Share your low carb dairy with me?

Options
Hey everyone, I am thinking of switching to a low carb diet to break out of my plateau. I was thinking South Beach - maybe. Anyone care to share their their low-carb diaries with me to give me ideas. Doesn't have to be South beach. I just want to do something different and rev up / or change my metabolism. Any ideasand or help welcomed!!!

Replies

• saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been doing low carb for close to a year. My food diary is public so feel free to take a peek. :smile: I follow Atkins but modify it to fit my life, so I'm not as strict as some people.
    As far as ideas...I eat a LOT of protein and a lot of good green, leafy veggies!! I love to use the Atkins products as snacks or breakfast and do use some of the South Beach bars also. Right now I've gone back to induction on Atkins (no fruits!!) to break through my plateau and have lost 3lbs. in a week where I hadn't lost anything in a month. :drinker: I plan to start slowly adding back in healthy fruits within another 2 weeks or so!
    Feel free to message or friend me if you have any questions! Best of luck!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Hi there. You are welcome to look at my diary also..............however I am not very good at keeping up with adding my foods. I am trying to be more diligent about keeping it up.

I was an Atkins girl, but have now switched to Primal Blue Print by Mark Sisson.

I agree with what saverys_gal stated. Fats, Proteins and Green leafy veggies will keep you full, satisfied and get rid of those sugar cravings.............I don't use the Atkins or South Beach products - my body does not do well with artificial sweeteners, but you may be ok with them.

Here is a link to a low carb cookbook I found on the internet. I am going to be trying some of these recipes soon as most of them sound yummy!!!!

http://liveprimal.com/LPrecipes.pdf

For myself, I eat very simple, kind of eating the same things over and over...............

Breakfast is usually home made sausage or bacon and eggs.............or Fage yogurt with a handful of berries. I buy the full fat version.............

Snacks: Celery with almond butter, strawberries with a splash of heavy cream, other raw veggies dipped in home made ranch.

Lunch: Chicken salad (home made everything, even the mayonnaise), lettuce salad with balsamic vinegar..........

Supper: Meat (Steak, chicken, shrimp, pork steaks, or some type of fish) with veggies (green beans, collard greens, spinach, kale, spaghetti squash, zucchini, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, etc)

I ask one thing....................Look at Low Carbing as a Lifestyle Change. If you can not commit to it being a Total Lifestyle Transformation, then you might want to reconsider. Most people can't or won't make that committment.

If you do decide to embark on this Lifestyle, your body will gladly Thank You.

Feel free to PM me.............
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    Hi there. You are welcome to look at my diary also..............however I am not very good at keeping up with adding my foods. I am trying to be more diligent about keeping it up.

I was an Atkins girl, but have now switched to Primal Blue Print by Mark Sisson.

I agree with what saverys_gal stated. Fats, Proteins and Green leafy veggies will keep you full, satisfied and get rid of those sugar cravings.............I don't use the Atkins or South Beach products - my body does not do well with artificial sweeteners, but you may be ok with them.

Here is a link to a low carb cookbook I found on the internet. I am going to be trying some of these recipes soon as most of them sound yummy!!!!

For myself, I eat very simple, kind of eating the same things over and over...............

Breakfast is usually home made sausage or bacon and eggs.............or Fage yogurt with a handful of berries. I buy the full fat version.............

Snacks: Celery with almond butter, strawberries with a splash of heavy cream, other raw veggies dipped in home made ranch.

Lunch: Chicken salad (home made everything, even the mayonnaise), lettuce salad with balsamic vinegar..........

Supper: Meat (Steak, chicken, shrimp, pork steaks, or some type of fish) with veggies (green beans, collard greens, spinach, kale, spaghetti squash, zucchini, steamed broccoli, cauliflower, etc)

I ask one thing....................Look at Low Carbing as a Lifestyle Change. If you can not commit to it being a Total Lifestyle Transformation, then you might want to reconsider. Most people can't or won't make that committment.

