How Do I Lose Excess Water Weight?

Options
I was wondering if I should go with a diuretic or if there's another way to lose it. I have it bad in my legs. Any advice would be welcome.

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a loaded question. Is the extra water of sodium? are you diabetic? Are you under a doctors Care? There are so many reasons for water retention. If it is just from sodium I would suggest drinking plenty of water for a few days. 1 ounce of water for ever 2 pounds that you weigh is a decent start.
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    diuretics are not sustained weight loss and can be bad for you if taken over a long period of time and not under the supervision of a doctor. Generally, drinking more water and eating less sodium helps me get rid of the water I'm retaining.
  • darbobo
    darbobo Posts: 53
    Options
    Open your diary so we can check out our diet, hows your sodium. Drink lots of water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking to lose water weight? Anything you do will be temporary.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    See a Dr.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    My doctor suggested a couple of weeks of the South Beach diet, phase I, to get rid of the swelling in my feet and legs, but only after ruling out potentially very serious causes of the problem like heart or kidney disease.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did after reading your post was to look for your diary to check your sodium, but it's not open. I would start there and idling that I would talk to a doctor. As has been said, there can be many causes, but excess sodium is a common and easy one correct!
  • Thinnyminime
    Thinnyminime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Been there!!! Reduce your sodium intake. Track it on here and don't go over. Drink lots of water. When you are resting or sitting find a way to have your legs elevated. When you sleep at night have your legs up on two pillows. It will take a few days to really get rid of the water but it will go.

If you want to really jump start the process you can do the following. When you know you are going to be at home for at least 4 hours. Drink two cups of hot or cold water (totally plain water), Brew a cup of plain orange pekoe tea (red rose or sanka) and drink it black over the next 30 minutes while you rest with your legs elevated. It is best to have your legs higher than your chest to aid in gravitational flow of blood to your core. Now, every time you go to the bathroom to pee drink another 2 cups of water immediately after. Repeat this process for the full 4 hours.

Stay away from diuretics they can mess your heart up and your kidneys. Really watch your salt intake it can creep up. Water follows salt so if you eat a lot of salt your body will hold onto water. That is one change I have made over the last month and I am very glad to see my ankle bones for the first time in years!!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    how bad is it in your legs? it may be more than simple sodium...
  • megiemaus
    megiemaus Posts: 3
    Options
    When I'm having bloat days, I turn to water downed cranberry juice (natural with no added sugar). I mix 1 part cranberry juice with 3 parts water and drink it for a couple days. I find that if I'm good about drinking a couple cups of this a day, I avoid water retention issues. I also will often sub a meal for soup, especially aspragus soup (not asparagus cream, but rather vegetable broth and asparagus). I like to stick with the natural diuretics, but then water retention for me is usually the temporary result of a high sugar or high salt day, not something medical. If it's medical, I'd definitely talk to your doctor before trying any quick fixes on your own.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Actually drinking more water helps to resolve this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • katelynal
    katelynal Posts: 114
    Options
    If you have swelling that you haven't had before and it persists, you should see a doctor. When my feet and ankles first started swelling 2 summers ago, I thought it was just my extreme weight. When it appeared in my forearms and wrists, I was startled enough to see my doctor. Shortly thereafter, my hands started to curl and I really started freaking out. Eventually (after 6 months), I was referred to a rheumatologist who diagnosed eosinophilic fasciitis. That is pretty rare so I'm not saying that is what it might be, just that you should see your doctor.
  • victoire713
    victoire713 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Okay so no coffee either, right? I mean...I tend to drink a lot of coffee...Is that a no no?

I eat ramen a lot(one cup a day usually), and I love eating out.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Eating a diet of ramen and restaurant food is way too full of sodium, so that will definitely prevent you from losing water weight! You'll have to increase your intake of whole, homemade foods to reduce sodium intake.

Also, coffee is a natural diuretic, so I think that may help a bit.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Be careful about drinking too much coffee though! Drink lots and lots of water. But also check with your doctor to rule out any health problems.
  • victoire713
    Options
    I drink lots of water, no issues there. I get enough exercise, and I don't always eat out, even though I'd love to. And I try cooking homemade food as much as possible.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My Doctor is not a fan of diuretics. I wouldn't take any without your Doctor's say-so. As others have said, cut back on the sodium & drink lots of water. Bye bye ramen noodles!
  • victoire713
    Options
    What about pancakes? I love to eat those too. And lunchables and lunchables uploaded.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if I should go with a diuretic or if there's another way to lose it. I have it bad in my legs. Any advice would be welcome.
    No. Go to your doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What about pancakes? I love to eat those too. And lunchables and lunchables uploaded.