.
    I'm not an expert but I have lost and gained about 75+ lbs at least twice and am on my 3rd try at it. So far, each time I've lost has been different. The first time, I didn't track anything and just worked out...I was younger then. The 2nd time, I actually had to eat back all my burned calories to lose weight..weird, but that's what worked. This time, I've found that I need to stay around 1400 calories and work out about an hour 5 times a week or nothing moves. You may have to try different options and see what works for you.

First, try the plan as MFP intended. That means eating your daily goal and most or all of your exercise calories back. For some people, they need that extra boost to lose.

Give it a couple weeks and if that doesn't work, try to eat only to goal and don't eat back any exercise calories.

Lastly, if neither of these 2 options work, take the middle road.

It may take some time to find out what works for you...and it may not always work...so mix things up. Eat different foods, vary your calorie intake from one day to another and always keep your exercise varied. If you always do the same things your body will get used to it and think you are just trying to "maintain".

Based on your height and weight, sounds like you don't have much to lose so it's going to be harder for you to do. I'd definitely think 1800 is too much per day if you want to lose. Good luck!
  • LexiMann
    LexiMann Posts: 4
    Options
    I was having trouble losing weight as well I tried everything. No medical condition is present but I was always so tired and if I didn't eat a lot of calories I felt like I was starving so my Gyno actually put me on the Generic form of Adipex. Which helps boost your energy and metabolism while supressing appetite. I am on day two and have found that I am not hungry as often and get full faster. Maybe you could talk to your Dr. to see about him putting you on it. You should go back monthly for a weight check and to see if your blood pressure is rising that is one of the side effects.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    - Weigh what you eat. What I thought was 100g oven chips/fries, was more like 250g.

- If you can afford it, get a HRM/Fitbit/some kind of calorie counter for exercise - MFP is way out with me. For example, an hours walk for me is up to 400 calories burnt. MFP suggests about 280.

- Try a few different calorie goals. Work out your BMR and set you goal just above that, then try eating exercise calories. I like my weekly net calories to be around my BMR.

- Measure. I weigh and measure once a month, and whilst I have lost 12lb, I have lost 23 inches. I am 1-2 dress sizes smaller.

- It's not a race. I upped my calories from 1500-1600 to 1800-2000 and maintained my weight for two months, then lost.

- Do weights - maintain your lean body mass whilst you lose weight.

Unless you have a medical condition, you clearly aren't doing something right.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I did.

I went to the doctor. Turned out for the last 8ish years that I've been trying to lose weight, doing everything right, working out taking gym classes, yoga classes and weight training, I've slowly becoming more and more insulin resistant.

So much so that I am now a T2 diabetic. Only found out when I went to the doctor for a sharp pain in my upper abdomen and part of the routine labs included a BG.

I'm 44 years old. I can tell you the last time I was able to lose weight was the first time I was on WW 8 years or so ago. Probably because in cutting calories, I inadvertently cut carbs & was able to lose. However the weight loss stalled & when I went back to WW, I could'nt for the life of me figure out why it would'nt work.

I was on 1200 cal, 1400 cal, bought a fitbit, started 5x5 stronglifts, calculated my TDEE, calculated again, then re-calculated, consulted MFP'ers and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening.

I bought into the whole 'you aren't a special snowflake', you are not weighing your food properly, you're not challenging your body enough, you're challenging your body too much, you're miscalculating, you're eyeballing portion sizes, create a deficit & you WILL lose weight, it's the law, you can't fail if you create a deficit, so you must be 'off' somewhere.

Because of my insulin resistance/T2D (as I understand it, right now this is all new to me) there was no way in hell I would be able to lose weight until my blood sugar is within somewhat normal limits.

If you're doing everything right, but not seeing results, carry lots of weight around your middle, have anyone in the family with diabetes or IR, see a doctor, read up on Insulin Impairment, Insulin Resistance etc.

Don't care to see a doctor yet?...do a simple 7 day experiment.
    Cut from your diet all bread, potatoes, and rice.
    Just those three things per se, continue with fresh veggies, fruits etc & don't eat any low fat/no fat, just keep within caloric requirements & see if that works. If so, continue with your research along the lines of processed carbs, insulin resistance etc.

