First time at the gym, any advice? 26/f/5'7"/309

I was going to wait until I broke into the 200s to get a gym membership but patience is not something I'm very good at, and I purchased my very first gym membership ever today!!! I made the purchase online so I didn't actually go into the gym to buy the membership, so i havnt yet spoke to anyone at the gum about my concerns, I'll get to that after the holiday.

Anyway, after the initial excitedness wore off, the nervousness started to creep in.

The last time I went to the gym I must've been 19, maybe 20, and I've been maybe two times and that's it.

I have no idea where to start! Do I work on a treadmill? Should I attempt to lift weights? I have no idea. I can't afford a personal trainer to guide me along and teach me everything, so now I'm relying on other resources. Are there any great articles or books that you would recommend?

I don't want to hurt myself being a newbie :x.

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    I follow a lot of New Rules of Lifting for Women. it's a great book for beginners.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,179 Member
    Treadmill isn't a bad start. I'd do more walking than running just because of my shin splints, but same goes for bad knees or ankles; if you want the effect of running, use an elliptical machine to cut out the impact that causes the pain. :flowerforyou:

I'd say to try a few of the weights machines before going to free weights, so that you can see how the machine is training your muscles to align/set your form, and use free weights after if you decide you like those more. I only say in this order so that you don't end up straining something out of bad form, where a machine attempts to control that a bit.

Don't be afraid of setting things to low limits, either! Effort is effort, and learning your pace is better than rushing and hurting; even if your pace is slow, you're still moving forward. :flowerforyou:
  • kelmoseley
    kelmoseley Posts: 22 Member
    Im in a similar bought, I think establishing some decent cardio first is good. And that book mentioned is a really good tool to start on. Bodybuilding.com has some nice suggestions from trainers on how to start a workout regime.
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    new rules of lifting for women "book" treadmill and others just ask some one there to show you how the equipment works. its there job and if you get brave enough take classes you will learn so many exercise moves and they kick your butt into shape. good luck
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    When I first started I did a fitness study at my gym. I had a personal trainer watching me, counting for my reps, and showing me what/how to do it! We walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes, then would go do a set of weights, go back to the treadmill for a minute, then another set of weights, then back to the treadmill... back forth back forth... Until we had spent about 45-55 minutes doing the entire set! It was fun because I got to learn how to use the weights while doing cardio! I don't know what that is called, but it's a great way to get started! Other than that I would for sure ask the owners or someone working there to give you a little push in the right direction. It's not something to be scared of!!
  • mamabisme
    mamabisme Posts: 59 Member
    I'd start by asking someone to give you a tour. Maybe, call and set it up before you go in so you're sure someone will be available. At any gym there should be someone to show you around and help you get started your first visit.

Definitely make sure they show you the weights and try out either a few machines or some dumbells. Also, group fittness classes aren't a bad place to start. They can be lots of fun and add some vareity to your workout.
  • lisadwelley
    lisadwelley Posts: 16 Member
    When I started going to the gym, I was clueless. So I just began by walking on the treadmill. I then tried the other cardio machines (elliptical, stepper, bike, rowing machine).

I was clueless when it came to the weight machines but when I inquired at the desk about the machines they set me up with an appointment with one of the trainers just to show me the machines and how they worked. It wasn't a training session, just a little something to make you familiar with the equipment and how to use it. I would ask about that. After all, no one wants to see anyone get hurt.

Once I became more comfortable with the environment and with some encouragement from the wonderful people that work the desk at the gym, I tried some group fitness classes.

I now do a mix of everything and really enjoy my gym experience. Best money I have spent on my journey to getting healthier.

Start small and gradually do what feel comfortable for you.

All the best to you and good luck.
  • Start off walking on the treadmill. If you are feeling comfortable you can use the elliptical or the stationary bike.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    My gym (the Y) actually has a computer-generated training program available for free. When you start with the program they even assign you a personal trainer for 4 sessions free of charge. Ask your gym if they have something similar.
  • CCNYE63
    CCNYE63 Posts: 64 Member
    When you go to the gym, ask for a tour, and find out who you can go to with any questions. Take it slowly, and maybe just aim for 30 minutes of cardio at first. You may want to split up that time between 2 or 3 machines. Later, you can add weight training, I think all gyms have a staff member who can show you how to set up and use the machines.