I agree, not everyone does well with artificial sweeteners, but it's also important to not go overboard with it if you do use it! :smile:
    July - I've heard of almond butter, but never tried it... Do you go for that over peanut butter? Is it better for you nutritionally? Taste wise, how does is stack up? Also, I'm a HUGE ranch girl and it's the one thing I can't and won't give up! You say you make your own - how? Is it totally carb free? :laugh:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I do have to say that I just went to the Atkins site and they are too much on promoting the products and seems like getting away from the Whole Foods approach that I read about when Dr. Atkins was the physician writing the books.

Atkins Nutritionals seems to have went very commercialized like South Beach and that is a turn off in itself to me.

In the 2002 edition of the Atkins Nutritional Approach, it was focused on a Whole Foods Plan..............

Here is the Acceptable Foods List for Phase 1 on Atkins (Note*** I am not trying to push Atkins Way of Eating on you, just giving you a list of potential foods you have eat.) :wink:
    Acceptable Foods
    These are the foods you may eat liberally during Induction:

All fish,
    including ...
    All fowl,
    including ... All shellfish,
    including ...
    All meat,
    including ... All eggs,
    including ...
    tuna
    chicken
    oysters*
    beef
    scrambled

salmon turkey mussels*
    pork fried
    sole duck duck lamb poached
    trout goose clams bacon** soft-boiled
    flounder Cornish hen squid veal hard-boiled
    sardines quail shrimp ham**
    deviled
    herring pheasant crabmeat venison omelets

*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

**Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION
    Cheese
    You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:
    cheddar
    cow, sheep and goat cheese
    cream cheese
    Gouda
    mozzarella
    Roquefort and other blue cheeses
    Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.
    Vegetables
    You should eat 12-15 net carbs a day of vegetables. These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber:
    alfalfa sprouts
    daikon
    mushrooms
    arugula
    endive
    parsley
    bok choy
    escarole
    peppers
    celery
    fennel
    radicchio
    chicory
    jicama
    radishes
    chives
    lettuce
    romaine lettuce
    cucumber
    mâche
    sorrel

Other Vegetables
    Within the 12-15 net carb daily vegetable requirement, these vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables listed above, but they also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily food intake:
    artichoke
    celery root
    pumpkin
    artichoke hearts
    rhubarb
    asparagus
    chard
    sauerkraut
    bamboo shoots
    collard greens
    scallions
    dandelion
    snow peas
    bean sprouts
    dandelion greens
    spaghetti squash
    beet greens
    eggplant
    spinach
    broccoli
    hearts of palm
    string or wax beans
    broccoli rabe
    kale
    summer squash
    Brussels sprouts
    kohlrabi
    tomato
    bean sprouts
    leeks
    turnips
    cabbage
    okra
    water chestnuts
    cauliflower
    onion
    zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.
    Salad Garnishes
    crumbled crisp bacon
    grated cheese
    minced hard-boiled egg
    sautéed mushrooms
    sour cream
    Spices
    All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar.
    Herbs
    basil
    garlic
    rosemary
    cayenne pepper
    ginger
    sage
    cilantro
    oregano
    tarragon
    dill
    pepper
    thyme

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.
    Acceptable Fats and Oils
    Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.
    Butter is allowed. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are now available.)
    You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.
    Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM may interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.
    Artificial Sweeteners
    You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, etc., should be avoided. However, most sugar alcohols have a minimal effect on blood sugar and are acceptable.
    Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.
    The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.
    Acceptable Beverages
    Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including:
    Filtered water
    Mineral water
    Spring water
    Tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:
    Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
    Club soda
    Cream, heavy or light (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content)
    Decaffeinated or regular coffee or tea*
    Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
    Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
    Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
    Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 2.8 grams carbohydrate per ounce); limit to two to three tablespoons
    * Caffeine can cause cravings or blood sugar spikes with some people. If you’re one of them, you should drink only decaffeinated beverages. If you don’t have a problem with caffeine, you may drink one or two caffeinated beverages a day, because evolving research indicates there may actually be health benefits to a limited amount of caffeine. However, if you have a true caffeine addiction, it will be best to break it during Induction, because any food addiction can cause problems if it isn’t taken care of. Once you’ve broken the addiction and moved on to OWL, you can carefully try adding caffeinated beverages back into your food intake, as long as it doesn’t trigger the addiction again.