As for me....I wish I'd sought help earlier. I have surpassed the point of no return into T2 territory & I'm only 44 years old but as I said before, the warning signs were there since my late 30's.

Good luck friend :drinker:
  • SStruthers13
    SStruthers13 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I did the calculations for you.

female, 187, 5 ft 7 in and said you want to lose 1 lb a week with a goal weight of 150. I also punched in you work out 3 x a week for 60 minutes. It said you need to eat 1600 calories to lose 1 lb a week.

If you log correctly your going to lose weight.
  • lyss1200
    lyss1200 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    " I eat 1800 calories a day (tried 1200, but that was putting me into starvation mode according to my nutritionist)"

unless you are very overweight, 1800 cals will be too much. I would put on weight if I were eating 1800 per day too. If I've eaten 1800 cal in a day it means I've binged! Also, don't kid yourself by thinking that just because they're "healthy" calories they don't count. You need to accumulate a calorie deficit of 3500 to lose one pound, if you are not accumulating a calorie deficit you will not lose weight. It's actually very simple.

I would suggest either:
    a) ignore your nutritionist- go back to 1200 as your limit, just make sure that the 1200 calories are nutrient-dense i.e. lots of protein, fibre and small amts of good fats; or
    b) if you don't want to ignore your nutritionist just set your daily calorie limit a little bit higher e.g. 1400 per day and again make sure nutrient-dense.

Also suggest spacing your food intake out throughout the day e.g. have 3 meals of around 300 cal each, 2 snacks of 150 cal, leave 3-4 hours between eating. This should stop your body from going into "starvation mode" (since you will be feeding it regularly) and also should help limit cravings (if that is a problem for you).
  • herhighnessvictoria
    Options
    To everyone who is saying that 1800 is too much: thanks for the input but I have already tried 1200. For 4 months. I did not lose any weight. My clothes did not fit any better.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    1) weigh and measure absolutely everything you eat.
    2) get a good amount of protein. Aim for 1g/lb. lbm. Or at least 100 grams a day.
    3) watch to make sure you're getting your micronutrients
    4) eat enough fats
    5) have another doctor check your thyroid, check for other medical conditions as well.
    6) cut back on the cardio. You don't need that much.
    7) if nothing else works, then try a mild form of intermittent fasting and skip breakfast. Consume your calories between 10 am and 8 pm. When I stalled, this worked well for me to get me going. My husband also tested it and it helped him break his plateau. And if you do cardio, do it before you eat. (It's pure bro-science, but it worked for me).
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    " I eat 1800 calories a day (tried 1200, but that was putting me into starvation mode according to my nutritionist)"

unless you are very overweight, 1800 cals will be too much. I would put on weight if I were eating 1800 per day too. If I've eaten 1800 cal in a day it means I've binged! Also, don't kid yourself by thinking that just because they're "healthy" calories they don't count. You need to accumulate a calorie deficit of 3500 to lose one pound, if you are not accumulating a calorie deficit you will not lose weight. It's actually very simple.

Unless you are super short and super light and do nothing all day, you will be hard pressed to gain on 1800 cals. Like I (and a lot of others) have already posted, lots of people (including short, fairly light people like myself) lose weight easily on 1800 cals.
  • Chickyjd
    Chickyjd Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1800 is too much at all, I'm currently eating 1850 cals per day. I have quite an active job and use the treadmill 3/4 hours per week and am losing.

I am using TDEE method - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12/
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u havent mentioned how much u weigh- that would be helpful maybe
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    exercising three days a week is one-
    i do cardio and crunches 7 days a week for 30 - 70 minutes
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

bump! ive heard this before.. my sisters boyfriend said that.. like if you wanted to weigh 150 then you eat 1500 cals a day...160 then 1600 cals a day etc.. kinda cool

you may have heard it before, but it's utter BS
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    To everyone who is saying that 1800 is too much: thanks for the input but I have already tried 1200. For 4 months. I did not lose any weight. My clothes did not fit any better.

There is a wide range between the two for you to choose from, it's not either or. Maybe try lowering your calorie intake by 100 and see if that helps. If that doesn't help after several weeks lower it down another 100.

And I agree with those asking if you are weighing and measuring your food. If you aren't it might be a good idea to start doing so.