Going Over Calorie Goal

Options
Does anyone else feel absolutely horrible about themselves if they go even a little over their calorie goal for the day? I find that I get really down on myself, even if I get withing 100 calories of my goal. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well I used to, but now what I've done is, I eat what I want to, and then workout as much as I can of those calories (usually 100 or so). Since there's always a higher metabolic rate after working out, you're probably burning off the rest 20-30 (conservative figure) calories past your daily allowance. Don't feel bad! :)
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes,,,,i won't allow myself to go over my goal. The hardest is the days I don't exercise and have nothing else to play with and you have to eat 1200 or else it says you are starving yourself....I try to get it as close as I can but I can't go over. I am weird I know! I exercise 5 times a week so usually I am good.
  • kate21797
    kate21797 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always feel horrible, like a kid getting caught doing something they know they aren't supposed to be doing. Unless it's like a holiday and I've worked out all week knowing that I'd probably go over that day.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    nope. I'm eating at a 500 calories deficit. If I'm over by 50 calories for the day, I'm still at a deficit of 450. Try not to let it bother you too much. Some days you'll be a little under, some a little over. It generally balances out.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories every day.. I usually eat pretty clean, and count calories every once in awhile just to see how I'm doing. But there are days when I eat worse than others. I would say I have a 90/10% approach when it comes to food. 90% is good, healthy, nutritious food. The other 10% is whatever else. I don't go overboard with it though. But when I do have a bad day, I don't really beat myself up about it. I do kinda feel crappy physically and mentally, but it keeps me in check. It actually wants me to eat healthy more often. And I exercise 6 hours a week, so I think that kinda makes up for it anyway.
  • kevinpruitt
    kevinpruitt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Feelin the guilt tonight. I ate back my exercise calories, something I dont normally do considering that I am eating at a deficit. There is always tomorrow to right the wrongs...
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I only feel horrible on days where I cave in and eat garbage food or have alcohol/beer. I know it's empty calories and i hate myself for it, but sometimes I just NEED it or I'm going to give up completely.

I'm not active right now at all because I'm out of work on disability for a leg fracture. Me not being on my feet 80 hours a week working and me not being able to go to the gym or on daily walks with my dog is KILLING me... but I'm not going to cry over not being exact on my calories! If I'm within 200-300 calories of my set daily goal (which is my BMR)... I figure I'm okay. I still walk, I still do things, I still exist... so I'm still burning calories even though I'm not as active! I haven't gained any weight in the 5 weeks that I haven't been active, so I must be doing something right!
  • paradisochick
    Options
    Hi OP,

Sometimes I feel badly for having gone over. Depends on the day I guess. If I've gone over by a lot, then I feel bad, but if it's 100-150 or so, I don't sweat it. That can be worked off in a matter of minutes, really.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Nope. It happens. It's just best to get over it, move on, and do better the next day. I spent almost 11 years feeling guilty and trying to hide what--and how much--I was eating. I have worked hard to change my life and my relationship with food, and I am not going to freak out if I go over my calorie goals every once in while.

Plus, I'm kinda partial to the color red... :wink:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    No, i dont. I'm at a 20% per day deficit (roughly 400 calories) so being a touch over just has me at a slightly smaller deficit. Weight will still be loss. I went over by 500 last Saturday and 600 on Sunday, lost .8 pounds that week. No harm done, as far as I'm concerned.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    No, I don't get too upset over 100 calories. 100 calories over on 1 day is 0.028 lbs I might not lose that week. If I eat over by 100 the whole week, that's only 0.2 pounds I may not lose that week. Perspective, people.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    No.

You can't average your calorie goal if you never go over. It's the week not day that's important. I've never been over for the week. In fact, I was over by 256 calories today, but if I eat everything I'm supposed to tomorrow I'll still be under 1000 calories this week. I needed to be over.

That said, I rarely DO go over - and that's over a year including holidays.

I DO feel bad if I don't log everything before I go to bed. Or even before the next meal.
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I go over all the time. No worries.
  • redenham
    redenham Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't worry about the odd time going over your limit, that's life, move on and be focused for the following days and perhaps be more aware of where you went wrong, my undoing is when I get the wine bottle out......calories seem to mount up as I get weak and start to look for snacks etc, so the lesson for me is don't have a drink of wine!! Try and figure out what made you go over, I don't think a 100 calories is going to do much harm now and again.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    No, I'm not that OCD.
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I do when I go over especially when it is booze that is the cause of it.
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I do.....especially if I binge
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Only if it is as a result of eating out of emotional stuff, rather than genuine hunger.
    And not if it is only 100 calories or something stupid like that.
    Also, I am in maintenance so get a lot of calories to play with, and have less excuse to be over anyway.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    ya i have,,
    but then i figured out how to eat whatever .. get enough exercis ein a nd be under calories