Special Category Foods
    To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.
    Convenience Foods
    Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack.
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    July,

Thank you very much for your response. I am going to look up the Primal Blue Print you suggested & the ccokbook. I am not opposed to this being a lifestyle change - I guess I just need to learn more about and how my body reacts to it. Thanks for all the great advice and a sample of your dairy - that really helps.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I agree, not everyone does well with artificial sweeteners, but it's also important to not go overboard with it if you do use it! :smile:
    July - I've heard of almond butter, but never tried it... Do you go for that over peanut butter? Is it better for you nutritionally? Taste wise, how does is stack up? Also, I'm a HUGE ranch girl and it's the one thing I can't and won't give up! You say you make your own - how? Is it totally carb free? :laugh:

I don't eat peanuts or peanut butter since moving from Atkins over to Primal Blue Print. Peanuts are not nuts, but legumes and on Primal Blue Print we don't eat beans or legumes.

I actually like Almond Butter better than peanut butter. Macadamia nut butter is even better, but way expensive. Something I buy for an occasional treat..............

I make my own mayonnaise and Ranch Dressings.................I will post recipes. I make them myself so I can avoid the chemicals and added sugar that is in those products.
  • lobster888
    Options
    Thanks for the added info - I am not into process food and prefer to eat clean or the whole foods approach like you said. Great list - that should help me alot!!!
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    I do have to say that I just went to the Atkins site and they are too much on promoting the products and seems like getting away from the Whole Foods approach that I read about when Dr. Atkins was the physician writing the books.

Atkins Nutritionals seems to have went very commercialized like South Beach and that is a turn off in itself to me.

In the 2002 edition of the Atkins Nutritional Approach, it was focused on a Whole Foods Plan..............

Here is the Acceptable Foods List for Phase 1 on Atkins (Note*** I am not trying to push Atkins Way of Eating on you, just giving you a list of potential foods you have eat.) :wink:
    Acceptable Foods
    These are the foods you may eat liberally during Induction:

All fish,
    including ...
    All fowl,
    including ... All shellfish,
    including ...
    All meat,
    including ... All eggs,
    including ...
    tuna
    chicken
    oysters*
    beef
    scrambled

salmon turkey mussels*
    pork fried
    sole duck duck lamb poached
    trout goose clams bacon** soft-boiled
    flounder Cornish hen squid veal hard-boiled
    sardines quail shrimp ham**
    deviled
    herring pheasant crabmeat venison omelets

*Oysters and mussels are higher in carbs than other shellfish, so limit them to four ounces per day.

**Processed meats, such as ham, bacon, pepperoni, salami, hot dogs and other luncheon meats—and some fish—may be cured with added sugar and will contribute carbs. Try to avoid meat and fish products cured with nitrates, which are known carcinogens. Also beware of products that are not exclusively meat, fish or fowl, such as imitation fish, meatloaf and breaded foods. Finally, do not consume more than four ounces of organ meats a day.

OTHER FOODS THAT ARE ACCEPTABLE DURING INDUCTION
    Cheese
    You can consume three to four ounces daily of the following full-fat, firm, soft and semisoft aged cheeses*, including:
    cheddar
    cow, sheep and goat cheese
    cream cheese
    Gouda
    mozzarella
    Roquefort and other blue cheeses
    Swiss

*All cheeses have some carbohydrate content. The quantity you eat should be governed by that knowledge. The rule of thumb is to count 1 ounce of cheese as equivalent to 1 gram of carbohydrate. Note that cottage cheese, farmer’s cheese and other fresh cheeses are not permitted during Induction. No "diet" cheese, cheese spreads or whey cheeses are permitted. Individuals with known yeast symptoms, dairy allergy or cheese intolerance must avoid cheese. Imitation cheese products are not allowed, except for soy or rice cheese—but check the carbohydrate content.
    Vegetables
    You should eat 12-15 net carbs a day of vegetables. These salad vegetables are high in phytonutrients and provide a good source of fiber:
    alfalfa sprouts
    daikon
    mushrooms
    arugula
    endive
    parsley
    bok choy
    escarole
    peppers
    celery
    fennel
    radicchio
    chicory
    jicama
    radishes
    chives
    lettuce
    romaine lettuce
    cucumber
    mâche
    sorrel