I like to set a goal for how many times I'll get to the gym in a week, and then I put it on my schedule. It's easy for me to find an excuse to skip a day, but if I put it in my calendar I feel like I have to go so I can check it off.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Hey, great going! You are on a fantastic start to a whole new journey in life. Baby steps, baby steps. Speaking of baby steps, when I started at the gym, I started off on the treadmill. I couldn't go for very long but persistence paid off. Even though I didn't WANT to go, I knew my body would never change for the positive without it.

I set the treadmill on about a 3.5 speed for 20 minutes, no incline. I worked my way up from there. NOW, if I miss a day, it makes me antsy. I have created a habit...a positive habit.

High fives, honey! :drinker:
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Second of all, CONGRATULATIONS again!!

This is a great accomplishment! I echo previous posters - ask for a tour, let the staff know you're new and nervous, and soak up any information they can provide.

IMHO, the treadmill is a great place to start. I'd focus on cardio first - and while you're on the treadmill, watch everyone else to absorb more info. The internet has tons of how-to videos on you-tube - just do a quick search.

My very best to you!
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    I agree with some of the others - and I actually did the same when I joined a new gym (that was a lot bigger than my old gym). I told them I was new and ask if there was someone who could give me a quick tour of the gym - it turned out that my new membership came with a free hour of training - I didn't know until I asked.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Glad you didn't wait until you were down - get started now! I was 300 lbs when I started. They will have people at the gym that can walk you through all the machines. I started in Feb. and could only do about 16 min. cardio, am up to 45 min split over 3 machines (row, bike, treadmill). I kind of want to try the elliptical too because I think it will be easier than the treadmill (I have a bad knee). I started out at about 1.4 mph on the treadmill and now am up to 2 mph, which is pretty slow but I am pushing it a bit more every couple of weeks! I can walk further than I used to be able to, and even standing around at home (kitchen stuff, like dishes and cooking) is much easier even with my bad knee. I am not so fond of going to the gym, but I know I need it and I can see the results! Good luck!!
  • CCNYE63
    CCNYE63 Posts: 64 Member
    Glad you didn't wait until you were down - get started now! I was 300 lbs when I started. They will have people at the gym that can walk you through all the machines. I started in Feb. and could only do about 16 min. cardio, am up to 45 min split over 3 machines (row, bike, treadmill). I kind of want to try the elliptical too because I think it will be easier than the treadmill (I have a bad knee). I started out at about 1.4 mph on the treadmill and now am up to 2 mph, which is pretty slow but I am pushing it a bit more every couple of weeks! I can walk further than I used to be able to, and even standing around at home (kitchen stuff, like dishes and cooking) is much easier even with my bad knee. I am not so fond of going to the gym, but I know I need it and I can see the results! Good luck!!

Congrats on your accomplishments!
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Some gyms offer a free session with a trainer to get set up on weights, so I would check into that.

I started off with months of yoga (offered at the gym) before I was capable of getting on a treadmill and walking for an extended period of time. I have bad arthritis (well, it's so much better now), and just walking 2.5 mph on a treadmill with no incline was painful.

I've been here two months now, I've lost 21 pounds, I'm at the gym 6 days a week for 2 hours, I have a personal trainer (now) for my lifting.

Do they offer classes? I've found that I enjoy taking yoga/pilates/boxing/belly dancing much more than walking on a treadmill, but that's a good place to start.

Just don't give up.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Agreed with asking for a tour. And I'd say maybe start just walking on the treadmill, because you'll want to start slow (don't burn yourself out) and make sure your joints can take it. See if there are any classes you might be interested in taking.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member

Congrats on your accomplishments!

Thanks! It really does help to look back and see where you were and how far you've come. (I just hate that it takes so long!) And having come this little bitty bit, I hope it's an encouragement to others as I have been encouraged reading about other people too.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Go for the first few times at a less busy time so you can get a feel for things and ask a worker for a tour and to explain anything you want to see how to use! Its their job!!!

You can do it, I'm proud of you!
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    It's good to do some research on a plan you can follow at the gym to get best results.. like cardio and strength combined in a routine and set days, ect...

I waited until I was 5kg from goal (only been there 3 weeks now) to join the gym and I wish I joined sooner... It's a little daunting and awkward at first if you aren't used to people watching you exercise but you soon get over it. Good luck.