Car washing - How many calories do you burn

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthyMakeover
    HealthyMakeover Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I log non-workout things as exercise, too, but I don't go overboard with it.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with logging washing a car.
    If you were trying to calculate how many calories you burn while brushing teeth, or walking from one room to another, then I think that is a different story.
    Washing a car really does get your heart pounding, so why not count that? It would probably be the same as walking or going on a light jog.

When I ride my horse, I feel myself working muscles and my heart get's going. I log that as exercise. I log it when I go shopping for hours on end. I mean, I'm walking, right? And I also log light house cleaning, but I ALWAYS underestimate the calories it tells me that I burn. Everybody has a different house, everybody does different chores.

But overall, I really see nothing wrong with it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't log things I normally did while I was fat. I cleaned the house for hours and washed the car without ever getting in shape. That's part of what I view as my regular activity level. I am sedentary during the week (desk job) but weekends are active with cleaning, so I set my activity level to light.

You ate when you were fat so you should not log eating.

Excuse me. I don't log ACTIVITIES I did while I was fat. Not sure why you elected to attack that when I took the time to explain that it's more about weekly activity level.

By all means if you want to log you burned 300 calories washing the car for an hour feel free to do it. I simply explained how I have elected to do things.

ETA: You're also talking about the opposite end of the calorie equation. I didn't suddenly burn more calories cleaning when I decided to get in shape. We are simply more aware of our activity level.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I don't log things I normally did while I was fat. I cleaned the house for hours and washed the car without ever getting in shape. That's part of what I view as my regular activity level. I am sedentary during the week (desk job) but weekends are active with cleaning, so I set my activity level to light.

Some people consider their daily steps tracked on fitbit exercise - sorry I would have made those daily steps anyway it's not included in my exercise.

I walked when I was fat, I still walk now... I log it. I never did walk a marathon each day though, but I still walk. Anything not sitting down is exercise..... you don't have to log it...but walking is considered exercise. I would normally have walked to work... does not mean it's not exercise.

Oh for cryin' out loud.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    quite an impressive resurrection of this thread
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Excuse me. I don't log ACTIVITIES I did while I was fat. Not sure why you elected to attack that when I took the time to explain that it's more about weekly activity level.

By all means if you want to log you burned 300 calories washing the car for an hour feel free to do it. I simply explained how I have elected to do things.

ETA: You're also talking about the opposite end of the calorie equation. I didn't suddenly burn more calories cleaning when I decided to get in shape. We are simply more aware of our activity level.

Speak for yourself. I do more now in regards to housework alone than when I was fat....and I do it with more of a workout as well. I don't log it cause I have no need to log anything I do...my walking from fitbit is more than enough & anything over that is a bonus.

But just to clarify.... you didnt stress activity in your post... you just said
    I don't log things I normally did while I was fat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Speak for yourself. I do more now in regards to housework alone than when I was fat....and I do it with more of a workout as well. I don't log it cause I have no need to log anything I do...my walking from fitbit is more than enough & anything over that is a bonus.

But just to clarify.... you didnt stress activity in your post... you just said
    I don't log things I normally did while I was fat.

You stopped reading at the first sentence. Please quit twisting my words or ignoring all of what I say. I do not appreciate it. There is a reason I write more than one sentence.
    That's part of what I view as my regular activity level. I am sedentary during the week (desk job) but weekends are active with cleaning, so I set my activity level to light.

You may do more housework now, but if you did the same amount you would not burn more calories. You don't suddenly burn more calories when you are aware of your activity level, you only burn more when you increase it.

Once again, please don't chop my words and make them out to be something different from what I said. Thank you.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Simple...car washing burns exactly 84 calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Car washing usually isn't a chore so you can count those calories. But everyday cleaning, etc., nah.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bobkat80
    bobkat80 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    "3.141592653589793238462643"

Now I just want pi.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Car washing usually isn't a chore so you can count those calories. But everyday cleaning, etc., nah.

:angry:

just for that, I'm stripping you of your autosig.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Some people consider their daily steps tracked on fitbit exercise - sorry I would have made those daily steps anyway it's not included in my exercise.

