Diet/zero-calorie soft drinks?

Options
Hello everyone!

Now I know that zero-calories are not fattening at all so I was wondering if I can have like 3-4 cans a week and be safe?
What is the downside to drinking those drinks when it comes to weight loss?

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    you will get A LOT of varying differences here

Me personally my drink of choice is coke zero w/ or w/o cherry - every pound I have lost is drenched in coke zero, I probably drink about 3-4 cans a day - I have no fear of aspartame.

but be prepared to be a linked a lot of articles out of context about how I am wrong
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and live off them.

Hasn't stopped me losing weight
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    you will get A LOT of varying differences here

Me personally my drink of choice is coke zero w/ or w/o cherry - every pound I have lost is drenched in coke zero, I probably drink about 3-4 cans a day - I have no fear of aspartame.

but be prepared to be a linked a lot of articles out of context about how I am wrong

Or, indeed, tales of people getting headaches on artificial sweeteners, or having digestion issues, or finding they get cravings and are hungrier. All these people must clearly be imagining it.

I have Coke Zero but I try to limit it, just not as good as water. But there speak someone who guzzles red wine without a thought so there ya go ...
  • middle_path
    Options
    3-4 cans per week? Nothing to worry about.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight drinking 4-6 cans a day of diet coke/coke zero. I'm currently working on cutting it out, but it was never a factor in my weight loss.
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be worried about them unless they make you feel sick/ill. I love my diet soft drinks and my crystal light mixes!
  • Schlackity
    Schlackity Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I can't drink caffeine at all, so if I have soda at all, it's usually caffeine-free diet coke, but I keep that to a minimum. As an alternative, I sometimes have club soda with some Mio drops....I get to have something that tastes like real soda in whatever flavor I want. But for the most part, I'm an ice water or caffeine-free tea kinda girl.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    http://news.menshealth.com/diet-soda-ingredients/2012/11/10/

Take a look at what is in your diet soda and what those ingredients can do to your body.
  • aalhasan
    aalhasan Posts: 104
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
    I get at least 300 calories from fruit juices without even being satisfied!
    I guess I'll have a soft drink once in a while and have whole fruits to get the nutrients.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would just try to limit at as there are studies out there linking aspartame and high fructose corn syrup to all kinds of bad things.

I tend to stick to splenda-sweetened soda when I do get it, but who knows, Splenda is probably bad for you too.

Like everything else, I'd say it's all about moderation.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking diet soda & artificial sweeteners multiple times a day since they were introduced in the mid 60's. I've had checkups every year for the last 10 years and my blood pressure, blood sugar (glucose), cholesterol, pulse rate, PSA and all other vitals have been in the normal range. No cancer, no ulcers, no headaches, no side effects.

That's what's referred to as anecdotal evidence though.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    One can a day of Diet Coke since nursing school 25+ years ago.
    What was the question? :wink:
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Now I know that zero-calories are not fattening at all so I was wondering if I can have like 3-4 cans a week and be safe?
    What is the downside to drinking those drinks when it comes to weight loss?

Thanks for your help in advance! :)

i used to drink a diet mountain dew everyday for caffeine...
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    They're fine
  • JDanKing
    JDanKing Posts: 13
    Options
    They're fine

I must agree. I drink diet soda quite a bit, with no apparent ill effects.

To my understanding, the big "problem" associated with diet soda (or anything artificially sweetened) is that it supposedly makes you crave sweets. It has no such effect on me; that's not to say it can't or doesn't have negative effects on others.

So, my answer is - try it. If it causes cravings for more sweets, headaches, or other problems, stay away from it. If not, then I don't see a reason not to enjoy it, and yourself.

For me, some foods just go better with soda!
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy :)

I can argue against them all day. There's no link between diet soda and obese people, but neither is there a link between diet soda and thin people. But the artificial sweeteners aren't the best for your body. They're a very acidic soda, meaning it will dissolve your teeth without meticulous care. Just read an article where they are comparing the damage they do to hard drugs like meth. I've also read about how the perceived sweetness of the sodas tricks your body into thinking you're ingesting carbs and when it realizes it's not getting them it can cause you to start craving sweets.

So there's a lot of theories that go into this and quite a bit of research.... some even conflicting. That's why I say do what makes you happy. The acid content is real, so make sure you're brushing (I had what my dentist referred to as Mountain Dew mouth as I used to drink about a gallon a day.) You'd really be splitting hairs to argue if it's going to cause you to stop losing weight or not.
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    That stuff is bad news.. your body would appreciate water much more. Or even a zero-calorie water flavor, if you'd need that taste. But atleast 3-4 cans a week isn't too bad :) you could always try to slowly cut down
  • JasonT1973
    JasonT1973 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy the soda and don't find an increase in carb cravings then drink them. BUT - DO NOT COUNT them toward your daily intake of water. You can replace the minimum 8 cups a day with powerade zero if you must have flavor in the liquids you drink. Hands down though nothing is a good for you as plain clean water.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas are crap for your health. I did some of my research in college on the negative effects of aspartame....

Then I decided I didn't want to be fat anymore and I started chugging diet coke and splenda like it was going out of style. I haven't died yet. I think moderation is ok and you should be okay with a few diet sodas a week. But even though they are great for weight loss, just be aware that they aren't the best for overall health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options
    http://news.menshealth.com/diet-soda-ingredients/2012/11/10/

Take a look at what is in your diet soda and what those ingredients can do to your body.
    I know what's in diet soda and there isn't any peer reviewed clinical studies that prove that mild dosages are harmful to the general population. MEGA DOSES yes, but that's with anything in life.

3-4 can a week? Meh. I drink 1-2 a day for the last 25 years.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition