Insurance & Boob Jobs

Options
Pedal_Pusher
Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
I have a friend named Amber that swears insurance won't pay for her friend's boob job. This is ridiculous, right? Has anyone had success with their insurance company when it comes to doing the right thing and paying for a boob job? I've got some money riding on this so I'm hoping I can prove her WRONG. Help me out here.............................

Replies

• workoutgirl23
    Options
    Insurance is not gonna pay for a boob job. because its cosmic surgery, its not necessary. although, insurance may cover a breast reduction surgery, if the woman has a lot of back problems from her breasts being too big. but there is no way an insurance company is going to cover a woman getting bigger boobs. no way.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Need more info as to why its 'the right thing' to have an insurance company pay for elective surgery that is not medically necessary.

Perhaps in the case of a mastectomy patient who needs reconstructive surgery, yes

For someone who just wants bigger boobs, no
  • Maude_Lewbowski
    Maude_Lewbowski Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I have an insurance policy ON mine but no insurance company would pay for them. I did.
  • erinlea75
    erinlea75 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Insurance does not typically cover cosmetic procedures.

There would be a few exceptions to this of course. For example, reconstructive surgery after a mastectomy.

I've also heard of insurance covering partial costs of tummy tucks, if the apron is really bad or if the muscles underneath are severely separated
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Insurance is not gonna pay for a boob job. because its cosmic surgery, its not necessary. although, insurance may cover a breast reduction surgery, if the woman has a lot of back problems from her breasts being too big. but there is no way an insurance company is going to cover a woman getting bigger boobs. no way.

I think there has been some links done between medical illness such as negative body image depression and the insurance company stepping up. That doesn't make it right.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options

Haha!! 'Cosmic Surgery'! Oh brother!
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    cosmetic surgery. sorry, spelled that wrong. so sue me. :(
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Haha!! 'Cosmic Surgery'! Oh brother!

Hey Ariana..............your boobs are Cosmic :-) Just sayin'..................
  • MustBeTheRows
    MustBeTheRows Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I know someone that got their insurance to pay for implants, however she needed complete reconstructive surgery from the waist up from a horrible car accident.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    If that was the case I would have awesome boobs right now.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The teachers union here in buffalo has a provision in their policy that allows insurance to pay for boob jobs. They pretty much just have the say that having small boobs makes them depressed because of poor self esteem and that effects their job, yada yada yada. Then voila, free boob job. I'm not kidding, feel free to google it.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Last year I got my insurance to cover my surgery. However the dr had to remove a certain amount and it would have taken me from a DD to a small B. I know it would make a huge difference for my shoulders and back. However I'm not going to allow the insurance to make that choice. My goal is to pay for the surgery myself (apx $5200) after I lose the weight I need to if I still need it. My insurance states it doesn't pay but the dr office filled out the required papers to get an appeal approved.
  • hcg1
    hcg1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Most insurance will only pay if its reconstruction surgery or mastectomy. Thats after complete review from Doctor and clinical information.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had success with their insurance company when it comes to doing the right thing and paying for a boob job?

In my opinion, it's only 'doing the right thing' when the surgery is for reconstructive purposes - like after a woman loses her breasts to cancer. I don't want my insurance premiums going up so that women can have larger breasts for cosmetic and/or emotional purposes. I think that would be ridiculous.
  • DianatheRed
    Options
    So my bil mom got a boob job paid for by insurance. She claimed that her self-image was bad and this was just the thing to cure her.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    If that was the case I would have awesome boobs right now.

You and me both honey.
  • erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I do know someone who had insurance pay for a boob job. She claimed having small boobs was effecting her mental health because her confidence was so low. FREE BOOBS!
  • mrsevanrust
    Options
    I was a nurse for a cosmetic surgeron for a few years and typically the only way to get them paid for by insurance is, if it is for reconstruction after breast cancer. Something you may want to suggest to your friend is to find a surgeon that participates in studies. New types of implants need to be "tested" on patients all the time. If her surgeon offers that, she can have them done for free (not including anesthesia) and will even have all of her mammograms and breast MRI's paid for, for the next 10 yrs.
  • ekking69
    ekking69 Posts: 44
    Options
    I've been selling health insurance for decades (oh my god I sound so old!). I have never heard of health insurance covering a "boob job" unless it's after a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. Sometimes, they may allow coverage for a reduction, as someone else said, if there is a history of back problems, documented by their physician. But elective no way. Bigger, no way. Reduction no way, unless you can get an exception. I would recommend visiting your doctor for some back pain if you plan on getting a reduction, cause you aren't going to have a chance of getting it covered otherwise.

Good luck!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    19_popcorn_beer.gif