I walked when I was fat, I still walk now... I log it. I never did walk a marathon each day though, but I still walk. Anything not sitting down is exercise..... you don't have to log it...but walking is considered exercise. I would normally have walked to work... does not mean it's not exercise.

Okay so I will CLARIFY this - If I go for a 3 mile walk for exercise I log it (my Loop tells me it is around 6500 + steps) However when I am trying to ensure that I do at least 10000 steps in a NORMAL day I aim to do over 16000 steps. Exercise for the purpose of losing weight is different - if I did 10000 steps in a normal day when I wasn't tracking food and trying to lose weight why would I discredit the extra effort by considering my normal activity exercise?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

Okay so I will CLARIFY this - If I go for a 3 mile walk for exercise I log it (my Loop tells me it is around 6500 + steps) However when I am trying to ensure that I do at least 10000 steps in a NORMAL day I aim to do over 16000 steps. Exercise for the purpose of losing weight is different - if I did 10000 steps in a normal day when I wasn't tracking food and trying to lose weight why would I discredit the extra effort by considering my normal activity exercise?

Yep according to that person cause it was part of your normal day anyway. :ohwell: Yet if you did it as a workout...like you went & walked around a track for 10,000 then & ONLY then would it be exercise.... I think. I dunno cause I class it all as exercise.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Washing the car is an activity that I log as exercise because I really work my arms. I've actually worn my heart rate monitor to see how many calories I burned. At a weight of 125 lbs., I burned 121 calories in 30 minutes of car washing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options

:angry:

just for that, I'm stripping you of your autosig.
    But it's not. It's like mowing the lawn. I don't do it every week, so it's not consistent. I actually burn more the day I mow that lawn than the days I don't. Yes?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dragonlver
    Options
    I clean cars for a living and it can and is very hard work. I too would like to know how many calories are burned doing this. I do it 7-8 hrs a day.
  • WeavesWife
    WeavesWife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm late on my reply. But I would log it. I work put to P90X, Jillian Michaels and I'm waiting for TurboFire to arrive, I just finished washing my car and yes, it IS a workout! Squats, arms, moving a lot! I say log what you want. If you know it is a good workout for you, log it. Just because some people don't does not mean you can't.
  • sdwellman
    sdwellman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Car washing EASILY burns 250 calories an hour! Anyone who says otherwise has never washed a car.

Working vigorously, it takes me a good hour and a half to thoroughly wash and dry the car.

One of the best forms of exercise to do around the house. Uses all the major muscles groups from head to toe.

Try it! You'll like it!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I disagree with everyone here. I burn 300 calories when I clean my house with light to moderate effort for an hour, so why couldn't it be for a car wash too? I don't know about you, but when I'm done washing my car I am sweating profusely from all of the squating, bending, stretching, not to mention all in the blazing sun.
    I checked a few other websites and the average seems to be about 250-300 calories per hour burned while washing a car. I say go for it. My doctor is always reminding me that "everything counts" and the point is to be active.

But there is already an allowance for activity calories in everyone's plan--even those who say they are sedentary.

In most cases, after doing a more strenuous "task", people reduce their activity for the remainder of the day, thus offsetting any extra calories burned. People tend to have very selective memories-they remember the one hour car wash, but forget the hours sitting on the couch watching TV.

PS: car experts strongly recommend that people wash their cars out of direct sunlight, and when the car body is relatively cool. :smile:
  • smarieallen85
    smarieallen85 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Why would you log chores? They're part of life. Unless you actually don't do chores.
  • epicurean0229
    epicurean0229 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wondering why comments on this dried up yrs ago! Hey-hi
    One hour valeting inside of a big estate followed by dry scrubbing two very large carpets (removing dog hairs!). Then brushing said dog+ hoovering areas. You bet I’m logging this as a cardio work out! Sensibly, compared to, say, gardening at a similar rate (vigorously!) which is valued on lots of websites, I’m logging 25O calories burned. Don’t think that’s excessive.