Other Vegetables
    Within the 12-15 net carb daily vegetable requirement, these vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables listed above, but they also provide important nutrients and add variety to your daily food intake:
    artichoke
    celery root
    pumpkin
    artichoke hearts
    rhubarb
    asparagus
    chard
    sauerkraut
    bamboo shoots
    collard greens
    scallions
    dandelion
    snow peas
    bean sprouts
    dandelion greens
    spaghetti squash
    beet greens
    eggplant
    spinach
    broccoli
    hearts of palm
    string or wax beans
    broccoli rabe
    kale
    summer squash
    Brussels sprouts
    kohlrabi
    tomato
    bean sprouts
    leeks
    turnips
    cabbage
    okra
    water chestnuts
    cauliflower
    onion
    zucchini

If a vegetable, such as spinach or tomato, cooks down significantly, it must be measured raw so as not to underestimate its carb count.
    Salad Garnishes
    crumbled crisp bacon
    grated cheese
    minced hard-boiled egg
    sautéed mushrooms
    sour cream
    Spices
    All spices to taste, but make sure none contain added sugar.
    Herbs
    basil
    garlic
    rosemary
    cayenne pepper
    ginger
    sage
    cilantro
    oregano
    tarragon
    dill
    pepper
    thyme

For salad dressing, use oil and vinegar or lemon juice and herbs and spices. Prepared salad dressings without added sugar and no more than two carbs per tablespoon serving are also fine.
    Acceptable Fats and Oils
    Many fats, especially certain oils, are essential to good nutrition. Olive oil is particularly valuable. All other vegetable oils are allowed, the best being canola, walnut, soybean, grapeseed, sesame, sunflower and safflower oils, especially if they are labeled "cold-pressed" or "expeller-pressed." Do not cook polyunsaturated oils, such as corn, soybean and sunflower oil, at high temperatures or allow to brown or smoke.
    Butter is allowed. Margarine should be avoided, not because of its carbohydrate content, but because it is usually made of trans fats (hydrogenated oils), which are a health hazard. (Some nonhydrogenated margarines are now available.)
    You don't have to remove the skin and fat from meat or fowl. Salmon and other cold-water fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids.
    Remember that trying to do a low-fat version of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM may interfere with fat burning and derail your weight loss.
    Artificial Sweeteners
    You must determine which artificial sweeteners agree with you, but the following are allowed: sucralose (marketed as Splenda™), saccharin, cyclamate and acesulfame-K. Natural sweeteners ending in the suffix "-ose," such as maltose, etc., should be avoided. However, most sugar alcohols have a minimal effect on blood sugar and are acceptable.
    Saccharin has been extensively studied, and harmful effects were produced in the lab when fed to rats only in extremely high doses. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has removed saccharin from its list of carcinogens, basing its decision upon a thorough review of the medical literature and the National Institute of Science’s statement that there is "no clear association between saccharin and human cancer." It can be safely consumed in moderation, meaning no more than three packets a day. Saccharin is marketed as Sweet'n Low™.
    The Atkins preference, however, is sucralose (Splenda™), the only sweetener made from sugar. Sucralose is safe, noncaloric and does not raise blood sugar. It has been used in Canada for years, and the FDA approved it after reviewing more than 100 studies conducted over the past 20 years. Note that each packet of sugar substitute contains about 1 gram of carbohydrate, so don’t forget to include the amount in your daily totals.
    Acceptable Beverages
    Be sure to drink a minimum of eight eight-ounce glasses of water each day, including:
    Filtered water
    Mineral water
    Spring water
    Tap water

