For those who have had a Gastric Bypass operation....was it

Options
Fieldsy
Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
I am just curious on the long term success rate for people who have had gastric bypass. I have had it a little over 5 years now. I've lost over 200lbs. I can eat like a normal person. I've met patients who could only eat a tiny portion of food and they sound surprised at how I can eat anything I want. Even after the surgery (besides the first 2-3 months), I would eat a proper amount of food. I'd space it out to 7-8 meals a day so I wouldn't get stuffed and still get the proper amount of calories.

Replies

• waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hi Fieldsy,
    I had lap band 2 years ago this month. I'm still working towards my goal. But my mother had gastric bypass (the one nicknamed "stomach staple") over 26 years ago and she still looks great in her 60s. Her size goes up and down a bit, just like anyone else. But she's never gained probably more than 15 or 20 pounds before being able to take it back off. She still eats very small portions, better than I do with my lap band.

Congratulations on your success! It sounds like you have been doing all the right things!
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    I went off track big time during the first/2nd year of having it though. I would eat too much and throw up constantly. Its what stretched out my stomach back to normal I think.

I always say eating like that was the best mistake I ever did. I'd hate to eat so little.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I was kind of the same way with my surgery. I lost an initial 40 pounds, and thought I was so hot. Then I started eating more and more and exercising less. I somehow managed to maintain that loss for almost a year. Then between Halloween and New Year's, I put back on about half of what I lost. I came back here to MFP and have taken off 30 pounds since January.

I suppose I wouldn't have lost all this weight without the surgery. But without the friends I've made here on MFP that inspire me to keep track of what I eat and motivate me to exercise, I'd probably be back to my starting weight by now.

I still have a few days when I eat too much or too fast and lose my cookies, but it's much less frequent these days.
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    I have two sister-in-laws that have had the surgery, one had it first about 15 or 20 years ago, another about 3-4 years ago. The first one lost a ton of weight, but had massive problems and ended up gaining the weight plus some. She's since had the surgery redone 2 more times. She's down from what she was, but still considerably overweight and not losing anymore. She basically thought the surgery was all she needed to do and never changed her lifestyle. The other sister-in-law is doing better weight wise (she took it off and has been steady since then), but it destroyed her health. She's constantly sick, can't eat normal portions and her stomach has problems digesting any animal products - she loves pork chops, but ends up just chewing them up and never swallowing. It's kind of nasty.

As long as you've changed your lifestyle, I don't think you'll have a problem keeping it off. That's the key to any weight loss though, you have to realize that the old way was wrong and figure out how to change it.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have 5 friends that have gained back all their weight plus more within 6-7 years. Gastric bypass has ruined my dads life. He life's off a feeding tube and has tons of health problems now. You guys are lucky you can still eat solid foods.
  • Fieldsy
    Options
    I have two sister-in-laws that have had the surgery, one had it first about 15 or 20 years ago, another about 3-4 years ago. The first one lost a ton of weight, but had massive problems and ended up gaining the weight plus some. She's since had the surgery redone 2 more times. She's down from what she was, but still considerably overweight and not losing anymore. She basically thought the surgery was all she needed to do and never changed her lifestyle. The other sister-in-law is doing better weight wise (she took it off and has been steady since then), but it destroyed her health. She's constantly sick, can't eat normal portions and her stomach has problems digesting any animal products - she loves pork chops, but ends up just chewing them up and never swallowing. It's kind of nasty.

As long as you've changed your lifestyle, I don't think you'll have a problem keeping it off. That's the key to any weight loss though, you have to realize that the old way was wrong and figure out how to change it.

Thats the problem with the surgery. People expect to have it and lose weight from doing nothing. I researched my *kitten* off and was 100% ready to have it done. Even I slipped up, but I am just happy I had a lot of self control to get the ball rolling. Its a very major surgery/decision. The surgery is a great tool for someone to start all over again (eating wise).