Additionally, you can have the following:
    Clear broth/bouillon (not all brands; read the label)
    Club soda
    Cream, heavy or light (limit to two to three tablespoons a day; note carbohydrate content)
    Decaffeinated or regular coffee or tea*
    Diet soda made with sucralose (Splenda™); be sure to count the carbs
    Essence-flavored seltzer (must say "no calories")
    Herb tea (without barley or any fruit sugar added)
    Lemon juice or lime juice (note that each contains 2.8 grams carbohydrate per ounce); limit to two to three tablespoons
    * Caffeine can cause cravings or blood sugar spikes with some people. If you’re one of them, you should drink only decaffeinated beverages. If you don’t have a problem with caffeine, you may drink one or two caffeinated beverages a day, because evolving research indicates there may actually be health benefits to a limited amount of caffeine. However, if you have a true caffeine addiction, it will be best to break it during Induction, because any food addiction can cause problems if it isn’t taken care of. Once you’ve broken the addiction and moved on to OWL, you can carefully try adding caffeinated beverages back into your food intake, as long as it doesn’t trigger the addiction again.

Special Category Foods
    To add variety, each day you can also eat 10 to 20 olives, half a small avocado, an ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.
    Convenience Foods
    Although it is important that you eat primarily unprocessed foods, some controlled carb food products can come in handy when you are unable to find appropriate food, can’t take time for a meal or need a quick snack.

July, I do agree - it's just like Jillian Michaels putting her name on supplements and all that crap. It's all to make money! On the flip side, the Atkins products are convenient and tasty and I personally love them...I figure they have to push them and advertise them and that's just their thing so whatever, you know? There are a lot of people who won't look too in depth and see that there is way more to it than just chugging a shake! :laugh: When I first went low carb I referenced the book, not the website, but I do find the website useful for it's menu planning for 2 weeks of induction, plus it does give a list of acceptable foods. So it's not all bad.
  • saverys_gal
    Options

I don't eat peanuts or peanut butter since moving from Atkins over to Primal Blue Print. Peanuts are not nuts, but legumes and on Primal Blue Print we don't eat beans or legumes.

I actually like Almond Butter better than peanut butter. Macadamia nut butter is even better, but way expensive. Something I buy for an occasional treat..............

I make my own mayonnaise and Ranch Dressings.................I will post recipes. I make them myself so I can avoid the chemicals and added sugar that is in those products.

I'll look for almond butter during my next grocery trip. Is there a particular brand that you find to be best?

Please let me know when you post the recipes! I really look forward to them. Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Creamy, low-carb ranch dressing

Ingredients:

1 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 Tbsp. heavy cream
    1/2 teaspoon dried chives
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

How To Prepare:

In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, cream, chives, parsley, dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.

Mayonnaise - Recipe is based on Alton Brown's recipe, but I use a different oil in it..........

Ingredients
    1 egg yolk*
    1/2 teaspoon fine salt
    1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 pinches sugar
    2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
    1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
    1 cup oil, Grapeseed

Directions
    In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.

Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

I'll look for almond butter during my next grocery trip. Is there a particular brand that you find to be best?

Please let me know when you post the recipes! I really look forward to them. Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:

Do you have a Trader Joe's? I just get their brand of Almond or Macadamia nut butter.

I posted the recipes!!!
  • lobster888
    Options
    I actually buy almond butter from whole foods fresh!! I have even made cookies from a clean eating magazine with the almond butter and they were great! It is expensive though!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    July,

Thank you very much for your response. I am going to look up the Primal Blue Print you suggested & the ccokbook. I am not opposed to this being a lifestyle change - I guess I just need to learn more about and how my body reacts to it. Thanks for all the great advice and a sample of your dairy - that really helps.

Your quite welcome!!!

Marksdailyapple.com is the website for Primal Blue Print.

The key to having your body react favorably to the new way your eating is to make sure you eat plenty of fats and proteins to keep you full and satisfied. Veggies give you lots of energy.

Drink lots of water.

Be prepared when you first start to detox and may have headaches, muscle aches and just feel blah...........that is your body ridding itself of the toxins and sugar addiction.

At about day 3-5 you will get a burst of energy and you will be rarring to go. LOL.

Be prepared for some side effects too.............Are you ready for them?

More Energy
    Better Sleep
    Wake up Refreshed
    Not Hungry
    Don't have to count calories

These are just to name a few!!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I actually buy almond butter from whole foods fresh!! I have even made cookies from a clean eating magazine with the almond butter and they were great! It is expensive though!

Ok, I have a Whole Foods close to me, I will have to check it out. I have never been in Whole Foods. I always go to Trader joes because I was told Whole Foods is way expensive.
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I eat a somewhat low carb diet. I do eat fruit, vegetables (limit starchy vegetables to no more than 3 times a week) i eat only whole wheat or whole grains, oatmeal, corn tortillas, brown rice and lundberg brown rice crackers, (no more than a total of 2-3 servings for the day) If I eat a whole wheat double fiber muffin for breakfast I will typically not eat any grains for either lunch or dinner. I do not eat white flour products, white sugar, and very limited artificial sweeteners. I eat low fat protein like chicken breast or fish or (93/7 hamburger on rare occasions) and legumes. I eat eggs two times a week and I only consume low fat or no fat dairy products. I try and stay at 1200 calories if I don't exercise or more on the days I workout (I try and eat at least 1/2 of my calories burned and sometimes I eat them all. I eat almonds daily (1/2 oz):smile: .
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    To me Whole Foods is fairly pricey...Trader Joe's is much better price wise, but WF has a bigger selection! Unfortunately for me they are both located right next to each other in a very inconvenient area so I don't go to either one very often...maybe I'll make a special trip!

I'm looking forward to trying out the almond butter! I didn't even know there was such a thing as macadamia nut butter!

July - thanks for the recipes! The ranch looks smashing! But what about storage? Do you just keep it covered in a bowl until it's empty? My fridge is just kinda tiny :grumble: ...so I'm thinking of another way to store it and how long it would last...
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    I eat a somewhat low carb diet. I do eat fruit, vegetables (limit starchy vegetables to no more than 3 times a week) i eat only whole wheat or whole grains, oatmeal, corn tortillas, brown rice and lundberg brown rice crackers, (no more than a total of 2-3 servings for the day) If I eat a whole wheat double fiber muffin for breakfast I will typically not eat any grains for either lunch or dinner. I do not eat white flour products, white sugar, and very limited artificial sweeteners. I eat low fat protein like chicken breast or fish or (93/7 hamburger on rare occasions) and legumes. I eat eggs two times a week and I only consume low fat or no fat dairy products. I try and stay at 1200 calories if I don't exercise or more on the days I workout (I try and eat at least 1/2 of my calories burned and sometimes I eat them all. I eat almonds daily (1/2 oz):smile: .

Yay for almonds! :drinker: They are such an awesome snack!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    To me Whole Foods is fairly pricey...Trader Joe's is much better price wise, but WF has a bigger selection! Unfortunately for me they are both located right next to each other in a very inconvenient area so I don't go to either one very often...maybe I'll make a special trip!

I'm looking forward to trying out the almond butter! I didn't even know there was such a thing as macadamia nut butter!

July - thanks for the recipes! The ranch looks smashing! But what about storage? Do you just keep it covered in a bowl until it's empty? My fridge is just kinda tiny :grumble: ...so I'm thinking of another way to store it and how long it would last...

The ranch will last about 3 weeks............I was keeping it in a rubber maid type container. I went to the Dollar Tree and bought some of those mustard / ketchup clear squirt bottles and keep it in there now. Just wash and rinse when it is empty and then make more and fill it up again...............

My hubby and I even made our own ketchup. :) It is not thick as Heinz, but my husband like the home made flavor better.
  • lobster888
    Options
    I really wish I had a Traders Joe near me - but I don't - I have two whole foods though! I have been to Trader Joe's in Chicago on vacation - it was great - alot like Whole Foods - I think WF is bigger and more expensive but that's just on my limited experieince.
  • saverys_gal
    Options
    July - awesome idea on storage! I will hopefully be out near a DT in the next week and will hopefully be able to find one for the ranch. :smile:

Lobster - they're both similar but different stores. WF definitely has a much bigger selection, hands down but when it comes to prices, I think TJ wins. Personally, I've always like TJ better...but I do occasionally go to WF for some things. Can't be loyal to any one place! :wink: